First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
This is potentially a huge deal for folks with the 2.4 kW. I bet a lot of folks who got the 2.4 will realize how much potential a huge generator built into their truck has, and will want this upgrade. If you can detail the parts needed, it will eventually help a bunch of folks. I honestly don't know why Ford even offered the 2.4 kW option when the generator is arguably the most important feature.
Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Well ford Just called, they got approval to fix the problem and they are getting the parts needed to change it out
I'm incredibly interested in details that you can share about upgrading from 2.4 to 7.2
Part numbers, process, etc.

ssbn740

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost; 2016 Explorer Limited
I will see what I can do.

Service Manager didnt seem like it was too big of a deal lol we will find out if thats the case
I was told it wasn't able to be changed post build which to me makes sense. A 7.2 will draw more current so it will need lower gauge wiring than the 2.4. I was also told the inverter for the 2.4 was located under the rear seat and the 7.2 was located under the bed and the bed had to be selected when ordering. Following to see where this goes

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The 2.4 inverter is located in a different place, but I don't think there's two different beds for the two ProPower options. If so, that's quite a surprise.

I also don't think it's a small task to equip a 2.4 truck with the 7.2 components, but it is just components. I don't envy the fella pulling and routing the wiring harnesses, but I'm guessing that's doable as well.

To me the biggest question mark isn't hardware but editing the AsBuilt data to the necessary modules..... isn't obvious to me? I certainly haven't seen any built-in FDRS scripts or subroutines for addressing it. Although there's fellas that can sideload completely new images into existing modules. Ford could certainly provide such files and firmware.

Still, this is definitely unique.

OP
OP
RJP

RJP

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Power Boost
UPDATE: 6/28/22 After weeks of telephone calls between ford and the dealership and me, they say the parts will be in on Friday to start the change over. Do I have confidence in this? NO but we will see. They also told me they will give me a complete list of parts that were needed for the fix. We will see..
PS. Ford in Detroit have been really good to get it fixed , its been the local shop that we have the most problems with. Also they do read these post as they contacted me before I could get ahold of them.

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Great news! It's good to hear Ford is stepping up to correct its mistake.

Please keep us posted as this progresses!

-Eric

OP
OP
RJP

RJP

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok now I am worried Ford in Detroit just called and said they are sending 1 part to the dealership and should be there by Friday and it would fix the problem. no way in hell 1 part is going to fix the changeover. I am hoping the young lady was misinformed about it being only 1 part.

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
Ok now I am worried Ford in Detroit just called and said they are sending 1 part to the dealership and should be there by Friday and it would fix the problem. no way in hell 1 part is going to fix the changeover. I am hoping the young lady was misinformed about it being only 1 part.
If they'd already sent a ton of parts why couldn't it just be one part?

OP
OP
RJP

RJP

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok Just off the phone with Ford and heres todays update 7/1/22 When I took the vehicle in this week they spent a good 1 and 1/2 hours just taking pictures of what was there and what wasnt. They tell me today to bring my Vehicle in on Tuesday to be fixed. I asked what the one part was and it was the 7.2 generator only and the bed plug in panel. They everything was already there including the wiring and they put the 2.4 Gen in it for whatever reason.

WE SHALL SEE.

OP
OP
RJP

RJP

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok Just off the phone with Ford and heres todays update 7/1/22 When I took the vehicle in this week they spent a good 1 and 1/2 hours just taking pictures of what was there and what wasnt. They tell me today to bring my Vehicle in on Tuesday to be fixed. I asked what the one part was and it was the 7.2 generator only and the bed plug in panel. They everything was already there including the wiring and they put the 2.4 Gen in it for whatever reason.

WE SHALL SEE.
It would be surprising if this is true - but if it is - it is a great answer to those "Can I retrofit from 2.4kw to 7.2kw?" threads!

Keep us posted!

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
It would be surprising if this is true - but if it is - it is a great answer to those "Can I retrofit from 2.4kw to 7.2kw?" threads!

Keep us posted!
It's possible that for his specific truck, everything else is already there since he ordered the 7.2kW system. It may be different for 2.4kW trucks.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Yea, if that inverter was already installed underneath the truck, rather than the one that is in the cab, then I guess it wouldn't be a big deal.

What complicates the upgrade IS the different location of the 2 inverters, and thus the wiring harness routing.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's possible that for his specific truck, everything else is already there since he ordered the 7.2kW system. It may be different for 2.4kW trucks.
Fine, rain on the parade. :LOL:

OP
OP
RJP

RJP

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok folks its in and working. Took less than 30 mins to fix. Everything was already in the vehicle and connections were just laid over if not in use. parts used 7.2 gen and rear receptacle panel.
Sponsored