OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I just purchased a brand new powered steering column w/out active steering for $400 (PN NL3Z-3C529-E). They’re about ~$650 even from places like varsity ford, and ~$800 direct from Ford. Got lucky on an eBay “off the shelf” item. I was hoping to stick to around the $300 range, but that was assuming used, so for a new one I’m not complaining.
Sponsored

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
You can see where it starts by the black area behind the mirror and I would say 12" down on the sides. I am not near my truck for a day or so to take any hard measurements. I think @dolsen followed suite and did the same thing I did, so maybe he can answer better for me?
@SpaceWhiteF150 i just asked for a tint strip across the front of the windshield and they gave me pretty much the exact same thing as what @Jmeo has. If you need measurements, I can get them

Last edited:
OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Well I verified that all of the wiring for the powered steering column runs from the DSM to the a-pillar. I did not pull the a pillar apart to see if it runs up to the steering wheel. But I’ve had the truck apart enough to know there’s no motor connectors, so I’ll only be running wire from the 2 motors to the a-pillar.

Purchased the steering column with motors, steering column shroud, the connectors, wiring, and terminals to get this all installed. I’m sitting around $600 in parts for this. But I think that should be it. I might have to pick up a couple more bolts for the steering column if there are any single use bolts, which I believe there are

Sponsored

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor, 2020 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Firefighter
Well I verified that all of the wiring for the powered steering column runs from the DSM to the a-pillar. I did not pull the a pillar apart to see if it runs up to the steering wheel. But I’ve had the truck apart enough to know there’s no motor connectors, so I’ll only be running wire from the 2 motors to the a-pillar.

Purchased the steering column with motors, steering column shroud, the connectors, wiring, and terminals to get this all installed. I’m sitting around $600 in parts for this. But I think that should be it. I might have to pick up a couple more bolts for the steering column if there are any single use bolts, which I believe there are
You are very determined to check that last box off the 501a to 501b checklist. I for one am impressed with your dedication to the project. I do not see myself going down this road, but I sure enjoy being your passenger.

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
You are very determined to check that last box off the 501a to 501b checklist. I for one am impressed with your dedication to the project. I do not see myself going down this road, but I sure enjoy being your passenger.
Thanks, it’s making this project a lot more enjoyable knowing much of the wiring is already there lol. I don’t want to run a bunch of individual wiring harnesses for all of my additions and would likely spend the time and money replacing whole harnesses. It drives me crazy knowing I have different harnesses than the factory harness for the headlamps

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor, 2020 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Firefighter
Thanks, it’s making this project a lot more enjoyable knowing much of the wiring is already there lol. I don’t want to run a bunch of individual wiring harnesses for all of my additions and would likely spend the time and money replacing whole harnesses. It drives me crazy knowing I have different harnesses than the factory harness for the headlamps
It's not like you splicing things together with electrical tape buddy. You have either OEM or OEM comparable connectors that are pinned, sheathed, and shielded, so no need to let OCD win this one.

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
It's not like you splicing things together with electrical tape buddy. You have either OEM or OEM comparable connectors that are pinned, sheathed, and shielded, so no need to let OCD win this one.
Yea that’s a fair point, I still think there’s a good chance I end up ditching the adapter harnesses on the headlamps. I’ll repin it all to go into 1 connector instead of 4

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Hey @Jesse-Infotainment i purchased all wiring, connectors, terminals and a powered steering column to upgrade my manual steering column. I have verified that all wiring is run from the DSM to the connectors in the A pillar (C236 and C263 I believe). Are there any module updates that need to be made? I know there’s some forscan changes, which are easy enough, I’m not worried about that, I just want to make sure there aren’t some other changes that need to be made that require a more specialized skill set.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Do you have memory?

It all depends on if you got a memory column or not. The memory motors for the seats and column have the two additional pins in the connectors for the Hall effect circuit.

SO memory will have all four pins populated.

The changes in the DSM depend on the situation.

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Do you have memory?

It all depends on if you got a memory column or not. The memory motors for the seats and column have the two additional pins in the connectors for the Hall effect circuit.

SO memory will have all four pins populated.

The changes in the DSM depend on the situation.
Yes I have memory seats already, just not the memory column.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Then you can basically find a truck like yours with memory column ad use teh DSM as build form it.

Does yours have memory pedals?

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Then you can basically find a truck like yours with memory column ad use teh DSM as build form it.

Does yours have memory pedals?
Yes, I also have memory pedals. I already have a “donor” truck for as-builts. So it seems like it should be a pretty straight forward install

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yes, I also have memory pedals. I already have a “donor” truck for as-builts. So it seems like it should be a pretty straight forward install
Yes. It is. You can copy it all over and be set.
Sponsored