5.0L vs Ecoboost

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
I had the V8 in my 2010 F150 and the 3.5 Ecoboost in my 2018. Both performed very well for me. Not much towing. Put 150,000 mi on the V8 and at 55,000 mil on the 2018. About 4 mpg better overall with the Ecoboost, and I don't have any sense of missing the "power." 2018 feels quicker and I am not someone who feels the need for hearing the real rumble of the V8. I've been towing a travel trailer for the last year, and the Ecoboost has performed great. I went with the Powerboost in my 2021 order (still waiting) based on the numbers and towing, although the reduced payload/tongue weight is a bit of a concern that I realized from this board after my order last fall.
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I think that issue is not the base V-6 used in the truck but an engine used in passenger cars.
Looks like only the transverse sixes have the internal waterpump. I had a hard time finding a NA engine to look at, one of the salesman at the dealer didn’t even know what displacement it was.

Had I known when I ordered that the V8 was definitely going to be equipped with cylinder deactivation/variable displacement, I would have gone with the 2.7 Ecoboost. It’s really got more than enough power, in fact, had they been offering a base inline six iron block pushrod engine, with hardly any HP but lots of torque, I might have gone with that.

3Ranger11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ranger
Occupation
Interstate commerce transport engineer
I think that issue is not the base V-6 used in the truck but an engine used in passenger cars.
There are two versions of the 3.5L. The tranverse mounted engines have the water pump internally and the longitudinal applications have an external pump.

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
As a tuner, Ford has the Ecoboost so detuned to make it get better mileage and the ability to use 87 octane it’s not even funny. The 3.5 is capable of so much more power safely and reliably it is unreal and it just widens the gap between the 5.0 to a ridiculous level. There is nothing you can do about the sound but the potential power of the eco is far above any other NA V8 in the truck segment.

Sponsored

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 501A SCREW 4x4 tuned 3.5
Hey everyone, enjoying all the information here.
I am seeing a lot of ecoboost engines being build here just curious what your thoughts were on them over the 5.0L. Is it strictly MPG, or more trucks on dealers lots seems to have those engines already? Just curious for some response on the many different engines we get to choose from!
thanks.
Sound vs Power

Pick one.

If you don't mind spending a few hundred on a tune (and warranty implications, or buying tuner's warranty), it becomes sound vs tremendous power, as the tunes add 80-100 hp and tq to the 18-20 3.5's and soon should be able to on the 21's too

Just a tune, and even with 34" 10 ply all terrain heavy tires, my SCREW Lariat 3.5 has a dragy verified 0-60 of 5.05 seconds, slightly uphill

No reason to think the 21+ won't be able to do the exact same thing as tuners crack encryption (they promised they would be able to, but...I guess we'll see)

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
5.0 is proven and less parts moving under the hood and plenty of power and that sweet V8 tone. My decision was pretty easy.
I'm quite sure the 5.0 has more moving parts than the 3.5 eco. Those overhead cams and two extra cylinders = more parts.

But maybe you are afraid of turbos, after all, those turbocharged diesel engines are known for constantly failing...lol

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A better argument might be that the "21" 5.0 has been redesigned from the "20" to handle Cylinder Deactivation and A.S.S.

It's a different engine.

And then there's that scary "Timing Belt"!:oops:

I'll take the "growl" of the Coyote over the "whine" of the turbos any day!

...some people prefer whining.
:rolleyes:
Right.

Sound vs Power

Pick one

BTW: Turbos whistle. Superchargers whine. ;)

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"

"whistle" ...lol
Yeah, cuz that's "better"!:ROFLMAO:

But I get your point though and it IS valid.

I just don't even need the power I'll be getting from the 5.0 as it is so yes.... "sound"!
You must loathe diesel engines eh lol

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Just watched it, he did a good job getting it done with the radiator still in there. I would have put a piece of cardboard against it, so as not to mess up the fins. I also would have taped off the throttle body, you know some of those metal shavings that the air tool kicked out into a cloud of silver dust got in there. Having the fan clutch wrench, I would be peeved seeing someone taking it off with an air chisel unless it was the side of the road.
I cringe when I think of my 10 speed transmission being stripped apart and laid out on the dirty nasty table to collect shop partials all week while they look for 1 tiny part to warranty out, and then out it all back together again, and seal all that grime back up inside my transmission components.

When mass produced engines or transmissions are built, they are built in a clean environment, why don’t these jerks act like that crap shouldn’t be inside there.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
When mass produced engines or transmissions are built, they are built in a clean environment, why don’t these jerks act like that crap shouldn’t be inside there.

Back in the day, when engines had poured babbitt bearings and relatively huge tolerances, you could rebuild the entire vehicle at the local gas station and it wasn't unusual at all and often, a good shop could rebuild an engine better than factory. Same thing for the old Powerglide and Torqueflite based transmissions that were in pretty much everything and the local transmission shops could get away with it. Not anymore and the price is way too steep to trust their shitty warranties. Many modern engines and transmissions are approaching Swiss watch territory. You totally need a clean room to build them in. I've been in transmission shops and most of them are dirtier than a roadside blacksmith shop in Indonesia.

Even then, the flat rate mechanics treat what are basically race tuned engines like they were 150hp pushrod V8s from the 80's, which you could get away with running some swarf through the intake and out the exhaust without trashing the motor, turbo or catalytic converters. Taping over the intake takes about five minutes but the flat rate mechanics are only interested in taking shortcuts.

Luckily, Ford does offer remanufactured transmissions, I don't know if they farm them out, or if it's the same people who build the new ones.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/transmission/reman-transmissions

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I'd be curious to see which truck wins a drag race since they now both have 400hp. I would expect the EB to be a little quicker, at least up to 1/4 mile due to the extra torque, but it would have to be close. The 5.0 may also start closing the gap after 1/4

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
The EB/PB would win due to the lower TQ range and having the same 10 speed. It’s just math at that point, because both trucks are similar in overall mass.

MillstoneF150

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CCSB Space White STX
The 5.0 with 3.73 rear is where the 5.0 has a chance to shine. I have seen my tach touch 7k. It's a thrill when the 5.0 has a chance to rev. I have driven ecoboosts and they have down-low power for sure.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
The 5.0 with 3.73 rear is where the 5.0 has a chance to shine. I have seen my tach touch 7k. It's a thrill when the 5.0 has a chance to rev. I have driven ecoboosts and they have down-low power for sure.
A high revving V8 is always fun. I have the Powerboost in my truck (also a ton of fun), but I've had the 5.0 in two Mustangs (2012+15) and really enjoyed it.
Sponsored