First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
A keyway is the slot that this goes in, this is the key. It aligns two parts and in some cases, like a boat motor and prop, is designed to keep them turning at the same rate. A boat motor and prop has a shearable key to allow the prop to strike something without destroying the prop. In this case, the wiper probably has a key to keep it from damaging the wiper arm if something strikes it.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
First time I’ve ever removed wiper blades from a vehicle thanks to @Chasinsparks. I never knew you could remove those! That’s a huge help when detailing, I can finally get all those hard to reach places to get the protectant on! While I had them off, I also cleaned the blades and threw a few coats of was on them. Much easier than when they were on the truck.

Ford F-150 $64,000 Question - What Is This? FF6FD54D-B12D-4CBE-A4B6-F43A96A65344

You guys were dead on. It was a wiper shim. I took off the wiper arms, and sure enough, there was no silver metal piece on either arm.
Ford F-150 $64,000 Question - What Is This? CAF0CEB6-60E2-479C-A9D9-891E523B4652

The shims didn’t seem like they fit in there snugly. They pretty much fell out as soon as I put them in and the bottom half was facing the ground . I’ve left them out so I won’t lose them. I will keep them in the glove box in case I need them for future use unless you all can advise if that piece is integral or not.
Ford F-150 $64,000 Question - What Is This? D2367A00-429B-4464-BB36-DDB36D694572

Some Top Tips I learned while looking the wipers arms over and reinstalling them;
  • Ford F-150s have the same size driver and passenger wipers, 22 inches
  • When reinstalling, it is it is possible to secure them in place either too high or too low on the windshield.

I originally put them way too high where the blades were way up on the windshield, instead of at the bottom. They both went on just fine, so I assumed they were on correctly, but it just didn’t look right to me, so I took them off and tired again.You have to be careful to put them back in the correct position.

Thankfully this it the biggest issue I've had with my truck so far, so if this is it I'm happy! You guys came through on this one, and I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
D2367A00-429B-4464-BB36-DDB36D694572.jpeg

• When reinstalling, it is it is possible to secure them in place either too high or too low on the windshield.

I originally put them way too high where the blades were way up on the windshield, instead of at the bottom. They both went on just fine, so I assumed they were on correctly, but it just didn’t look right to me, so I took them off and tired again.You have to be careful to put them back in the correct position.
I’d bet a dollar to a donut that there is a slot in that splined wiper post and that is what that key slips into for proper alignment.
Being splined, probably no big deal when positioned properly.
A dab of silicone sealant or crazy glue to keep it placed in the wiper arm would probably be just fine—not going anywhere once that arm is on the post.

I can see where that key protrudes beyond the splines, so there has to be a corresponding slot in the post. If I recall, my Crown Victoria was the same.
(had to pull all the wiper stuff to fix a water leak around the AC box)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was thinking some super glue to get them to stay. Was just reluctant to try that as my first option.

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
You're not alone, I found the exact piece on mine in the exact area.

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Looking at the pics judging from one of the surfaces it broke off from whatever

Sponsored

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
Mine all fell out of my 2016 as well. I never put them back in, and never had an issue.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine all fell out of my 2016 as well. I never put them back in, and never had an issue.
Thank you for the info. My only fear was getting into a heavy rainstorm where I would have to put the wipers through their paces, and one or both comes flying off because of those little pieces missing!

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Just found both of mine had fallen out. Luckily they were both in the indent for the driver's side wiper.

Time for some super glue!
Sponsored