oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
Very disappointing!

I guess if you do end up buying a new saw retail, you can test it in the parking lot and return it 5 minutes later if it trips the truck lol

But seriously, very disappointing. That initial inrush must be massive on those things!
The problem with these saws sounds a little like a ground fault issue. Most saws and some other power tools have a brush type motors. Over time the brushes wear and deposit a thin coating of carbon dust on everything in the housing. An older tool may have a metal case and a three wire plug/cord. The dust can conduct a small amount of current from the brush holder to the case (which is grounded) and would trip a ground fault protected circuit. Most home circuits are not ground fault protected except in the bathroom and some kitchen outlets. Therefore the saws seem ok when used in common wall outlets. It only takes a small amount of current to cause a ground
fault (maybe as low as 5 or 10 milliamps). The propower outlets are pretty sensitive for this.
Double insulated appliances with a 2 wire plug/cord don't normally present this problem.
You might have some success by using compressed high pressure air to blow out the dust around the brusholders in these tools.
Sponsored

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
I have the exact same problem, just a different tool. 7.2 kWh generator, runs anything I can throw at it, but it trips instantly when I try to use my concrete core drill. Same thing, placard rated for 15 amps at 120v. No breakers trip, it literally just turns off the generator. Press the green button and it comes back on.

I thought about a ground fault error, but using a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter (removing the ground pin) made no change. It trips so fast that the drill doesn't even make a sound, doesn't even begin to rotate, nothing. And it's just that tool. I've run many other 15 amp tools with 0 issues, and I've even managed to pull 7100 watts consistently with it. It just will not power the drill for some reason. I have a dealer visit scheduled for other reasons, I'll bring the drill and see what they say.

Redskins5

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Government
An appliance, saw etc. should never pull more than its electrical rating at startup. Ie a saw rated at 15 amps should not pull more than 15 amps at startup and then run at less amps once running. As a device ages it can begin to require more amperage to run and start.

OP
OP

150LTD

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 150 Limited
Occupation
contractor
"... I have a dealer visit scheduled for other reasons, I'll bring the drill and see what they say.
I'll be curious to see what the dealer says. I'll post more on Monday after I get back from a weekend project.

Deamonic3: this morning i tried my circular saw again. as expected shut off generator instantly. however, On occasion, i do get a minimal rotation of the blade. Sometimes it just clicks off, other times I'll get a little rotation. I waited a few minutes for the engine to kick on. Same result. sometimes clicked off, sometimes a little rotation. There does not appear to be any stronger current with the engine on.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Yep, I think this says it here (from the article): “Inrush current can be 4 to 10 times greater than the normal running current, depending on the type of motor.”

They also go on to explain why a household circuit/breaker can handle that (momentary) high current.

However the pro power system uses an electronic inverter that has electronic protection which is much faster to respond to the high current inrush (likely sensing it as a short) and shuts down as a protective measure.

Still, given this info I would expect the 2kw system to trip for a saw but I would think that the 7.2kw system could handle it. Maybe it’s not a single 7kw inverter but rather two 3.6kw inverters (either internally or externally).

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
seems to be the Dewalt DWS716XPS that is the saw used in the Ford advertisement.

Maybe I should get one of those to go with new truck....whenever that is

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
seems to be the Dewalt DWS716XPS that is the saw used in the Ford advertisement.

Maybe I should get one of those to go with new truck....whenever that is
My guess would be that any saw which has a soft start feature should be OK.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Are you using an extension cord? If so what gauge and how long is it? Is it in new condition? All those facts can make a difference.

macsinbragg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 f 150
Saw wont work either. Sander does but not the saw. If anyone finds a solution please let us know. Seems lame if it won't run the saw that is shows in the ad?

Sponsored

col

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Wow - this forum is great.

Separate to this thread, I tried today to use my miter saw (Dewalt DW705 120V 15amp). Surprising to me, the Pro Power 7.2K shut down similar to 150LTD - "max power exceed". I was able to reset the circuit through the touch screen.

Thinking it may be pulling too much power on the start up, I plugged in a shop vac in the same circuit and had it running. It pulls about 1000w while running. Then I started up the miter saw while the shop vac is still running and bam - works.

The saw is a little slower to come up to speed but works just fine. I tested this multiple times and a couple times the circuit reset. With no other devices running on the same circuit the miter saw never ran and Pro Power turned off the circuit. I also tested it with a small electric speaker that pulls well less than 200w and the saw worked each time.

The issue seems to be starting up the saw pulls too much on the circuit if nothing else is drawing from it.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow that is interesting and makes me think perhaps the protection circuit is software based. Something like watching for a current spike as a percentage of current draw.

With nothing else running it sees the spike as a more significant surge and potential short so shuts it down. I wonder if an update can fix it.

ImMrKeith

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I have a Limited which came standard with Power Boost and the 7.2kw generator.

I’m reaching out to this forum as I’m hopeful someone might have some ideas for me. I am having an issue with the 7.2KW Pro Power on Board generator.

I am under the impression that the tailgate receptacles (110v) should be able to power handheld power tools. However, I have a Ridgid 10” 15amp Miter saw and every time I plug it in and attempt to start the saw it shuts-off the generator. It does NOT trip the circuit breaker, but it shuts off power to the receptacle. My Saw works as expected on house power.

To troubleshoot, I plugged in a regular Dewalt 15A circular saw, and the Circular saw also shut-off power to the receptacles. Not sure this is important, but both saws would begin to fire up, the blades would spin for a fraction of a second, and then shut off.

Additionally, and to troubleshoot further, I purchased a 240v/35a trailer adapter that converted the 240v/35A outlet to four 20A/120V receptacles. When the saws were connected to the trailer adapter (purchased brand new from Camping World), both saws again shut off power to the receptacles. To be clear, the saws were never connected at the same time. These were 2 independent tests.

I have read through this forum and the most I can find is information about resetting tripped circuit breakers. However, the circuit breakers are not “tripping”. before each attempt to power my saw, i plugged in a light bulb to make sure they had power. The generator is simply being tuned-off. There is a little orange light under neath the green power button in the tailgate. when power is on, the light is a solid orange, when it 'shuts-off' it flashes orange.

If anyone in this forum has any guidance, thoughts, ideas or suggestions they are greatly appreciated....
Have you tried to do the self test that the on-board power has? Are you getting any notifications on the screen that say ground fault detected? Your equipment needs to have all 3 prongs on the plugs.

poconojoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 f150
An appliance, saw etc. should never pull more than its electrical rating at startup. Ie a saw rated at 15 amps should not pull more than 15 amps at startup and then run at less amps once running. As a device ages it can begin to require more amperage to run and start.
Most anything with a motor will draw more than its rating on startup.. circuit breakers are designed to allow this for a VERY short time...
Sponsored