First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
Ti-VCT. Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) is the name given by Ford to engines with the ability to advance or retard the timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts independently, unlike the original versions of VCT, which only operated on a single camshaft.
The 5.0L Coyote V8 is the one and only V8 engine available in the 2021 Ford F-150, which is somewhat of a sobering reality. But fans of eight-cylinder engines needn’t fret, because Ford is obviously committed to keeping it around despite every-tightening emissions and economy standards. And according to F-150 engineering manager Dawn Piechocki, this new cylinder deactivation tech is a big part of that effort.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
They annouced it when they unveiled the truck. Take a look at TFLtruck website.

I don’t think they did. But if I get time I’ll go rewatch it.

Seems extremely odd if they did why would they disregard that on ALL marketing on their official site? Same with build and price. No mention... tech specs that came out.. no mention..

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
I hope Ford doesn't go to the cylinder cancellation technique. GM is chewing up camshafts because of lifter failures. The owners don't know this till they have to foot the 5k bill for repairs.

acefishing

First Name
richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150/old datson 510/dodge ram
Occupation
fisherman
I heard that too. Ford is going into this technology. I was on the way to choose a V8 but with this new tech i'm gonna go with the 3.5 or 3 5 powerboost if this one is affordable in Canadian dollars.
have you actualy been able to read a canadian version of the 2021 build packages
in vancouver they only had them at the dealer i and they are a little different than US

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I just backed out of the 5.0 and switched to the 3.5 Eco for my order.

Too many issues with the 2018-2020 5.0's with oil consumption that seem to have not been fully remedied, and now they adding another technology that has hampered other manufacturers V8 reliability.

Not suggesting you do the same, but seriously look into both Ford's issues, as well as other engine deactivation issues and decide what is best for you.
Been watching some videos on this and noticed all the trucks were using 5-20 oil.
I'm wondering if the Mustang is having the same issues.
At any rate, it appears that the super thin oil is getting sucked into the plenum via PCV.
5-40 is recommended for supercharged versions, so I'm guessing this is a suitable alternative for the pickups.
Also noticed that on the 2021 trucks, recommended oil has changed to 5-30 instead of 5-20.

(Still seems thin to me living in So.Tex where I don't need to have a thin oil, even in the winter.)

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I don’t believe it’s true and I hope it’s not.

The reason that I don’t believe it is because with the 2021 F150 less than two months away, Ford has not mentioned nor have they been talking about this feature since the debut months back.

GoldenGuinea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Ruby Red Lariat Screw
Someone posted in another thread that a Ford Rep at one of the test drive events told him that the 5.0s dont have cylinder deactivation.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Someone posted in another thread that a Ford Rep at one of the test drive events told him that the 5.0s dont have cylinder deactivation.

Sorry guys, I did not see this thread. Golden is correct. I was advised that Ford will not offer cylinder deactivation on the V8.

Sponsored

Blackout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
So this video released today by TFL Trucks has the chief engineer from Ford saying they are using cylinder deactivation on the 5.0..I don't know what to make of the lack of consistency between the Ford Reps and the Engineers, but I'd have to think the engineers are the more reliable of the two . Skip to 20:00 in the video below.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
So this video released today by TFL Trucks has the chief engineer from Ford saying they are using cylinder deactivation on the 5.0..I don't know what to make of the lack of consistency between the Ford Reps and the Engineers, but I'd have to think the engineers are the more reliable of the two . Skip to 20:00 in the video below.

Well damn. I wonder how old this video is? If it’s old I wonder if that was original plan and they scrapped it?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Well damn. I wonder how old this video is? If it’s old I wonder if that was original plan and they scrapped it?

If the YouTube post date is accurate (10/14/2020) for the date is was filmed around, I would probably defer to the video. The video talks with the “Chief Engineer” for the Gen. 14 F-150. I would say he would know more than the Ford representatives at the event. All of the reps. we’re great, but as many of us expected did not have all the answers. A couple of them even told me I was teaching them things about the truck!

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
If the YouTube post date is accurate (10/14/2020) for the date is was filmed around, I would probably defer to the video. The video talks with the “Chief Engineer” for the Gen. 14 F-150. I would say he would know more than the Ford representatives at the event. All of the reps. we’re great, but as many of us expected did not have all the answers. A couple of them even told me I was teaching them things about the truck!
This video is old quite
This video remains for easily 2-3 months. I have listened to it when it appears online.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Also worth noting the folks at the test drive event only has limited information. He stated the 5.0 definitely does not drop cylinders when driving on the freeway. But admitted he never tried it in “Eco” mode.

Also he said the trucks they’re using were pre production (obviously) and will be crushed/destroyed once finished mid November. So very possible it does not have all the bells and whistles.
Sponsored