Sponsored

7.2kw on-board generator tutorial for newbie?

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
i have played around with the 7.2kw generator on my PB F150 a few times, as a newbie, i have the following quesitons:

1. when the truck is completely off, can i still use the generator?

2. i noticed there are A and B circuits, which outlets belong to A, and which belong to B? i also noticed sometimes only A is powered on, i had to press the Generator mode again to have B turn on.

3. do i have to leave the truck on the entire time when something's plug into one of the outlets?

thank you guys in advance.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
i have played around with the 7.2kw generator on my PB F150 a few times, as a newbie, i have the following quesitons:

1. when the truck is completely off, can i still use the generator?

2. i noticed there are A and B circuits, which outlets belong to A, and which belong to B? i also noticed sometimes only A is powered on, i had to press the Generator mode again to have B turn on.

3. do i have to leave the truck on the entire time when something's plug into one of the outlets?

thank you guys in advance.
Power only available w/ engine in "on" position. Under normal driving conditions it outputs ~480w (4a) via in-truck outlets. By hitting the "gen" button on the dash, the 2 in-truck outlets will output their full 20 amps at 120v. It doesn't really matter which is A and which is B, they output the same amount of power. One set of the in-bed outlets is A and the other set is B. To figure out which is which, just plug something in and read the screen. The in-cab outlets are part of the A circuit. The green button in the bed is the same as the generator button on the dash. The truck must be in the "run" position for any power to come out in any level.

fwunder

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A Sport 7.2Kw
Occupation
retired
Camping tip...

When using generator mode going into the evening, make sure your headlights are OFF and not set to auto sense.

If you don't and you retire to your camper before sunset, the headlights will automatically come on and blast the folks across the way and stay on until someone politely ( you hope ) comes by to remind you your headlights are on! :rolleyes:

dogboye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Camping tip...

When using generator mode going into the evening, make sure your headlights are OFF and not set to auto sense.

If you don't and you retire to your camper before sunset, the headlights will automatically come on and blast the folks across the way and stay on until someone politely ( you hope ) comes by to remind you your headlights are on! :rolleyes:
Hopefully you don't speak from experience on this.
It seems like the kind of thing I would do...

Sponsored

tmdaley

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 HEV Lariat
i also use my power boost for a camping trailer and I would add this: turn off the climate control and radio as well as headlights and welcome lights. Less distraction and less power use (so less ICE running)

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I'm going to be making a cover/shield for the dashboard display as well, since it can't be turned off. Will likely cut something out of masonite and put adhesive foam padding on the back side and a handle on the other. That, combined with fully turning off the sync display, lights, and HVAC should make it fairly dark inside.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I'm going to be making a cover/shield for the dashboard display as well, since it can't be turned off. Will likely cut something out of masonite and put adhesive foam padding on the back side and a handle on the other. That, combined with fully turning off the sync display, lights, and HVAC should make it fairly dark inside.
Yeah, hitting the display button to turn it off works on the 12" at least. As far as the dash goes it can be minimally dimmed. If it's a hot day I'd consider turning the AC to the highest numerical value (I think it's 88) w/ low fan speed (auto). All of the interior electronics are passively cooled and while they can sit at higher temps just fine, operating at them tends to shorten their lives. It's very minimal additional power. I wouldn't worry about any additional glow. If you've got tinted windows very little will be seen. Helps with LEDS too as they're not heat friendly.

In the winter, the cold is fine.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Dang, that sounds nice. I was thinking about stuffing a rag in there, or maybe covering it with a paper bag. 😁

Sponsored

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
Put my truck in gen mode, plugged in a communications truck with server, router, radios Satcom and it ran just fine. My first time actually using the Powerboost. Ran great!
However, on the screen, it did not show any usage on bank A where I had it plugged it into.
Did I do something wrong? Also nothing showing in FordPass.
Any ideas?

OP
OP

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
within the Pro Power Onboard settings, what if i just have the power button (to the left of Generator Mode) turned on but leave the Generator Mode off, which outlets will supply power in that case?

Last edited:

JoeRedFly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Working
within the Pro Power Onboard settings, what if i just have the power button (to the left of Generator Mode) turned on but leave the Generator Mode off, which outlets will supply power in that case?
The in cab outlets.

In other news, after reading this thread I had to go find the mentioned display button to turn off the 12" display. Sure as heck it really does exist. Gotta love the internets.

OP
OP

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
The in cab outlets.

In other news, after reading this thread I had to go find the mentioned display button to turn off the 12" display. Sure as heck it really does exist. Gotta love the internets.
on that note, do you mind share where that button is to turn off the display? often time i sit in the truck with engine off, but the truck senses i'm inside the cabin so the screen would stay on, i don't want that to drain the battery when i was just sitting in there waiting for my kid's fencing class.
Sponsored