Sponsored

5,000 LB. max for warranty without tow package?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I think we need someone WITHOUT ANY tow package, to take a pic of their hitch receiver. It has the ratings for straight on ball, and for using a weight distribution hitch. I think @Crapblaster posted his from the tow package the other day. It clearly said something like 11,200. So maybe you only get a class 2 or 3 hitch and that is why?
I did not get a tow package other than the receiver ( it was supposed to be ordered but dealer missed it)
I will have the controller installed before I leave the grounds.
I know it is 5k all by itself and weight distributing will add quite a bit.
Not sure but I think one of the tow packages adds an engine oil cooler that used to be standard.
Not too concerned, with a proper hitch I should be able to get to 8k and I’m good with that—if not the old k1500 will pull that all day long without issues at all. ( everything on this truck is heavy duty)
When mine gets here, I’ll post a pic and even ask the dealer what the limits are.
Won’t be real high with tall rear gears.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
The Powerboost 4x4 701A 5.5' can tow up to 7,000lbs w/o TT package, though it can go up to 11,000 with the TT package. According to the documentation.
It has to do with the receiver, and then the brake controller. A class IV and then the brake controller gets your everything. My dealership was telling to get me to stay with max tow and that tow tech only got me 5,000lbs which is not the case, but I wanted to see if anyone had been told the same.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
It has to do with the receiver, and then the brake controller. A class IV and then the brake controller gets your everything. My dealership was telling to get me to stay with max tow and that tow tech only got me 5,000lbs which is not the case, but I wanted to see if anyone had been told the same.
My dealer said the same thing, then I showed them the part in the F-150 tow guide that says above 5000lbs, you need a 17T,53A,53B,53C. If you look at the power boost tow ratings, it has disclaimer "5" that if you want to go above 7000lbs for powerboost, you need the normal trailer tow package or max tow. They said I was correct.

I hate spending $1000 for the trailer tow package on what I think is an upgraded sway bar, but I am having my dealer add it. It will boost it up to 11,000lbs. I can't really reach that in reality, but as I tow boats, they have half the tongue weight of a travel trailer. It will be nice to have a lot of breathing room.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
My dealer said the same thing, then I showed them the part in the F-150 tow guide that says above 5000lbs, you need a 17T,53A,53B,53C. If you look at the power boost tow ratings, it has disclaimer "5" that if you want to go above 7000lbs for powerboost, you need the normal trailer tow package or max tow. They said I was correct.

I hate spending $1000 for the trailer tow package on what I think is an upgraded sway bar, but I am having my dealer add it. It will boost it up to 11,000lbs. I can't really reach that in reality, but as I tow boats, they have half the tongue weight of a travel trailer. It will be nice to have a lot of breathing room.

I think they are mistaken there but only because I don’t think there is anything in the trailer tow package you don’t get on a lariat 502a and the tow tech package. If I’m mistaken there let me know.

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2021 F-150 XLT Velocity Blue
Occupation
Project Manager

My read on the specs document is that the EcoBoost engines get a larger radiator with trailer tow. The Powerboost has two rows in the cooling system specs (standard, Trailer Tow) but they are both the same.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
My read on the specs document is that the EcoBoost engines get a larger radiator with trailer tow. The Powerboost has two rows in the cooling system specs (standard, Trailer Tow) but they are both the same.
Can you link that doc? I need to do some digging. Thanks

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
The Powerboost 4x4 701A 5.5' can tow up to 7,000lbs w/o TT package, though it can go up to 11,000 with the TT package. According to the documentation.
The towing guide says the tow package 53a not tow tech. Where are you seeing this. Fords documentation is very cryptic on this.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I don’t see anything about different radiators anywhere on the towing specs. Still searching.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I don’t see anything about different radiators anywhere on the towing specs. Still searching.
Check out my post here: https://www.f150forum.com/f82/tow-technology-vs-trailer-tow-packages-491149/index2/#post6796970

There is a lot of variation between trims, power trains, etc.

The bottom line is that Max Tow is not a great upgrade for PowerBoost due to the low payload, high cost, can't get the 36gal tank, and that PB comes with a 3.73 rear axle. Though the Max Tow might get the HDPP axle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Where I am hung up on this is that 17T and 53A are mutually exclusive, so what role foes 17T play here? I'm publishing a consolidated doc I will tag you in.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Check out my post here: https://www.f150forum.com/f82/tow-technology-vs-trailer-tow-packages-491149/index2/#post6796970

There is a lot of variation between trims, power trains, etc.

The bottom line is that Max Tow is not a great upgrade for PowerBoost due to the low payload, high cost, can't get the 36gal tank, and that PB comes with a 3.73 rear axle. Though the Max Tow might get the HDPP axle.
Agreed. What I still can't nail down is what is a Lariat 502A tow rating with Powerboost 4x4 145". It appears to be lacking the heavy duty sway bar, which could cost 4,000 lbs in towing?

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Where I am hung up on this is that 17T and 53A are mutually exclusive, so what role foes 17T play here? I'm publishing a consolidated doc I will tag you in.
They are in some builds I did in the build and price. Though you can have 53A and 17T on a XL. I think they are mutually exclusive on higher trim levels as you would pay more for 53A + 17T, vs 53A + 360 cam.
Sponsored