jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
2021 5.0.

I love the truck, plenty of power, super-smooth ride, etc. But it seems to make a lot of funny noises while idling. Is this normal for this engine? I know of the 2021 5.0 changes compared to previous model years. Seems like it makes a lot of strange noises during the first 2-3 minutes after cold start.

Here is a video. Doesn't really capture the noise super-well but you can hear a distinct change around 0:05s in the video - it's pretty loud in person. (need speaker with a bit of bass to pick it up - cannot hear it on my chromebook, but I can hear it on my phone). Video below:

2021 5.0 cold start

thoughts?
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Just sounds like the idle kicking up to me, any chance you had the defroster or AC on? Was thinking it might be the compressor kicking on, and the engine kicking up the idle a bit when it did.

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Just sounds like the idle kicking up to me, any chance you had the defroster or AC on? Was thinking it might be the compressor kicking on, and the engine kicking up the idle a bit when it did.
AC may have been on. It's a difficult sound to describe. It almost sounds throaty. Like there is something happening with air pressure. Almost impossible to describe but it's the loudest idling gas engine I've had. (GM trucks: 2011 5.3, 2014 5.3, 2017 6.2; Ram: 2016 6.4)

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Sounds like a loose Johnson rod to me.

kidding? I think you’re fine. Just all the moving parts in a new engine.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I have a 2021 5.0 and my 2001 Lincoln Navigator with the DOHC 5.4 is also super loud when idling. My previous truck, a 2006 Silverado with the 4.8 engine was a kitten purring in comparison, on the Silverado, one of the loudest noises was the seam of the serpentine belt! Then there's a Honda Ridgeline that I drive, which is so quiet, sometimes I try to start it while it's already running.

One of the things that seems loudest on my Navigator and Ford truck is the fan. A wild ass guess and total speculation is that, in a 4 valve per cylinder head, more of a premium is placed on cooling. So it's very possible that there's more noise associated with the fan because of a higher cooling capacity. The louder valvetrain can be heard also, when the hood is up.

There's also the electric braking system for the F-150, which I can totally hear on my Range Rover both inside and outside. While I haven't been able to pick up any distinct sound on my truck, it makes a lot of unfamiliar servo like sounds in addition to the volume of fan noise.

Sponsored

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Yeh mine sounds fine. Cant hear anything odd/different on yours.
Just idle kick up at 5 sec mark?
I think I can hear serpentine belt on mine whirring.
Plus some relays maybe.
I don't have pro power but that gets extra generator on there too maybe separate noise, I assume it has an electric clutch.? Do you have Pro power?
Plus not sure about the active shudders vent things on front. closing initially? or opening.
Mine starts cold idles up then after I let it warm up drops. then I go.
Maybe open hood and repeat and observe belts pullies relay sounds etc.
Auto stethoscope is good for finding valve tapping too.

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Good stuff, guys.

I do not have pro power. just the 400w outlets in cab and bed.

I'll probably ask the tech about the noise when I take it in for my first oil change. He'll say it's normal. I can feel good accepting that since I've heard from all of you :)

Sounds like a loose Johnson rod to me.
... I'll be sure to check on the Johnson rod ;).

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
AC may have been on. It's a difficult sound to describe. It almost sounds throaty. Like there is something happening with air pressure. Almost impossible to describe but it's the loudest idling gas engine I've had. (GM trucks: 2011 5.3, 2014 5.3, 2017 6.2; Ram: 2016 6.4)
Welcome to the DOHC life! Lol these engines are super noisy just because of the way they operate, it quiets down after it warms up.

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Welcome to the DOHC life! Lol these engines are super noisy just because of the way they operate, it quiets down after it warms up.
Interesting. Guess I never realized it was a different cam design compared to my gm engines. Do you know why it quiets down after it's warmed up? What's changes?

Sponsored

Deleted member 2919

I fixed my 5.0 exhaust 6000 miles ago, and the change you ask about at 0.05 secs is the same change that I hear when the truck is going in and out of cylinder deactivation.

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I fixed my 5.0 exhaust 6000 miles ago, and the change you ask about at 0.05 secs is the same change that I hear when the truck is going in and out of cylinder deactivation.
interesting - I guess I never thought about cylinder deactivation doing anything while idling. Coming from the GM engines that had cyl deactivation (5.3, 6.2) I agree that the engine would "bog" with a similar throaty sound while driving. Typically on the highway, with foot off the gas, going downhill.

Last edited:

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4 5.0

Mine makes the same noise as OP, but my cylinder deactivation is turned off via a Livernois tune.

@jvbronco have you had any problems with your truck? I feel like this thing makes a lot more noise than I'd expect from a newer DOHC motor, but I can't say for certain that it necessarily sounds like something bad. It's almost a rattle/vibration sound.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting. Guess I never realized it was a different cam design compared to my gm engines. Do you know why it quiets down after it's warmed up? What's changes?
The 5.0 is a dual overhead cam design. The gm has 1 cam

This is why the 5.0 makes much more power than the Chevy 5.3 or whatever it is. Can adjust timing on exhaust valves and intake seperatly, without having to change cams.

Plus 4 valves typically move more air than 2.

So your v8 has 3 more cams, and double the valves, rocker arms, etc.

More stuff. More power. More noise.

Reactions: Geo

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
mine sounds like a school bus when you start it up but calms down after a bit
Sponsored