5/17 Build Week Club

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
There's a pretty clear pattern at Dearborn at this point, at least as far as the purgatory builds go. Build weeks 3/15 through 4/26 (and maybe some in 5/3) had their trucks produced with missing modules and carted off the storage lots. As far as I'm aware, none of these ever made it to the "Built" status and are still "In Production" according to the tracker, whether they have a current ETA, past ETA, or no ETA.

From the 5/3 build week on, the majority of trucks seem to get to the "Built" step as normal and proceed to be shipped as normal. I can only assume that chips are being allocated to trucks coming off the line, rather than sorting out the mess in the storage lots.

All this to say, if you get to the "Built" step, you're probably fine. I further suspect that most of the orders from this build week will move through the process smoothly, at least when compared to the purgatory weeks.
It would be nice if the shutdowns are to take what they have for chips and get them in the already built trucks, versus putting them in stuff coming off a line. Probably a pipe dream, but it would make a little sense at least. We'll only find out if/when trucks stuck in the lots have any movement during these of weeks for the plants.
Sponsored

Last edited:

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Maybe they ran out of lots to put them in :LOL:
They’ll run out of money to rent the lots as well. Did you see the article saying the speedway in Kentucky is collecting about $1M per mon the for all the storage space? Impressive.

Safetyrep

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Well I’ve been in production for 7 days today. Must be the spray liner.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I think that must be what added a bit of time for me. I had a production date of 5/20 but didn't get the check mark or move on to "Built" until late in the day on 5/24, I suspect that time was it getting the liner done offsite.

Sponsored

petervenkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat Powerboost
I think that must be what added a bit of time for me. I had a production date of 5/20 but didn't get the check mark or move on to "Built" until late in the day on 5/24, I suspect that time was it getting the liner done offsite.
mine says in production on 5/21. no update since. no spray in liner. :(

Bobsputin

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Someone posted an comment about ford shipping the trucks to dealers to store on their lots. I think this is actually a good idea. Usually Ford charges money for how long a vehicle sits on the lot. This would be waived for trucks without chips/in need of parts.
  • Makes it look like the dealer has inventory.
  • Dealer gets to decide which truck to put chips in. If Customer wants A or B, dealer can install as needed.
  • It saves stores fees for Ford.
  • Bigger workforce to help maintain and install chips instead of 3rd party workers.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
Someone posted an comment about ford shipping the trucks to dealers to store on their lots. I think this is actually a good idea. Usually Ford charges money for how long a vehicle sits on the lot. This would be waived for trucks without chips/in need of parts.
  • Dealer gets to decide which truck to put chips in. If Customer wants A or B, dealer can install as needed.
  • Bigger workforce to help maintain and install chips instead of 3rd party workers.
This makes sense ….. so it won’t happen

OCDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150, focus, corolla
Occupation
Software Engineer
While I would love to see any movement at all on my truck, wouldn't this just complicate an already poorly handled process? Ford currently needs to make the decision to allocate chips to a handful of storage lots near the plants, which they haven't done yet (for whatever reason... too expensive, too complicated, etc). Shipping trucks with missing chips to dealerships, just shifts that necessary chip allocation to several hundred (thousand?) lots across the country and adds more logistical complexity. I can't imagine them being any more willing/able to solve that problem than the current one. But who knows? I've been wrong about a lot of things in the 6 months since I ordered...

Sponsored

pierowman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer Titanium 2016, F150 Platinum 2021
5/19 blend delivered tonight. Delivered to dealer 5/21. Will post better pics and review once I get my cover and things installed. Swapped out the pirellis for Goodyear’s.

B0C771E9-407A-409C-B0D1-C9F6A4547310.jpeg

3C6DA9DF-CF5C-4283-A850-79784672F174.jpeg

3D6BE39F-DEEC-4FE6-A270-4452E90EF7EA.jpeg
Looking good, were you trying to find the right lighting on your truck? :)

GoPokes38

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
How do you track what status your truck is in? I bought a “dealer ordered” and have a window sticker but dealer won’t tell me status of the truck. Is there somewhere I can track it myself?

Blinky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
I don't think Ford charges dealers for cars that are unsold. Rather I think the dealers have to pay rent to whoever owns the land to leave a car parked / opportunity cost to have the cars parked where they own the land but could have other cars out to sell. Ford gives them money for this on any sale - it's called Floor Plan Assistance. But since inventory is low then maybe.
But some of those trucks probably aren't safe to drive or don't look appealing (some are without tailgates).
In the end it's definitely cheaper just not to build the trucks until they have all the parts. But Ford was probably being hopeful that they would get the parts for the trucks they partially built AND the trucks they can build in the assembly line whilst retrofitting those partial trucks. But in the end they are closing the assembly lines. So they might as well just not have partially built those trucks. It ended up costing them a lot more.