Sponsored

5th-wheel hitch fitment compatibility with 2021 F150 Powerboost

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
I am interested in buying 2021 F150 with the new hybrid PowerBoost engine to tow a small 5th wheel camping trailer. This engine has some new underbed components that extend to the rear axle. Whether the 5th wheel hitch underbed fitment is compatible with the new F150/PB has not yet been confirmed.

I wrote to B&W whether their 5th wheel hitch underbed fitment (for rails or gooseneck hitch) are compatible with it. Here is the response I received -

... at this time we don't have any information on the 2021 F150 with the new PowerBoost engine. We have not been able to bring one in house to verify any fitment on those. Unfortunately I don't have a time line of when we are going to be able to either verify fitment or get a truck here in house to verify.

The B&W support person answering my query said that they will have an answer in the coming weeks but do not have a confirmed timeline.

There are others interested in this topic. So, I started this thread to mutually share relevant information.
Sponsored

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Thanks for sharing this, @kavm. I've contacted two Ford dealers so far, neither of whom knew the answer. I've contacted corporate on FB, but they just directed me to the dealerships. Finally I left a voicemail for Ford corporate, but they couldn't even be bothered to reply.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for sharing this, @kavm. I've contacted two Ford dealers so far, neither of whom knew the answer. I've contacted corporate on FB, but they just directed me to the dealerships. Finally I left a voicemail for Ford corporate, but they couldn't even be bothered to reply.
Thank you! I have been trying to follow up on this topic from the beginning and reading every forum with an eye to this topic. I came to the conclusion that a reliable answer will come from the vendors that supply the underbed fitment rather than Ford or its dealership. I don't know all the vendors in the space. I first tried Anderson but found that they only supply hitches and not the underbed fitment. B&W is definitely a reputable vendor. There might be others.

It might be useful if others interested in this topic query other vendors. Also, B&W once the PB trucks reach dealer lots. Seems like B&W hasn't had access to one to evaluate.

Thanks again! Really hoping for an affirmative answer on this.

rfr002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JKUR
I'm curious, too (though I'm wondering about gooseneck). I was also directed to the dealer from corporate and told be B&W that they were unsure.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The response shared above from B&W applies to gooseneck as well as rail hitch fitments. Seems like B&W has not yet had access to the 2021 F150/PB to check their fitments. They will but don't have a timeline for it yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also wrote to Reese. The response I received from them is:

No ETA is available for a fit for the 2021 F150. I do not know of any company that offers one as of this morning.

We are holding off buying the truck before confirming that 5th wheel towing will be possible. We don't need it until May but it is challenging to even get an affirmative on that.

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
Just spoke with B&W, they said they need to redo the side plate from the previous model. They said it should be ready during the first of the year.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just spoke with B&W, they said they need to redo the side plate from the previous model. They said it should be ready during the first of the year.
Thank you! That is good to know! I had the following exchange with someone at B&W I have previously been in touch with (and quoted in the original post) as late as Dec 18 focused on the PowerBoost engine.

Unfortunately we still haven't be able to confirm the 2021 F150 models yet. We have just recently verified the Superduty trucks so I am very hopeful that we will have the F150 verified very soon. I will try to reach out to you if I don't hear back from you first.
Did you check 2021 F150 in general or the PB engine? I have been focused on the PB engine as there are more underbed components in the box area. I have focused my queries on the rails for the 5th wheel hitch.

This is the one item I am waiting to confirm before placing an order. Your post give me hope!

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
Thank you! That is good to know! I had the following exchange with someone at B&W I have previously been in touch with (and quoted in the original post) as late as Dec 18 focused on the PowerBoost engine.

Did you check 2021 F150 in general or the PB engine? I have been focused on the PB engine as there are more underbed components in the box area. I have focused my queries on the rails for the 5th wheel hitch.

This is the one item I am waiting to confirm before placing an order. Your post give me hope!
i should have said something. I just said 2021 in general

Sponsored

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you! No worries! I am going to keep pursuing it until confirmation specific for PB.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had a very nice communication with Verlin Keninger at Demco. Looks like they will have a 5th wheel hitch for 2021 F150 in about 6 weeks. I had specifically raised the under body changes related to the PowerBoost engine with them in my communication.

Demco is familiar with the new F-150. We also understand the frame of the truck maybe slightly different. Yes, the Recon hitch may be used in that truck. We do have 2 different versions of the Recon. One that mounts on a goose ball and one that mounts on industry standard 5th wheel bed rails. If you have a goose ball in the bed of the new F-150 you can use Demco part number 8550045 Recon hitch. If you do not have a goose ball in the bed of the truck, Demco is currently working on developing new mounting brackets to the new frame of the F-150. I would estimate we are approximately 6 weeks out yet in getting the brackets developed and in production.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update from B&W - Their Engineering is working on it...

".. let you know we got a 2021 F150 in house yesterday and at this time the part#GNRK1115 is not going to work on the 2021 F150 trucks. Engineering is working on a hitch design for the 2021 F150 and I will let you know as soon as I know further information on this. "

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Update from B&W - Their Engineering is working on it...

".. let you know we got a 2021 F150 in house yesterday and at this time the part#GNRK1115 is not going to work on the 2021 F150 trucks. Engineering is working on a hitch design for the 2021 F150 and I will let you know as soon as I know further information on this. "

Not that this will affect me, but the question remains:
Is the PB frame going to accept the 5th/gooseneck hitch?

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seems like it will, after they have had a chance to redesign the relevant parts.
Sponsored