5th Wheel Towing Cab Clearance

Hamiltonian86

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat
I'm going to be installing a 5th wheel hitch into my truck (6.5ft bed) shortly. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the cab clearance from the trailer during cornering/turning. Have you needed to use a slider hitch or have a trailer with the turning point pin box? My old truck (F250) had the 6.5ft bed as well and didn't need it, so I'm wondering if this will be the same. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
The answer depends totally on your 5th wheel hitch pivot-point location and trailer-specific dimensions. Inches can make a big difference and generalizations don't mean a thing.

I tow a 'fiver' with my 2005 F150 6.5ft bed and with my rig I can jackknife the trailer a full 90deg without cab conflict. I already know the hitch location in my soon-to-be picked up 2022 F150 will be exactly the same so expect the same clearance with that rig. But your situation may be different.

Ford F-150 5th Wheel Towing Cab Clearance r ALAN E  5_0 RIG

Ford F-150 5th Wheel Towing Cab Clearance r IMG_1675

Ford F-150 5th Wheel Towing Cab Clearance r IMG_1677

There's a link to the trailer website in my sig-block below. It's designed specifically for full-size 'half-ton' trucks, has a GTWR of 5500#, and tows like an absolute dream on a properly equipped F150.

My hitch is an Andersen Ultimate (not a slider) and mounts on a B&W Turnoverball in the bed. I'll use my current Andersen hitch in the 2022, I have an appointment to get the B&W Turnoverball installed at the B&W factory in Kansas the day after I pick up the new Lariat at Granger Ford in Iowa.

I've been very happy with the Andersen / Turnoverball setup - it's very light (~40 pounds), easy to remove from the bed when not towing, and leaves no rails - the bed is totally 'flat' when the hitch is removed.

Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I didn't find the link in your sig but I found the hitch anyway: https://andersenhitches.com/product/ultimate-connection/

20,000-24,000 pound Gross Trailer Weight Rating so the hitch will handle more than my truck will. . .
Correct, most 5th wheel hitches are rated far above what an F150 can handle because most fivers are huge trailers towed by larger trucks.

Holy cow, the Andersen Ultimate Gooseneck has really gotten expensive since I bought mine, like 25% more o_O
Sponsored