First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, tracking now for sure. I'm an aircraft mechanic, so my electrical experience is 12v/24v systems :-D So as long as each trailer doesn't go over 3600Watts, you're running two trailers, each capability of pulling 3600Watts and the truck is measure each circuit on it's own. Does anyone know how the truck behaves if you go above 3600W? The A/C unit will have a spike on startup, will the battery on the truck help handle a surge in wattage over 3600, or will it trip a breaker of some sort (I imagine it's a digital breaker?)

If you hooked up something that was 240, would the inside of the truck still read it/consider it as two circuits (A & B) within the truck? Or does it understand it's hooked up to 240 and is one circuit of 7200W?
I think you got it now! I am also an engineer but I do stuff in solid state and power grids in phones and watches from a teeny tiny battery. A lot of power grid principles map over though so when I do my research it makes a lot of sense, and I've had to do a LOT of googling on these dang plugs!

The "what happens if you exceed 3600W" is a great question. With DC it will droop the supply or brown it out if there is not protection. But this thing is AC and a complex invertor with a complex microcontroller so everything would just be speculation on our parts.

The TFL guys maxed it out using an electric car, both circuits clipped right at 30A. But that car is a "smart" load that will adjust its resistance so as not to short out the supply. So at least the microcontroller inside knows to clip it at 30A steady state load. But it doesn't tell us anything about transient response or surge protection.
Sponsored