First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
thanks for sharing all the info on this! What made you choose a roof rack over a bed rack? Researching all these options, I’m interested to hear what others have found from experience. I’ll have a 14’ SUP as well as 2-4 mtn bikes (if I’m not towing, I have a rack I can use for the bikes, but if I ever trailer someday, need to consider how I’d carry it all!). I don’t believe any system I’ve found yet would allow 4 mtn bikes + SUP + trailer (unless a couple bikes were IN the trailer, which I’m surprised more people don’t do??)

Thanks again!
Depends on trailer and layout! We had a bunkhouse where bottom bunk half-flipped up for bike storage and you could fit 2 bikes in there if you 69 them, and put some padding to avoid wiggling or rubbing. Also have laid 1 bike on the queen bed with a blanket under it (to avoid getting dirt/grease on the bed cover). We've put 2 non-inflatable SUPs inside the trailer, but hardest part is getting through the door and pivoting (in ours). We had to slide it out to get them in and once slid in you could no longer walk anywhere. NOTE - this will get LOTS of sand/dirt into your trailer so be aware...

Definitely prefer the new inflatable kayak and paddleboard as they are easier to store inside the trailer and over/behind the trailer axles. If it is a choice of NO watercraft versus inflatables, we chose to go inflatables! And we added a reinforced (to the frame) bumper hitch to carry our road bikes (up to 4). I don't think I'd want more than 2 mountain bikes back there but road bikes have been fine for us. So that's an option depending on your trailer.

I have an upper trim powerboost so no payload left after tongue weight and passengers so that's why all my options are to use the trailer cargo capacity and keep it within its axle+tire load ratings.
Sponsored

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Thanks Daemonic! I can't imagine getting a 14' SUP into any trailer, just based on the angles/length required. But I've also seen folks with SUP/kayaks/surfboards on TOP of their trailers- I'd be a little concerned on windage then (I didn't notice what level truck was pulling them).

The bumper hitch you mention - is that at the back of the trailer?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks Daemonic! I can't imagine getting a 14' SUP into any trailer, just based on the angles/length required. But I've also seen folks with SUP/kayaks/surfboards on TOP of their trailers- I'd be a little concerned on windage then (I didn't notice what level truck was pulling them).

The bumper hitch you mention - is that at the back of the trailer?
When we had a pop-up tent trailer we definitely put the kayaks on TOP of the trailer! But I have never seen them on top of a full height travel trailer. BOLD

Regarding bumper hitch: Some trailers have a hitch in the back. Ours didnt so we added one to the 4" bumper (you can buy them easy). BUT the 4" bumper itself cannot support any decent loads other than perhaps a spare tire that doesn't create such a high torque moment. Spare tire is basically just shear force and not twist.

A load bearing hitch needs to have members welded to the frame underneath. So our mod has these extra members. I don't have a picture of mine but I'm sure there are videos online that show similar mods.

Any bike rack or cargo rack put back there just needs to make sure it isn't significant enough weight (relative to trailer) to add any tail swing, or too much torque at the bumper/attach point.

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks Daemonic3, good stuff to keep in mind! We'll see what comes in the future - I always imagine being able to fit bikes in various small places in a trailer, never accounting for how big (especially 29" mountain) bikes actually are!

I know from the minivan experience, I can fit a SUP (or two stacked) on a roof rack, plus one bike. Maybe 2 since the bed racks are wider on trucks...

OP
OP
desertlivin

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3, 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Network Architect
thanks for sharing all the info on this! What made you choose a roof rack over a bed rack? Researching all these options, I’m interested to hear what others have found from experience. I’ll have a 14’ SUP as well as 2-4 mtn bikes (if I’m not towing, I have a rack I can use for the bikes, but if I ever trailer someday, need to consider how I’d carry it all!). I don’t believe any system I’ve found yet would allow 4 mtn bikes + SUP + trailer (unless a couple bikes were IN the trailer, which I’m surprised more people don’t do??)

Thanks again!
Hi Greg, my longest kayak is 13ft and my shortest is 10ft, with the 5.5 ft bed I didn't see a good way to carry any of the 3 in the bed for a long duration. My trailer has an optional accessory for a kayak holder on the trailer roof, but that seems a bit difficult to get it up and down from there.

I also purchased a Retrax ProXR bed cover that includes the T-slot rails. I have a Yakima kit for the bed, with bike carriers. There is room for 4 bikes, but I am not sure this would be conducive to a long SUP. It is basically this same setup: The Retrax bed cover is fantastic, great quality keeps everything secured and locked for peace of mind but the canister does take up some room in the bed, so you should take that into consideration.

You may find the Yakima overHaul or something similar to be more conducive to the SUP: https://www.rackattack.com/truck-racks/yakima-overhaul-hd/ and then add in the Yakima BikerBar to put the bikes in the bed: https://www.rackattack.com/truck-bed-bike-racks/yakima-bikerbar-medium/

Sponsored

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks for all the links! I swear there’s a mind-boggling array of choices,it’s almost overwhelming!

OP
OP
desertlivin

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3, 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Network Architect
Thanks for all the links! I swear there’s a mind-boggling array of choices,it’s almost overwhelming!
You bet, good luck and share pics with whatever you end up with.
Sponsored