5.0L V8 Cylinder Deactivation

3Ranger11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ranger
Occupation
Interstate commerce transport engineer
Well guys, it’s official. The 5.0 has cylinder deactivation for 21. It’s on their website now that they finally got their shit together online. I guess all we can hope for is that there is a way to disable it.
Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Well, this is some very sad news especially If it can’t be disabled by an owner via a switch on the dash or in the settings menu.

Potential owners, I’d definitely avoid this engine in the first two years because there will be bugs / growing pains and I don’t even want to think about the repair cost.

Get a Ford ESP.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Well guys, it’s official. The 5.0 has cylinder deactivation for 21. It’s on their website now that they finally got their shit together online. I guess all we can hope for is that there is a way to disable it.
Oh bummer!
Now not only do I have to wait until (most likely) until the new year to see my truck, now I have to be concerned with this as well.

6 cylinder truck is not on the table for me.
Extended warrantee time.
I may not have a note on this thing, but Ford is gonna own it till 100k
The upside is, I’m not tired of my 98 K1500 (I love this thing despite the quirks)
The new one might become just a backup—-hope not
My current backup (05 Ranger), only about 5k miles in 4 yrs.

hunter406

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 3500, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Insurance Analyst
Well, this is some very sad news especially If it can’t be disabled by an owner via a switch on the dash or in the settings menu.

Potential owners, I’d definitely avoid this engine in the first two years because there will be bugs / growing pains and I don’t even want to think about the repair cost.

Get a Ford ESP.
I have a 5.0 on order. Ford has already processed the order so that ship has sailed and I don’t plan to change or cancel the order yet.
It would be great to hear from anyone else buying the 5.0 as to why they are not concerned with the engine.
I think all of us with plans to purchase the 5.0 would be very grateful to hear both sides of the discussion.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I have a 5.0 on order. Ford has already processed the order so that ship has sailed and I don’t plan to change or cancel the order yet.
It would be great to hear from anyone else buying the 5.0 as to why they are not concerned with the engine.
I think all of us with plans to purchase the 5.0 would be very grateful to hear both sides of the discussion.
I’ll probably pick up an extended warranty if I notice any issues after 20k.

otherwise, I am not concerned with it at this time. Excited to get the 5.0

if anything I’ll be pissed if it barely helps mpg. I better get crazy good mpg on the freeway lol.. if it’s only like 1mpg better then I’ll be very annoyed.

Sponsored

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I’ll probably pick up an extended warranty if I notice any issues after 20k.

otherwise, I am not concerned with it at this time. Excited to get the 5.0

if anything I’ll be pissed if it barely helps mpg. I better get crazy good mpg on the freeway lol.. if it’s only like 1mpg better then I’ll be very annoyed.
I'm with you.
I'm not changing my order.
I'm not concerned/worried.
I'm giving Ford the benefit of doubt and confident they wouldn't release this added feature to the V8 without having tested the crap out of it, just as they have tested the crap out of the new hybrids (which seem to be of much less concern to those that have ordered or considered ordering a hybrid).

As with any new tech and generation of a vehicle there are risks at being an early adaptor.
If one can't accept that risk, then buy a 2020, or ride a bike.

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
I'm not concerned too. I want to change my 2015 3.5 eco for the V8. I miss the V8 sound. And i want to keep the next one for over 10 years. My friend got a chevy 5.3 2016 with deactivation and have no issue at all. It's like all those guys who said that the ecoboost will not to be reliable. It depnds on a lot of things.

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
I’m going Whipple. So, there’s no debate or hesitation here. Zero doubt in my mind it can be deactivated when it’s ready and they unlock the PCM/ECU. I’ve had turbo vehicles and boost leaks are a pain to find. V8, or whipple charged, it’s still super simple to work on or find the issue.

Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Don’t expect MPG to increase much if at all.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I know a lot of you all are bummed about the 2021 F-150 V8 using cylinder deactivation. The system Chevrolet uses on the Silverado is quoted as having up to a “twelve percent increase” in fuel economy. Depending on many variables, that could get you another two miles per gallon on top on the Ford V8’s approximate 17.

While researching this, I came across this device:

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/parts/RA003B

Apparently it plugs into the trucks OBD II port and works around the cylinder deactivation technology to keep it in V8 mode at all times.

This device is similar to ones I’ve seen that work around that annoying auto start-stop feature. I will probably buy one myself to disable the start-stop of it’s annoying enough.

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
My buddy who has a 5.3 usully do 21 usmpg on highway.
Sponsored