Sponsored

7.2 kW generator retrofit?

nickyhotlips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
When I built out my truck, I (foolishly) settled for the 2.4 kW generator package - any idea if there will be an option to upgrade/retrofit the 7.2 kW generator in the future?

From what I can tell, the drivetrain is the same for both generators - it seems that the generator itself (plus hardware) could be replaced without affecting the hybrid engine set-up.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 302A soon to be 2021 F150 KR PB
No clue if it could be done...honestly not even sure why they offer the 2.4kw on the powerboost. Seems like an unnecessary option. They should just roll the cost of the 7.2kw system into the package.

Good luck in your quest

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
When I built out my truck, I (foolishly) settled for the 2.4 kW generator package - any idea if there will be an option to upgrade/retrofit the 7.2 kW generator in the future?

From what I can tell, the drivetrain is the same for both generators - it seems that the generator itself (plus hardware) could be replaced without affecting the hybrid engine set-up.

Any thoughts?
My dealer said the engineers at Ford said no to an upgrade package.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I consciously chose the 2.4 KW because it's enough to power what I want and what I'd anticipate needing in an emergency, with the possibility of there being a way to upgrade it. If the PB becomes popular enough, it's a safe bet someone's going to come up with a 3rd party solution even if Ford doesn't make one.

Sponsored

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I consciously chose the 2.4 KW because it's enough to power what I want and what I'd anticipate needing in an emergency, with the possibility of there being a way to upgrade it. If the PB becomes popular enough, it's a safe bet someone's going to come up with a 3rd party solution even if Ford doesn't make one.
maybe... but I bet 75% of powerboosts are 7.2kw optioned. I'm not sure the numbers will be big enough to get an upgrader company's attention...

I guess we'll see

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
maybe... but I bet 75% of powerboosts are 7.2kw optioned. I'm not sure the numbers will be big enough to get an upgrader company's attention...

I guess we'll see
Mine is pre-built. I didn't want to roll the dice regarding a delayed build, and from what I can see I'm glad I made that decision.
All pre-built PB F150s are 2.4kw unless you get the Limited trim. I doubt there are more custom builds out in the wild than there are from what you can pick up at a dealership.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Mine is pre-built. I didn't want to roll the dice regarding a delayed build, and from what I can see I'm glad I made that decision.
All pre-built PB F150s are 2.4kw unless you get the Limited trim. I doubt there are more custom builds out in the wild than there are from what you can pick up at a dealership.
Mine was pre-built. Not limited. Has 7.2kw.

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That was not my experience at least when searching incoming area inventory at least as it related to Platinum and King Ranch trims,. The vast majority had been ordered by the dealer with the 7.2kw system.

Last edited:

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
True, 2.4 KW is more than enough for most people. That will power 2 full size refrigerators and a freezer in emergency situations.

Sponsored

OpsWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost
Looks like all PowerBoost's get the 35-kW (47 horsepower) electric motor. It supports 2.4kW or 7.2kW. Looks like the Inverter is what you need, assuming the circuits are sufficient. Same 1.5kW-hr battery too.

Ford F-150 7.2 kW generator retrofit? F-150-power-onboard-generator-explained

Don't see why you couldn't mount the 7.2kw inverter and bed components then update the computer.

I did get lucky and found a pre-built Lariat w/ 7.2kw 501a but it was very hard here in CA.

Would be happy to check for part #'s or cables for you @nickyhotlips

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Looks like all PowerBoost's get the 35-kW (47 horsepower) electric motor. It supports 2.4kW or 7.2kW. Looks like the Inverter is what you need, assuming the circuits are sufficient. Same 1.5kW-hr battery too.

F-150-power-onboard-generator-explained.jpg

Don't see why you couldn't mount the 7.2kw inverter and bed components then update the computer.

I did get lucky and found a pre-built Lariat w/ 7.2kw 501a but it was very hard here in CA.

Would be happy to check for part #'s or cables for you @nickyhotlips
I bet the wiring harness is substantially heavier on the 7.2 and it is certainly different because of the 240 outlet and having three outlets instead of two. Seems not doable for a reasonable effort. Plus software differences tagged to specific VINs would likely require Ford cooperation even if feasible.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction

Any thoughts?
Gonna need the 7.2 power inverter and power box at rear. It probably gonna cost way more now unless you find a wrecked 2021 with it.

OpsWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost
I bet the wiring harness is substantially heavier on the 7.2 and it is certainly different because of the 240 outlet and having three outlets instead of two. Seems not doable for a reasonable effort. Plus software differences tagged to specific VINs would likely require Ford cooperation even if feasible.
Yes, logically there would be the right size harness for every optioned truck from build perspective. If you need to replace everything inverter back it will be pricey.

Great video showing the system without a cab on it

Sponsored