5 star tune - ‘21 3.5?

flynnstone

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F150
I’ve been looking at the 5 star tune for my ‘22 F150 3.5 ecoboost. It looks like there are 2 options, either their tune with the bundled SCT X4 device for $700, or just the tune for $170, and you have to buy the SCT X4 for $300… am i missing anything?
Sponsored

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
Yes you have to buy the SCT x4 to tune it from 5 star. I am waiting on mine as we speak. I would do the bundle device plus tunes.

OP
OP

flynnstone

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F150
Yes you have to buy the SCT x4 to tune it from 5 star. I am waiting on mine as we speak. I would do the bundle device plus tunes.
Got it. Seems like a far better deal to buy the tune and device separately ($470) versus spending $700 for their bundled package

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
I see your point, I think you can buy it from SCT as well but, I have always bought my device thru them with the tunes. When I had a issue with my MY18 they helped me and so did SCT it was a win win. Just make sure you get the right device. This time I did the bundle and added a few extra tunes.

Csu87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 3.5 EB Lariat. 2021 G70 3.3
Got it. Seems like a far better deal to buy the tune and device separately ($470) versus spending $700 for their bundled package
you get several tunes iirc with the bundle

Sponsored

TMCCOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 STX
On the website, the bundle offers 10 tunes. I don't know why most people would need more than a couple, but that's what is in the price. To the OPs point, buy the SCT device and one/two tunes if that's your preference and save some inflated money.

Edit- looking for the 7015PG-B SCT tuner, it is $599 at the places I looked, therefore $700 is probably a reasonable price. I was stuck in the old days thinking tuners were still $400...

Last edited:
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Supercrew Fx4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Bird Taxidermist
Yup , it really sucks that the 21 and up use a different tuner than the prior models . My SCTx4 Is basicly new( less than an yr old) and useless now … Was hoping just to buy a tune for the 3.5 eco boost and dump my 5.0 tunes … but that would be too much like right …. I think it’s just a ploy to make more money cus it’s the same tuner less a few extra cables that they could likely make work with the older tuner cus it’s the same tuner(7015) they use for the 21 … but the mighty dollar tops caring for your customers .. …. Tunes have gone way up and it’s not really a SFJB thing I call it GREED … pisses me off but is what it is … For now I think I’ll keep mine stock and buy a peddle monster from Banks …. Wonder if we can use tuner to calibrate tires or do we need the new one for that as well … chances are you’ll have to spend more money for a new tuner … Oh well .. I guess the older I get the less I’m gona hot rod my truck around anyways ..fun while it lasted ..

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
They offer a tune on an encrypted said to be never tunable truck. I am grateful. $800 for a decent tune is on the cheap side these days.

In another world I follow, I noticed someone constantly scouring forums trying to get tune files from other people/shops. When the new modules come out these guys are no where to be found until the platform matures and tune files are leaked, by now they are on YouTube peddling BS. So eventually they pieced the tune together by taking tune files off forums and customer cars with other tunes. This is even for simple bolt on late model n/a mustang camaro with Trans. They charge just shy of $2,000

Last edited:

NiftyF150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport Leadfoot Gray 302a Ecoboost
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
Just a fair warning from my experience; the SCT X4 tuner SUCKS. It's extremely inconsistent and unreliable. If your battery isn't 100% full or on a charger the tuner will fail pretty much 100% of the time. If I had known what I know now I would not have gone with the SCT X4. I don't feel comfortable trying to change tunes anywhere outside of my garage because of how many times it's failed on me.

I'd recommend sending in your PCM to have it unlocked so you can access via the OBDII port inside the truck instead of having to put the truck on a charger in your garage every time you want to change tunes.

The 5Star tunes are GREAT however. Can't recommend them enough. The transmission tuning alone is worth the cost of admission. The extra power is just a bonus.
Sponsored