Sponsored

5/3 Build Week Club

bulger81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
That was pretty much my attitude.

I can pay $30k+ plus for what they have on the lot or $50K for what I want and wait. (and wait and wait...)

Someday... I'll be getting that $30K truck optioned as close to a Platinum as the Regular Cab Short Bed is allowed.

maybe
i forgot to order the 36 gal tank, so next time I’ll order a similar trim(xlt) but add those towing options. I prefer Tan interiors, so ford and Toyota right now are my only choices as far as truck makers. I could find a white truck gray interior on a lot, but I decided to wait for my tan interior truck.
im not a fan of tech heavy trucks, which is why I wouldn't consider a king ranch, platinum, or limited. i preferred tundra bc of the lack tech, but the tundra interior is too outdated and mpg sucks.
i want a functional truck that won’t break the bank, but has enough tech to keep me and my family safe And it looks nice.
too Many people buy trucks fully loaded and never use half the options. I see people driving trucks with big tires and lift kits for looks Or putting in crazy sound systems.
I wish the retractable side step was available on the xLts. That’s one option I see the value and functional aspect to it
Sponsored

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
Well this week those options created zero delay on producing a truck in Dearborn yet people on this forum are being told that selecting one or more of them will (or at least may) impact how soon they will receive their trucks. It is simply untrue. I have seen entire threads here about how spray in liners require an extra week because the truck is finished and then sent offsite for the liner. Not True. I have seen threads indicating that the rear fender liners take extra time a the end of the line and the truck will be parked waiting for them to be installed. Also not true. These issues were NOT about chips or parts availability. They were about extra production hangs related to production time on specific options. Another big one was the retractable bed cover, supposedly could take a week because it also required a trip outside the factory. Also untrue.

So yes, calling BS on all of this. Order the truck you want, don’t try to strategize the process by cherry-picking options based on some silly forum advice about supposed delays being caused by certain items. I ordered every possible option on a King Ranch PowerBoost model with a 6.5 bed, and my truck flew through production in three days last week, went out the door to a convoy truck and is on its way to me now, putting the lie to all the rumors and advice around here about being cautious on ordering options that might delay a custom order. It is simply not a thing. Get the truck you want, not the one that some forum wise guy says you might get faster with/without some option you should/should not avoid. They have zero idea about which they speak.
Hit the nail on the head. The sequence right now is literally "factory order lottery". You might get lucky or your truck may go straight into purgatory. There is no algorithm, there is no strategy, everyone is throwing crap at the wall and hoping it sticks right now.

There are trucks that were ordered in the fall that still haven't been delivered, and there are trucks that were ordered in March that popped right away for late april build, breezed right through the process and were shipped same day that are now delivered and burning fuel. These trucks could be identical. Once the trucks have VIN numbers and a build day, it doesn't matter what options you chose, it depends on what the disposition is at the factory at time of build. The options you choose will depend on when you get a build date if one or more of those options are a restricted commodity. There's no information on what trucks are being prioritized because none are being prioritized. I genuinely believe they are winging this on a day to day, possibly weekly basis of part supply.

The only theory I can come up having a background in logistics & commerce is that they are splitting shipments of chips with the line getting the majority of the supply, or there are two separate chains of supply of chips altogether. If they allocated most of the chips to the preexisting builds they would just be adding another truck to the lot to replace it. If they allocate most of the chips to the plant, they can get rid of those trucks right away while simultaneously albeit slowly diminishing the existing stack of trucks awaiting completion rather than just replacing a complete truck with an incomplete truck. Doing it that way minimizes this mess getting significantly worse for them.

Unfortunately right now it seems like it depends on the day whether or not your truck gets built and released right away or built & sent to purgatory for a month. Hurry up and wait game sucks ?‍♂

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Hit the nail on the head. The sequence right now is literally "factory order lottery". You might get lucky or your truck may go straight into purgatory. There is no algorithm, there is no strategy, everyone is throwing crap at the wall and hoping it sticks right now.

There are trucks that were ordered in the fall that still haven't been delivered, and there are trucks that were ordered in March that popped right away for late april build, breezed right through the process and were shipped same day that are now delivered and burning fuel. These trucks could be identical. Once the trucks have VIN numbers and a build day, it doesn't matter what options you chose, it depends on what the disposition is at the factory at time of build. The options you choose will depend on when you get a build date if one or more of those options are a restricted commodity. There's no information on what trucks are being prioritized because none are being prioritized. I genuinely believe they are winging this on a day to day, possibly weekly basis of part supply.

The only theory I can come up having a background in logistics & commerce is that they are splitting shipments of chips with the line getting the majority of the supply, or there are two separate chains of supply of chips altogether. If they allocated most of the chips to the preexisting builds they would just be adding another truck to the lot to replace it. If they allocate most of the chips to the plant, they can get rid of those trucks right away while simultaneously albeit slowly diminishing the existing stack of trucks awaiting completion rather than just replacing a complete truck with an incomplete truck. Doing it that way minimizes this mess getting significantly worse for them.

Unfortunately right now it seems like it depends on the day whether or not your truck gets built and released right away or built & sent to purgatory for a month. Hurry up and wait game sucks ?‍♂
This is the most logical explanation I've seen. I don't know anything about logistics or supply chain but from a purely manufacturing/profit/business point of view it would seem that the "best" way to allocate constrained supplies (remember, from a manufacturing/profit/business point of view) is to trucks actively on the production line. They should get supplies because those are the trucks that will be the easiest and fastest to build/sell and therefore make money. It's truly a fat middle finger to all of us who have ordered months and months ago and are waiting for trucks sitting in a parking lot. But at the end of the day, Ford is a business. They're already cutting profit/revenue because of the shortages so they're trying to maximize the money they can make right now.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
i forgot to order the 36 gal tank, so next time I’ll order a similar trim(xlt) but add those towing options. I prefer Tan interiors, so ford and Toyota right now are my only choices as far as truck makers. I could find a white truck gray interior on a lot, but I decided to wait for my tan interior truck.
im not a fan of tech heavy trucks, which is why I wouldn't consider a king ranch, platinum, or limited. i preferred tundra bc of the lack tech, but the tundra interior is too outdated and mpg sucks.
i want a functional truck that won’t break the bank, but has enough tech to keep me and my family safe And it looks nice.
too Many people buy trucks fully loaded and never use half the options. I see people driving trucks with big tires and lift kits for looks Or putting in crazy sound systems.
I wish the retractable side step was available on the xLts. That’s one option I see the value and functional aspect to it
I hear ya.

I've never ordered a vehicle before. I've always bought what they had laying around. I'm looking at this as my last truck purchase so I got every option available except Block heater, Power rear window tailgate.

Even with that I didn't break $50k since it's a "little" truck. I'm blown away by some of the price tags I see here!

You're right, I likely won't use a lot of that stuff. At least now. I do wish I had ordered a different color interior but I don't want to rock the boat at this point.

Sponsored

bulger81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
I hear ya.

I've never ordered a vehicle before. I've always bought what they had laying around. I'm looking at this as my last truck purchase so I got every option available except Block heater, Power rear window tailgate.

Even with that I didn't break $50k since it's a "little" truck. I'm blown away by some of the price tags I see here!

You're right, I likely won't use a lot of that stuff. At least now. I do wish I had ordered a different color interior but I don't want to rock the boat at this point.
I got 302a fx4 class 4 trailer hitch work surface on my xlt which brought it to about 55k but got for 49k plus I’m gettting 3k for my car so Im happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

john.noonan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150, VW GTI
Occupation
IT Project Manager
I can check a few VINs if needed, I have the same site Pioneer uses.
I hate to bug you, but if you can, could you check VIN 1FTFW1ED9MFB69270 Order 3657 ? If not, that is completely cool.

MDH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I can check a few VINs if needed, I have the same site Pioneer uses.
I would be most grateful if you can get the status of my F-150 Lariat. It has been sitting on Dearborn ramp 59 since 3/29/2021.
Vin # 1FTFW1ED6MFB39398

Thanks in advance for your help.

MDH

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
Ford.com shows my Platty will be delivered 5/19-5/25. It was built 5/7 and the tracker here shows in transit. We will see.

huhner5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Farmer
Mine was built 5/06.. shipped 5/08... Currently in transit with an ETA of 5/24.. but I expect in next week some time... Coming on rail from Dearborn to Southern Minnesota....
502a 3.5, power boards, sport, 20s, unleashed, wheel liners, max tow, twin panel roof

Ordered 12/17/20

Sponsored

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
Salesman told me their tracker shows my truck shipping week of 5/20, Ford.com shows between 5/19-5/24. I hope it's true, it was ordered 3/9 and built 5/7. Hard to believe with all the people with orders before mine.

huhner5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Farmer
Mine is also giving me a "ETA range".... Between 5/18--5/24

JayceeP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Pant build would be helpful. I was originally scheduled April 22 at Kansas City but on April 15 I was bumped to May 7 and Sent to Plant (window sticker also says May 7 blend date). I am in production so I am hoping I am built within days of KC reopening. Tracker currently says June 16 ETA but that was before the full May month shut down.

Fathardtail

First Name
Melinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I’ve moved to ‘Built’ and waiting on shipment, estimated to get to Idaho 6/13/21. 295/55/R20 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T tires are waiting at the dealer with the Roush lift. Starting to feel real!

Ford F-150 5/3 Build Week Club FBECB836-63C6-4AB9-8420-AD27EB089B17

Ford F-150 5/3 Build Week Club 4A42B85D-3278-46CE-BF16-23EC01286F71

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I’ve moved to ‘Built’ and waiting on shipment, estimated to get to Idaho 6/13/21. 295/55/R20 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T tires are waiting at the dealer with the Roush lift. Starting to feel real!

FBECB836-63C6-4AB9-8420-AD27EB089B17.jpeg

4A42B85D-3278-46CE-BF16-23EC01286F71.jpeg
Did you get any weird options? It's crazy how some people breeze through the build process and others are left stranded waiting for parts
Sponsored