First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150 xlt/fx4/sport 2004 Ranger edge SC
Occupation
retired
Trying to find out the differences in the systems used now, versus what we had on the previous generations. Anyone that's done their level/lift can tell me the differences, photos would be great.
Does the TorqueOnDemand, 4A, still have a vacuum system?
Does the ElectronicShiftOn the Fly have any changes to the IWEs?
Sponsored

OP
OP
johnday

johnday

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
It appears Ford has done away with the vacuum system for IWE engagement, and gone to a electromechanical system.
The IWE's now have an electromagnet actuated IWE. The IWEs also use 2 bolts to attach to the steering knuckle. That's all the info I have right now. PDF attachment show the layout.

Attachments

Last edited:

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I know the vacuum IWEs failed regularly, and I believe it was often the vacuum system that leaked and then eventually caused mechanical damage to the IWEs and the hubs, so movement to an electromechanical system is hopefully a huge step up in reliability.

OP
OP
johnday

johnday

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Chris, just what Roger said. Ford used the vacuum system on the 13th, 12th, and 11th generation F150's, without any real changes. Not everyone had problems, but quite a few. Some of them multiple times. Some of the problems were caused by improper repair, and techs not knowing how the system worked. This new actuating system looks like it just might be more reliable, and fewer parts involved. Why Ford didn't do something a long time ago, is anyones guess.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
johnday

johnday

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Hate acronyms
What is IWE?.
Is this independent wheel engagement?

My old Chevy has that electric actuator (first year that actually works) that engaged the differential to the driveshaft and locks the differential.

That drawing leads me to believe that the individual wheels are engaged with a coil.
( the electric version of getting out to lock hubs)

Is this about right?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I know the vacuum IWEs failed regularly, and I believe it was often the vacuum system that leaked and then eventually caused mechanical damage to the IWEs and the hubs, so movement to an electromechanical system is hopefully a huge step up in reliability.
I had to replace the check valve 3 times on my former ‘18. Mine would grind from time to time, especially on the first drive of the day. Made sense. Fortunately it was a 2 minute fix and the part was $10.

OP
OP
johnday

johnday

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Hate acronyms
What is IWE?.
Is this independent wheel engagement?

My old Chevy has that electric actuator (first year that actually works) that engaged the differential to the driveshaft and locks the differential.

That drawing leads me to believe that the individual wheels are engaged with a coil.
( the electric version of getting out to lock hubs)

Is this about right?
IWE, Integrated Wheel End per Ford.
We're both thinking somewhat alike, except I'm thinking the magnet holds the IWEs disconnected.
Some are saying there is still vacuum applied, I'm led to believe it's all electric. Did you read that link? A couple different ideas there.;)

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
IWE, Integrated Wheel End per Ford.
We're both thinking somewhat alike, except I'm thinking the magnet holds the IWEs disconnected.
Some are saying there is still vacuum applied, I'm led to believe it's all electric. Did you read that link? A couple different ideas there.;)
I looked at the link.
But I was just thinking of the guy having serious clunking in his new truck.
If one of these units were faulty, or a weak electrical current could explain his issues.
He mentioned upon picking it up from service, low voltage was detected.

Sponsored

OP
OP
johnday

johnday

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I looked at the link.
But I was just thinking of the guy having serious clunking in his new truck.
If one of these units were faulty, or a weak electrical current could explain his issues.
He mentioned upon picking it up from service, low voltage was detected.
Oh, I see what you're saying, I didn't catch that for some reason. You may be on to something.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
The AutoBlog Suspension Deep Dive posted on another thread pretty clearly shows a vacuum line going to the IWE, along with a wire harness. So it is a new design, but it appears vacuum still plays a part in the actuation.

OP
OP
johnday

johnday

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
The AutoBlog Suspension Deep Dive posted on another thread pretty clearly shows a vacuum line going to the IWE, along with a wire harness. So it is a new design, but it appears vacuum still plays a part in the actuation.
Gold Star to Roger!!! That answers some of the questions about the "E"IWE. Thank you!!

Ford F-150 4X4 System differences 9_fr_hub_lock_a

This seems to be another potentially significant but unsung change to the 2021 Ford F-150. The F-150’s four-wheel-drive system has typically used a vacuum-operated hub disconnect system called IWEs (Integrated Wheel Ends) that allow the wheels to freewheel when the truck is in two-wheel drive. But these hub disconnect units (yellow) look different, and they go by the slightly different acronym EIWE, which stands for electric integrated wheel end.

Now, I’m pretty sure I’m still seeing one vacuum line along with a control wire. I’ve not seen a cutaway that shows the innards, but it looks like the electronics that control the vacuum have been moved to the hub area itself. What I do know is that if you search Ford IWE you’ll see loads of articles and videos on how to fix previous IWEs when they fail. Do they fail often? I don’t have the statistics. Is this a step forward? It’s probably too early to tell. But it does seem to be a departure worth pointing out.

OP
OP
johnday

johnday

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Here's a photo a member on another site I'm on posted.
Ford F-150 4X4 System differences 1611868277215

tfrose

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 5.0, FX4, Oxford White
Ford F-150 4X4 System differences AFDE76D9-3CB0-45B2-8DF2-186DD89FC615
I I may be a little late on this, but Im in middle of installing my lift. I followed the possible “Vacuum line” up. See pic. It’s capped off. I’m assuming it’s a vented cap.
Sponsored