First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
True. I'll get you the model and year soon. It's on my video post a couple pages back.
If your mitre saw can work without the batteries then I would try to make it work with the batteries removed, just a test....
Sponsored

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Well... if it's just a software change... can't they update your module? (Doubtful since it took 4 MONTHS for them to even fess up that they knew there was an issue with "early model" PowerBoosts.)

Also, do you happen to know which module or when the change happened (going from AE to AF)? It'd be nice to figure out a way to check the software version without having to go into the dealership.
My dealer was able to flash the DCACA module using the ODBCII port today, I got the truck home and tested the Pro Power.

Before, my saw would not start.
Now, my saw starts.
I only had time to do one cut of a 4x4 post and it worked. I didn't go slowly on that 4x4 either, I cut as quickly as possible to draw as much current as possible.

So, the problem appears resolved for me.

Also, the saw now behaves as though it has a soft start applied. When I start the saw under pro power it slowly ramps speed up for 2 to 3 seconds, then it kicks on with full power.
When I'm connected to shore power I get all the power right away.

I really don't care about the difference, I am just really happy that the saw now works on pro power. It means other items that have a low impedance load are likely to work too.

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
If your mitre saw can work without the batteries then I would try to make it work with the batteries removed, just a test....
That would be interesting if I owned batteries, but I'd have to invest. I also happen to know that this software performs worse on batteries, but it could be used in a pinch. But, I'd also still have a defective Pro Power On Board and have problems with other loads. I'm glad that the new software (version AF, I had version AE) seems to resolve my problem.

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
I regularly run a Rigid 10" table saw off my 7.2, Engine on, Generator mode, engine cycles on/off as needed to charge the battery, no issues so far.
If I read your tag line right, you have a 2022, which, I bet has software AF loaded on it. Does your saw seem to soft start when run on Pro Power and start more quickly when run on shore power?

Sponsored

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
That would be interesting if I owned batteries, but I'd have to invest. I also happen to know that this software performs worse on batteries, but it could be used in a pinch. But, I'd also still have a defective Pro Power On Board and have problems with other loads. I'm glad that the new software (version AF, I had version AE) seems to resolve my problem.
Sorry I thought your saw had batteries.

OCDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150, focus, corolla
Occupation
Software Engineer
My dealer was able to flash the DCACA module using the ODBCII port today, I got the truck home and tested the Pro Power.

Before, my saw would not start.
Now, my saw starts.
I only had time to do one cut of a 4x4 post and it worked. I didn't go slowly on that 4x4 either, I cut as quickly as possible to draw as much current as possible.

So, the problem appears resolved for me.

Also, the saw now behaves as though it has a soft start applied. When I start the saw under pro power it slowly ramps speed up for 2 to 3 seconds, then it kicks on with full power.
When I'm connected to shore power I get all the power right away.

I really don't care about the difference, I am just really happy that the saw now works on pro power. It means other items that have a low impedance load are likely to work too.

I followed along with this thread the entire time it was going because I had the exact same issue with my 2021 Job 1 truck (3/2021 build) and miter saw (as well as some other 15a tools). It was even more annoying since I have a 5 year old Dewalt DW715, which is almost the exact same saw Ford used in the all the early advertisements for ProPower in 2020/2021 - I believe I had it pegged as the DWS716XPS. Never worked from day 1, didn't pop the breaker, but the truck would just report that propower was "overloaded" on the screen. I knew it likely related to inrush current, but the two dealerships that I took it to said that it was working as designed and that I just wouldn't be able to use the handful of 15a tools that weren't working.

I finally got around to convincing a new dealership to update the DCACA module this week. It now works every time as expected. (Side note: I was missing a ton of other module updates as well, even though I was up to date on OTA updates). Frustratingly, the dealership says that Ford refuses to pay them for these updates unless they tie to a specific TSB that Ford has released, which is insane since Ford reps refused to acknowledge the problem when I reached out.

Anyway, just wanted to circle back and confirm that this was the fix (at least for 2021 Job 1 trucks that were experiencing this issue) in case anyone comes across this thread in the future.

Thanks @AverageGuy for tracking down the solution!

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
I followed along with this thread the entire time it was going because I had the exact same issue with my 2021 Job 1 truck (3/2021 build) and miter saw (as well as some other 15a tools). It was even more annoying since I have a 5 year old Dewalt DW715, which is almost the exact same saw Ford used in the all the early advertisements for ProPower in 2020/2021 - I believe I had it pegged as the DWS716XPS. Never worked from day 1, didn't pop the breaker, but the truck would just report that propower was "overloaded" on the screen. I knew it likely related to inrush current, but the two dealerships that I took it to said that it was working as designed and that I just wouldn't be able to use the handful of 15a tools that weren't working.

I finally got around to convincing a new dealership to update the DCACA module this week. It now works every time as expected. (Side note: I was missing a ton of other module updates as well, even though I was up to date on OTA updates). Frustratingly, the dealership says that Ford refuses to pay them for these updates unless they tie to a specific TSB that Ford has released, which is insane since Ford reps refused to acknowledge the problem when I reached out.

Anyway, just wanted to circle back and confirm that this was the fix (at least for 2021 Job 1 trucks that were experiencing this issue) in case anyone comes across this thread in the future.

Thanks @AverageGuy for tracking down the solution!
So glad to read this post @OCDoug! That's warms my heart. And the most fun part, you get to use your saw now! Sweet!

When I learned that Ford has a fix for their newer trucks and this is a known issue, it was a real bummer to think about all the money and time I had invested in trying to convince them it's not my saw that was the problem(learning about inrush electricity as I'm a novice and buying tools to test it and devise tests). Trying to convince an electrical engineer they are wrong when you aren't an electrical engineer is not easy. Still, I am surprised Ford hasn't issued a TSB for customers who are in our situation because it isn't trivial to get access to the 7.2kw Pro Power. You have to upgrade the motor and then pay for the Pro Power. It was at least another roughly $5k. I think that was a miss on their part.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
So glad to read this post @OCDoug! That's warms my heart. And the most fun part, you get to use your saw now! Sweet!

When I learned that Ford has a fix for their newer trucks and this is a known issue, it was a real bummer to think about all the money and time I had invested in trying to convince them it's not my saw that was the problem(learning about inrush electricity as I'm a novice and buying tools to test it and devise tests). Trying to convince an electrical engineer they are wrong when you aren't an electrical engineer is not easy. Still, I am surprised Ford hasn't issued a TSB for customers who are in our situation because it isn't trivial to get access to the 7.2kw Pro Power. You have to upgrade the motor and then pay for the Pro Power. It was at least another roughly $5k. I think that was a miss on their part.
It's a simple software update that FDRS can do if you have the adapter.

The hybrid option includes a lot of features that other trucks would typically have to pay extra for so it's not really an apples to apples comparison. It's just the base V6 is a terrible engine for a vehicle like this.

Sponsored

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
It's a simple software update that FDRS can do if you have the adapter.

The hybrid option includes a lot of features that other trucks would typically have to pay extra for so it's not really an apples to apples comparison. It's just the base V6 is a terrible engine for a vehicle like this.
I just looked up "FDRS", seems interesting. Is it $925 license? Or is that something I could purchase as a limited license for troubleshooting? Even so, I'd be afraid I'd do something silly and brick my truck. My dealer did that once to my truck already :)

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just looked up "FDRS", seems interesting. Is it $925 license? Or is that something I could purchase as a limited license for troubleshooting? Even so, I'd be afraid I'd do something silly and brick my truck. My dealer did that once to my truck already :)
well the adapter is $500, but you can buy a 2 day license. I'm not saying you should buy the adapter from amazon, get the FDRS 2 day license and then return it. It's a possibility though.

I mean it's pretty simple. I even had FDRS crash mid-update and it recovered. There are cheaper adapters that have mixed results. If you don't have the inverter update, you're likely missing a whole host of updates that'd take the better part of 5 hours of 'babysitting' your truck. There's no other way to get them.

IPMA update for instance takes 3 hours once you tell it to go. Most of the others are a few minutes. It's pretty simple. Most is key on, engine off, turn off all lights / the screen / dome etc... on the long updates with a 15a battery charger connected and you'll have no issues. (unlike the MME which runs cooling pumps pulling 32 amps from a really small 12v battery, had to connect up the powerboost to it just to it once it approached 10v on the nose. The F150 was nothing of note w/ updates)

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Found the 7.2 Inverter's specs....

The DCACA inverter has a self-protection feature for the following conditions:
  • Short circuits on the inverter output circuits: The inverter shuts down if it detects a short on the output circuit(s).
  • Low voltage input: The inverter does not operate when the input voltage is less than 9 volts in the 12V power feed or 168 volts in the high voltage power feed.
  • High voltage input: The inverter does not operate when the input voltage is greater than 16 volts in the 12V power feed or 330 volts in the high voltage power feed.
  • Load exceeds 130% for 2 seconds of inverter output. (9.36kw)
  • High temperature: The inverter does not operate if it has exceeded 199.3°F (93°C).
So there's its 2 second surge information. From my EV charging tests I know it will do ~7.5x kW for over 90 minutes. It's liquid cooled so not sure why the temp stuff is in there -- even a little bit of water cooling goes a very long way.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So did you find an elusive source of documentation? Or was it right under our nose all along? :)
Sponsored