Sponsored

5th-wheel hitch fitment compatibility with 2021 F150 Powerboost

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Realistically I don't see a 5th wheel and a PB to be a good pairing other than the generator function. The 6.5' bed has less payload than the 5.5 on the PB and the PB looses about 200-300lbs in payload, compared to a similar equipped 3.5EB.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
With respect, there are plenty of threads discussing PB and payload. This thread is focusing on the availability of the fifth wheel hitch figment for PB and otherwise for 2021 F150. At this stage, the buyers are fairly well informed about what the payload of the truck will look like and can make their own determination whether that’s a good idea or not.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Realistically I don't see a 5th wheel and a PB to be a good pairing other than the generator function. The 6.5' bed has less payload than the 5.5 on the PB and the PB looses about 200-300lbs in payload, compared to a similar equipped 3.5EB.
For many of us, that’s simply not the case. I tow a horse trailer and payload is not an issue. But the ability to mount a gooseneck hitch is.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree. The comment was both incorrect and irrelevant for this topic. Everyone needs to know (or do their best to estimate) the payload and GVWR of the truck they are buying is, and assess how much payload their towing scenario requires and do their own math. The generalized statements don't help anyone.

Just to share our personal calculations (estimating requirements on a high side to be conservative):
  • driver + passenger weight = 280 lbs
  • 5th wheel hitch weight = 100 lbs (50 lbs for rails + 35 lbs for Anderson Ultimate hitch)
  • 5th wheel Camper (21') tongue weight = 820 (lbs). The rating from mfr is 640 lbs, and I arrived at the 820 lbs number as a conservative estimate after data from multiple current owners who report 800 lbs as their measured value.
Total required = 1200 lbs. I anticipate somewhere between 1350-1400 lbs as my payload. So, why is PB not a good truck for me? Of course, it is, regardless of what solarity might feel about it. Would I have liked more payload - absolutely. Did I think hard about the options and their weight when deciding my build - absolutely. But, we all need to make our individual estimations and decisions, and not outsource our thinking to others or generalize our conclusions to someone else's situation.

I had started this thread for underbed fitment for 5th wheel towing. It is of interest to anyone who has decided that F150 they are buying meets the payload requirement and is looking to install a 5th wheel hitch on it. The bad news is that what's on the market right now does not fit. The good news is that the companies making the fitments are working on the adjustments. Hopefully, they will be coming out in the next 2-3 months.

NoI'mmad

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150PBsoon
Newbie here and on the cusp of ordering F150 EcoBoost WITH 7.2 kw power on board option.
My plan is to enter the full time RV world. Now back on topic, dear old Mr Ford comes out with this brilliant power on board option, an RV dream, and THEN screws it all up by putting it on a vehicle without optimal towing capacity. The chase for a 5th wheel hitch seems very frustrating. Planning on A LOT of driving so 5th wheel seems a good idea.
The payload of a comfortable, moderately equipped Lariat, minimum config for power on board, is already boarder line, a 5th will eat into that AND Ford will not prep the truck for that. Will an after market 5th wheel hitch install void warranties too ?
Is it just me or have Ford apparently dropped the ball at the one yard line ?

Sponsored

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Paul,

First, the F150 EcoBoost WITH 7.2 kw power on board option does not exist. 7.2kW option only exists with PowerBoost engine.

Second, all versions of 2021 F150 seem to require an update in 5th wheel hitches, not just PB. That's not completely unheard of after a major update.

Third, yes - Ford seems to have sacrificed the payload for PB and made if less useful for towing application.

All the best!

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
I would NOT try to tow a fifth wheel with ANY half ton pickup. I know what the "Towing Guide" says, but it will not turn out well.
I've seen many try over my years in the RV business.

NoI'mmad

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150PBsoon
I would NOT try to tow a fifth wheel with ANY half ton pickup. I know what the "Towing Guide" says, but it will not turn out well.
I've seen many try over my years in the RV business.
Many think that 5th wheel means BIG. There are a few 20 footers more or less, fiberglass shells that put up around 650# dry pin weight and themselves are GVWR 5500#
Not looking for a cruise liner type RV but want the 5th wheel for the stability as driving LOTS is my plan. I really enjoy driving !

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@NoI'mmad - Exactly. I simply do not understand why people respond to a very clear and focused topic such as this to dispense advice which includes generalizations that do fit everyone.

Yes, I have a fifth wheel with a dry weight of 3600 lbs and a fully loaded weight rating below 5500 lbs. I created this thread to help myself and those who are looking to tow their fifth wheel with F150 and need hitch fitment that works. General advice on what truck to use for fifth wheels deserves its own thread - likely not on this forum that's focused on F150....

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
I've been in the RV/ truck business over 40 years. Even "small" fifth wheels on a half ton pickup make no sense. The hitch weight is much greater than a travel trailer and then you add in a heavy hitch that takes up almost all of you bed cargo space. The height makes them harder to pull in the wind and much less stable. They require taller storage awnings. There is no stability advantage over a travel trailer equipped with the proper weight distribution hitch.
But hey, in the end, it's your $$$$.
I won't sell a fifth wheel to be towed by a half ton pickup.....period.
I've been around too long. Just sayin'.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very good. It is a very experienced point of view and worth sharing. Would you mind creating a new thread saying that. This topic of this thread seems to be fifth wheel hitch fitment, and your point is off topic.

PS: Since it is buyer's $$$$ - even the lightly informed ones would presumably have checked the payload of the truck they are buying, the weight of the hitch, already know that hitch takes cargo space in the bed, might even have consulted other owners of the same trailers and the tow vehicles they use over 10 years or more, and so on. Why do you insist on belittling their due diligence on their trailers you know little about.

Last edited:

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Relax there kavm.....I didn't belittle anyone.....although I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. Seriously.
Enjoy you fifthwheel.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No worries! I welcome a conversation with someone who has your level of experience. I know very little in comparison - but have tried really hard to research our decisions.

I would love to share what we are trying to do and thinking that got us to this point... It'd be off-topic for this thread. That's what I was saying... Perhaps I will start a conversation thread with you....

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A quick update from B&W - They expect the rail and gooseneck figments to be ready in March - likely mid to late March. They are very responsive and make a very good impression of their company.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
We install more B&W hitches than all other hitches combined. I’ll check on availability from the dealer end in the morning.
Sponsored