OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
As of today, my transformation to Lariat “High” is officially complete. I got the powered steering column installed today and it works beautifully. I went 8 for 8 on wire terminals today (unlike previous where I had to rework them all). The mechanical portion of the install was pretty straight forward. It was only an additional 5 bolts/nuts on top of an HSW install. It was a moderate job that took me about 5.5 hours from finishing the wiring harness (had to pin the two connectors, 4 wires in each) to completing the rest of the install, as well as forscan changes and clean up. I also cleared the DTC’s for my ride height sensors (I had to run and HCM calibration), so now I’m hoping the auto level will be noticeable.

Huge shoutout to @JHForman812 for all of his help and expertise with wiring. He has become a good friend since September/October. Big thanks to @Jesse-Infotainment as well for providing most of the knowledge required to make this a lot easier and smoother (all of the retrofits I’ve done to the truck, not just the steering column). @Jmeo and @JScaro has also provided help and insight along the way and deserve my appreciation as well

EDIT: also, if anyone decides to do this in the future, note that the harness for the airbag sensor connector is a little short, literally only need like 1 extra inch of length, but at full extension, there’s a lot of tension on those wires. I tried to free up as much slack as I could, but will likely need to splice in a little extra wire

Ford F-150 501A to 502A 79FB3F02-DA7F-4665-9481-490CA996EC62
Ford F-150 501A to 502A 8CF7EFDE-B607-498B-A9F2-F0D412CC2C27
Ford F-150 501A to 502A CD4CE4C1-60CA-46D2-A542-F8DBE4507E4B
Ford F-150 501A to 502A C9F3F2F5-5081-434E-8ABD-B7C4D859064F
Ford F-150 501A to 502A 8659DC18-D57E-4F61-8050-504BA988BAD0
Sponsored

Last edited:

JScaro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 501.5A
Occupation
Beer Drinker
@dolsen
This is awesome!

Now where's the twisted wires and Tesa 51608 Fuzzy tape?

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
@dolsen
This is awesome!

Now where's the twisted wires and Tesa 51608 Fuzzy tape?
I’m terrible at taking pics, I actually wrapped it in adhesiveless tape and then tesa tape over top of that before I plugged it all in and put everything back together. You can kinda see it here, this is a screenshot of a video I took of the motors running

Ford F-150 501A to 502A 6B279B67-36EB-4AA7-9FEF-2EBFCFB67432

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor, 2020 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Firefighter
Excellent work David, you should be proud. I definitely appreciate your determination.

I also look forward to you being my technical moral support in the near future 🍻

Sponsored

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
The big questions is... is the final boss adding Blue Cruise?!?!
When I first learned about it, I really wanted to add it, but the more complaints I hear about it, I think I am better off without it. I think the final boss for me would be CCD. But that would be an expensive and time consuming endeavor.

Also, pretty much all of my free time just evaporated starting Monday the 27th. I've been laid off for the last 6 weeks (it was more or less covered through severance though) and I start my new job on Monday. I got an absolutely massive pay increase, but I'm pretty sure this new company (or the commute rather) is going to eat up all of my personal time.

For anyone familiar, I'll be working on the construction of the new Blue Oval SK battery plant in KY. Starting Monday, we are kicking off the project with 2 weeks in Dearborn. My commute will be 150 miles round trip everyday. I'll be spending a lot less time on here.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Nice! Thats awesome, no wonder you've had so much free time to find ways to spend money on your truck lol. I think Ford is going to need about every battery they can get their hands on given the current performance of the Lightning in certain conditions.

Ya I don't blame you, I was even considering adding it just for fun pretty much, but once it was discovered that the nanny cams are watching and judging you all the time, BC or not, I was pretty much no way Jose. Lane centering plus the weight hack works way too good everywhere already for what I deserve.

BigMeatsBronco

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Ford Bronco
Occupation
Timber broker
When I first learned about it, I really wanted to add it, but the more complaints I hear about it, I think I am better off without it. I think the final boss for me would be CCD. But that would be an expensive and time consuming endeavor.

Also, pretty much all of my free time just evaporated starting Monday the 27th. I've been laid off for the last 6 weeks (it was more or less covered through severance though) and I start my new job on Monday. I got an absolutely massive pay increase, but I'm pretty sure this new company (or the commute rather) is going to eat up all of my personal time.

For anyone familiar, I'll be working on the construction of the new Blue Oval SK battery plant in KY. Starting Monday, we are kicking off the project with 2 weeks in Dearborn. My commute will be 150 miles round trip everyday. I'll be spending a lot less time on here.
Does your new setup have Lane Centering and Stop n GO active?

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Does your new setup have Lane Centering and Stop n GO active?
My truck came with co-pilot assist from the factory. So that is not something I had to add

Sponsored

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.0 Space White
Occupation
Firefighter
I figure I’ll just keep adding future mods to this thread, no point in starting a new one.

installed tremor/BAP tails today

D11E9764-0D38-4534-877A-BD36F5BE9824.jpeg
5E235B96-D78F-42C1-BC1D-A0A60DA68A98.jpeg
16B879D9-AB6E-4269-8C71-EBE973CA5D5F.jpeg
night and day! love the black

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I've decided to upgrade my truck all the way to a full on 701A!

As much fun as this was, I'm ending this build. I am very fortunate to have my new job and it allowed me to purchase the exact truck I wanted all along. I'll be trading this in for a 2022 Rapid Red PB Platinum BAP, it is being delivered to my house tomorrow afternoon. I will end up doing some mods to that new truck as well (i.e. dual exhaust, cupholder and media bin lights, and likely adding back in the APA and MCS that have been deleted). I got a 22 for the obvious reasons: less deletes and a lower sticker price. I was even able to use X-plan to purchase this. My OTD price is almost 3k under sticker and I got 0% financing for truck month

This truck is built exactly as I would have ordered one, or at a minimum has all of my "must-haves". As much as I love the twin panel moonroof, I probably could've skipped it with all of the leak issues I have heard about. This truck has been sitting on the dealers lot since I think December is what I was told by the dealer (presumably any leaks would've already been discovered). It has 22 miles on the odo, but they are driving it ~500 miles to my house, which I see as a positive. Plenty of people have reported agregious issues within the first 500 miles so hopefully, IF something does happen, it won't be with me lol. They also completed all recalls (i.e. wiper arm recall).

Ford F-150 501A to 502A 1679228509888

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I've decided to upgrade my truck all the way to a full on 701A!

As much fun as this was, I'm ending this build. I am very fortunate to have my new job and it allowed me to purchase the exact truck I wanted all along. I'll be trading this in for a 2022 Rapid Red PB Platinum BAP, it is being delivered to my house tomorrow afternoon. I will end up doing some mods to that new truck as well (i.e. dual exhaust, cupholder and media bin lights, and likely adding back in the APA and MCS that have been deleted). I got a 22 for the obvious reasons: less deletes and a lower sticker price. I was even able to use X-plan to purchase this. My OTD price is almost 3k under sticker and I got 0% financing for truck month

This truck is built exactly as I would have ordered one, or at a minimum has all of my "must-haves". As much as I love the twin panel moonroof, I probably could've skipped it with all of the leak issues I have heard about. This truck has been sitting on the dealers lot since I think December is what I was told by the dealer (presumably any leaks would've already been discovered). It has 22 miles on the odo, but they are driving it ~500 miles to my house, which I see as a positive. Plenty of people have reported agregious issues within the first 500 miles so hopefully, IF something does happen, it won't be with me lol. They also completed all recalls (i.e. wiper arm recall).

1679228509888.png
Congrats on the "new" truck and thanks for all of your contributions to the forum with your 501A to 502A conversion. I doubt you would remove the rear heated seats, but are you planning on removing any other of the 502A items before you trade it in?

OP
OP

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Congrats on the "new" truck and thanks for all of your contributions to the forum with your 501A to 502A conversion. I doubt you would remove the rear heated seats, but are you planning on removing any other of the 502A items before you trade it in?
I had considered it but decided against it. They have pics of the truck and it likely would raise a lot of questions if I start pulling parts off and it appears to be a different truck than the one I am selling the dealer. Since they're so far away, everything was done via phone. I thought about removing the tremor/BAP heads and tails, but I think of it like a house sale: anything that is permanently fixed to the house (i.e. bolted to the house, which includes wall mounted TV mounts and even paper towel holders that are fixed to a wall or cabinet) is considered part of the house and is required to be left there at time of sale. I mentioned to them that I had upgraded the truck from a Lariat mid to Lariat high using all OEM standard wiring and OEM parts, Idk if they know what that means, but as far as I am concerned, I am contractually obligated to leave all of those parts.

EDIT: on second thought, the heads an tails are coming off

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I had considered it but decided against it. They have pics of the truck and it likely would raise a lot of questions if I start pulling parts off and it appears to be a different truck than the one I am selling the dealer. Since they're so far away, everything was done via phone. I thought about removing the tremor/BAP heads and tails, but I think of it like a house sale: anything that is permanently fixed to the house (i.e. bolted to the house, which includes wall mounted TV mounts and even paper towel holders that are fixed to a wall or cabinet) is considered part of the house and is required to be left there at time of sale. I mentioned to them that I had upgraded the truck from a Lariat mid to Lariat high using all OEM standard wiring and OEM parts, Idk if they know what that means, but as far as I am concerned, I am contractually obligated to leave all of those parts.

EDIT: on second thought, the heads an tails are coming off
Dealers give no shits about that stuff. They're calling your truck a 501 for trade purposes and won't give you a penny more for $5k in mods.

Now when they go to sell it they'll try and get $5k out of the add-ons they didn't give you shit for. Suddenly your mods are worth money. It's magic.
Sponsored