Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I just backed out of the 5.0 and switched to the 3.5 Eco for my order.

Too many issues with the 2018-2020 5.0's with oil consumption that seem to have not been fully remedied, and now they adding another technology that has hampered other manufacturers V8 reliability.

Not suggesting you do the same, but seriously look into both Ford's issues, as well as other engine deactivation issues and decide what is best for you.
Been watching some videos on this and noticed all the trucks were using 5-20 oil.
I'm wondering if the Mustang is having the same issues.
At any rate, it appears that the super thin oil is getting sucked into the plenum via PCV.
5-40 is recommended for supercharged versions, so I'm guessing this is a suitable alternative for the pickups.
Also noticed that on the 2021 trucks, recommended oil has changed to 5-30 instead of 5-20.

(Still seems thin to me living in So.Tex where I don't need to have a thin oil, even in the winter.)

GABAR

First Name
P
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I don’t believe it’s true and I hope it’s not.

The reason that I don’t believe it is because with the 2021 F150 less than two months away, Ford has not mentioned nor have they been talking about this feature since the debut months back.

GoldenGuinea

Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Ruby Red Lariat Screw
Someone posted in another thread that a Ford Rep at one of the test drive events told him that the 5.0s dont have cylinder deactivation.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege
Someone posted in another thread that a Ford Rep at one of the test drive events told him that the 5.0s dont have cylinder deactivation.

Sorry guys, I did not see this thread. Golden is correct. I was advised that Ford will not offer cylinder deactivation on the V8.

Blackout

Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
So this video released today by TFL Trucks has the chief engineer from Ford saying they are using cylinder deactivation on the 5.0..I don't know what to make of the lack of consistency between the Ford Reps and the Engineers, but I'd have to think the engineers are the more reliable of the two . Skip to 20:00 in the video below.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
So this video released today by TFL Trucks has the chief engineer from Ford saying they are using cylinder deactivation on the 5.0..I don't know what to make of the lack of consistency between the Ford Reps and the Engineers, but I'd have to think the engineers are the more reliable of the two . Skip to 20:00 in the video below.

Well damn. I wonder how old this video is? If it’s old I wonder if that was original plan and they scrapped it?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege
Well damn. I wonder how old this video is? If it’s old I wonder if that was original plan and they scrapped it?

If the YouTube post date is accurate (10/14/2020) for the date is was filmed around, I would probably defer to the video. The video talks with the “Chief Engineer” for the Gen. 14 F-150. I would say he would know more than the Ford representatives at the event. All of the reps. we’re great, but as many of us expected did not have all the answers. A couple of them even told me I was teaching them things about the truck!

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
If the YouTube post date is accurate (10/14/2020) for the date is was filmed around, I would probably defer to the video. The video talks with the “Chief Engineer” for the Gen. 14 F-150. I would say he would know more than the Ford representatives at the event. All of the reps. we’re great, but as many of us expected did not have all the answers. A couple of them even told me I was teaching them things about the truck!
This video is old quite
This video remains for easily 2-3 months. I have listened to it when it appears online.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Also worth noting the folks at the test drive event only has limited information. He stated the 5.0 definitely does not drop cylinders when driving on the freeway. But admitted he never tried it in “Eco” mode.

Also he said the trucks they’re using were pre production (obviously) and will be crushed/destroyed once finished mid November. So very possible it does not have all the bells and whistles.

superz

First Name
Zale
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150, reg. cab on order; 2016 Ram Longhorn Ecodiesel; 2017 Toyota Landcruiser; 2007 Camry; 2012 Lexus ISF; 1966 Corvette Sting Ray
Occupation
Realtor
I am keeping my V8. I ordered a 2021 F 150 XLT FX4 Regular Cab, fully loaded, 6.5 ft. bed,
3.73 Axle, Velocity Blue, Carbonized Gray trim on bottom. They have start/stop darn feature, but there is a button on the dash to turn it off. Most likely have to turn it off every time it is started.
I like the 122 inch wheelbase, easy to park and get around the big City in. :) Rare 2021 vehicle. Ford only now makes the regular cab and 6.5 ft bed. Regards, Zale San Antonio

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
I am keeping my V8. I ordered a 2021 F 150 XLT FX4 Regular Cab, fully loaded, 6.5 ft. bed,
3.73 Axle, Velocity Blue, Carbonized Gray trim on bottom. They have start/stop darn feature, but there is a button on the dash to turn it off. Most likely have to turn it off every time it is started.
I like the 122 inch wheelbase, easy to park and get around the big City in. :) Rare 2021 vehicle. Ford only now makes the regular cab and 6.5 ft bed. Regards, Zale San Antonio
Can you tell us if it has deactivation cylinders?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 King Ranch F150; 2020 Lexus RX350; 2016 Dodge Challanger Hellcat
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I bought one of these for my 2018. It holds the last selection of the start stop button. That way you never have to turn it back on. If you want it, you can turn it on at any time.

Worked beautifully and was very easy to install. Throws no codes or warning lights. When I took it off the truck it went right back to working the way it did new.

I took it off my 18 when I sold it, hoping it will work on the 21. If not I will get the newer version form them when it comes out.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2015-ford-f-150-autostop-eliminator

Reeltime

Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Maxima
I bought one of these for my 2018. It holds the last selection of the start stop button. That way you never have to turn it back on. If you want it, you can turn it on at any time.

Worked beautifully and was very easy to install. Throws no codes or warning lights. When I took it off the truck it went right back to working the way it did new.

I took it off my 18 when I sold it, hoping it will work on the 21. If not I will get the newer version form them when it comes out.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2015-ford-f-150-autostop-eliminator
currybob,
Which version did you buy?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 King Ranch F150; 2020 Lexus RX350; 2016 Dodge Challanger Hellcat
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
dammit---another thing to possibly fail.
Sure some of you guys may be trading every 3-4 years, but I tend to keep mine for 20+
Dropping cylinders is kind of annoying to me. Every vehicle I have been in that had it, I can feel it happen, driver or passenger.
Extended warrantee may be warranted just to deal with this aspect of the car.

yeet1331

First Name
tyler
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Ford Explorer Limited, 4.6L V8 4x2
I hope Ford ain’t as dumb as GM. One opts for the v8 so it runs on 8 cylinders, not four. If you care about fuel economy get an EcoBoost, they outsell the 5.0 six to one anyway

3Ranger11

Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ranger
Occupation
Interstate commerce transport engineer
I just saw a new video online of some guy talking about the cylinder deactivation. I truly hope it’s all a rumor because I really don’t want to have to buy a super duty to get a v8 without it.

Advertisement

Advertisement