First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 5.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Trying to decide what exhaust to go with for my 5.0L and was hoping you all could help me decide. I know not all manufacturers are available yet but am willing to wait.

What I am looking for is something with NO DRONE, I drive 1000miles each way to visit family and drone would make the trip worse. I want it loud enough so that under moderate normal traffic acceleration I can hear it but not loud enough for my neighbors to complain.

Thoughts? I know most feedback will be on previous generation stuff since only magnaflow and mbrp seem to have released anything so far. Also what exit location would be best? The only one I do not like is when it exits on both sides. I emailed corsa and apparently they haven’t started r&d yet smh.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jkash99

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 5.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I’m digging the stock muffler. Loud when I want it silent when I want it.
It sounds good when you step on it but I want to know I have a V8 anytime I’m accelerating

StangTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4, 5.0L
I'm waiting for the Borla Touring cat back to be released. Slight bump up from stock, looks good (IMO) with the dual side exit pipes. Heard it sounds even better once it breaks in for a few thousand miles. You can find some videos on YouTube. Good luck!

OP
OP

jkash99

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 5.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I'm waiting for the Borla Touring cat back to be released. Slight bump up from stock, looks good (IMO) with the dual side exit pipes. Heard it sounds even better once it breaks in for a few thousand miles. You can find some videos on YouTube. Good luck!
I was looking at the touring and S-type. The sound really good. I’m hoping they drop soon cause im itching for an exhaust. They are at the top of my list with the corsa systems

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
It sounds good when you step on it but I want to know I have a V8 anytime I’m accelerating
I drove a 454 79 Chev for ten years with no mufflers —. Just a pair of universal cats.
Piped all the way out the back.
Not too bad on the hiway, but it had to be feathered in traffic.
( bought that truck new and it is still parked next to my house)

I’m much older now and I don’t want to hear much of anything at Cruise.
My Lil Ranchero has exhaust exiting behind the wheels—little bit raspy most of the time.
66 ElCamino, all the way out the back. That car makes no noise other than power steering whine at idle.

The new truck, my old truck (also very quiet), and the Ranchero all let you know there is a stout v8 in there once you stomp on it.
The 66 Elky—no noise at all, just tries to go faster (old timey never rebuilt stock 307).

Pinero

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport 5.0 SCREW FX4
Occupation
High Voltage Technician
Wait for the corsa or have a 2020 kit modified (only requires the flange to be replaced). After going through half the cheap brands on my old car, I’ll never touch anything besides the corsa. Zero drone and great sound.
Stock exit location is also the best for drone/NVH

OP
OP

jkash99

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 5.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Wait for the corsa or have a 2020 kit modified (only requires the flange to be replaced). After going through half the cheap brands on my old car, I’ll never touch anything besides the corsa. Zero drone and great sound.
Stock exit location is also the best for drone/NVH
Thanks. I do plan on waiting a bit, don’t want to rush and get something I don’t like. Corsa is on the top of my list followed by Borla and AWE. Hopefully they release soon, I’d rather have something plug and play. Corsa did say they haven’t started yet though which stinks

NH_Leadfoot

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
I just ordered a bunch of components and will be fabricating a cat-back once everything arrives. The plan is a pre-axle side exit between the running board and the small fender flap.

OP
OP

jkash99

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 5.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I just ordered a bunch of components and will be fabricating a cat-back once everything arrives. The plan is a pre-axle side exit between the running board and the small fender flap.
Nice man! Do you have the part number for the flange that I would need to swap if I wanted to throw on a 2020 corsa system?

Sponsored

NH_Leadfoot

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
Nice man! Do you have the part number for the flange that I would need to swap if I wanted to throw on a 2020 corsa system?
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I ordered the correct flange that will fit. It's a 3" female flared ball flange from Kooks Headers, p/n 7106S.

mblatz

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ranger
This thread is timely - I ordered the Magnaflow Direct Fit kit last week and can share my experience with it. First off, it sounds great - deep tone, no raspiness at all. I was digging it until I took it on the freeway - it is shockingly loud at cruise. I want an exhaust that is quiet in cruise and the magna flow is NOT IT. So loud it's tiring after like a minute of driving, I cannot imagine doing a road trip with it.

The muffler in their direct fit kit is ridiculously small - it's one of the tiny round ones, looks like a motorcycle exhaust. I had a local muffler shop swap it out for the big oval one instead (since I liked the sound). It quieted it a bit in city driving, but it was just as loud on the freeway. So, I'm back on the stock muffler now. Waste of money but hey at least I know now.

I may do a full system later but not before I hear it on someone else's truck! Online videos just don't give you a realistic view of what it will sound like in real life.

NH_Leadfoot

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
This thread is timely - I ordered the Magnaflow Direct Fit kit last week and can share my experience with it. First off, it sounds great - deep tone, no raspiness at all. I was digging it until I took it on the freeway - it is shockingly loud at cruise. I want an exhaust that is quiet in cruise and the magna flow is NOT IT. So loud it's tiring after like a minute of driving, I cannot imagine doing a road trip with it.

The muffler in their direct fit kit is ridiculously small - it's one of the tiny round ones, looks like a motorcycle exhaust. I had a local muffler shop swap it out for the big oval one instead (since I liked the sound). It quieted it a bit in city driving, but it was just as loud on the freeway. So, I'm back on the stock muffler now. Waste of money but hey at least I know now.

I may do a full system later but not before I hear it on someone else's truck! Online videos just don't give you a realistic view of what it will sound like in real life.
Once I get all the stuff I ordered and get a day or two to weld it all together I'll try and get a video uploaded. I'm using 3" SS pipe throughout, Magnaflow 12298 (3" single inlet, dual 3" outlet, 18" body length), 12" Vibrant resonator (3" inlet/outlet), and I'll have two 3" pipes exiting before the rear wheel.

OP
OP

jkash99

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 5.0L
Occupation
Engineer

Thanks for the feedback on the magnaflow. Sounds like its definitely not for me, that would make my 1000 mile (each way) road trips even worse. From what I heard online, the Corsa sport exhaust on the previous gen truck had zero drone. here’s the video.

OP
OP

jkash99

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 5.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Once I get all the stuff I ordered and get a day or two to weld it all together I'll try and get a video uploaded. I'm using 3" SS pipe throughout, Magnaflow 12298 (3" single inlet, dual 3" outlet, 18" body length), 12" Vibrant resonator (3" inlet/outlet), and I'll have two 3" pipes exiting before the rear wheel.
Let us know how the fitment is. If that flange you mentioned works, I may go head and order the corsa system for the previous gen and the flange and then get a local shop to modify it for me
Sponsored