4X4 System differences

crsavage1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I just had Vertex coil overs installed at a shop. Went to pick the truck up last night and when leaving the parking lot, made a horrible clunk noise and tore the CV boot open dumping the grease. Went in and told the guys and they asked if I hit a curb....anyhow they are taking care of the boot but this seems super odd to me. I was curious if either something was amiss in the EIWE and it began eating something inside or what. The reference to the thread about another person with a new truck clunking struck an interest but didn't see it anywhere. I suspicion is something else is not right with mine. No way a CV boot just tears open without something being seriously wrong with CV angle etc. I confirmed with RC that they are approved for the 2021's but something smells way off and I am concerned. Anyone else with a lift run into thunking/clunking or things amiss with the EIWE?
Sponsored

AccentedWanderer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 5.5. 2018 Audi Q5
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I just had Vertex coil overs installed at a shop. Went to pick the truck up last night and when leaving the parking lot, made a horrible clunk noise and tore the CV boot open dumping the grease. Went in and told the guys and they asked if I hit a curb....anyhow they are taking care of the boot but this seems super odd to me. I was curious if either something was amiss in the EIWE and it began eating something inside or what. The reference to the thread about another person with a new truck clunking struck an interest but didn't see it anywhere. I suspicion is something else is not right with mine. No way a CV boot just tears open without something being seriously wrong with CV angle etc. I confirmed with RC that they are approved for the 2021's but something smells way off and I am concerned. Anyone else with a lift run into thunking/clunking or things amiss with the EIWE?
Or maybe they have done a shitty job and not installing the CV joint correctly?

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
Gold Star to Roger!!! That answers some of the questions about the "E"IWE. Thank you!!

9_fr_hub_lock_a.jpg

This seems to be another potentially significant but unsung change to the 2021 Ford F-150. The F-150’s four-wheel-drive system has typically used a vacuum-operated hub disconnect system called IWEs (Integrated Wheel Ends) that allow the wheels to freewheel when the truck is in two-wheel drive. But these hub disconnect units (yellow) look different, and they go by the slightly different acronym EIWE, which stands for electric integrated wheel end.

Now, I’m pretty sure I’m still seeing one vacuum line along with a control wire. I’ve not seen a cutaway that shows the innards, but it looks like the electronics that control the vacuum have been moved to the hub area itself. What I do know is that if you search Ford IWE you’ll see loads of articles and videos on how to fix previous IWEs when they fail. Do they fail often? I don’t have the statistics. Is this a step forward? It’s probably too early to tell. But it does seem to be a departure worth pointing out.
That deep dive is a fantastic resource, very easy to understand even for my lay person’s ears. Lol. My question relates to the deep dives brake system changes for the 14th generation, and how they put e boosted systems in all models in order to accommodate the hybrid power trains. Wouldn’t a vacuum dependent system need the engine to be on to create the vacuum? It seems odd that they would do away with the vacuum in the braking system but not the EIWE’s. Especially considering all the nightmares caused by the vacuum leaks in past models.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Wouldn’t a vacuum dependent system need the engine to be on to create the vacuum? It seems odd that they would do away with the vacuum in the braking system but not the EIWE’s. Especially considering all the nightmares caused by the vacuum leaks in past models.
Check back on post #15, This line has been discovered to be a vent line for the sealed moving cam mechanism. So, no vacuum.
Sponsored