Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Air Traffic Control
2021 Lariat.

I noticed last night while turning into my neighborhood that I’m getting a loud bang/clunk sound from what sounds like driver side front. We had some snow so I was in 4H when this occurred. I was making a left turn at a normal speed. I had music playing (18 speaker system) and I heard it over that! I turned the music down and then made another left, I heard it again but not as loud. Then today I’m doing some testing to see if I notice anything. In 2H, silence. No sounds at any speed or turns but as soon as I switch to 4H I notice Some weird sounds from the front, almost like a sticking rotor...metal on metal type noise. Then like clock work, turn left and accelerate slightly, clunk! I also noticed in 4H that I get the clunk when I brake somewhat harder (did that for testing). So basically, in left turns only, and sometimes under harder acceleration (around 2,000rpms)/braking. Taking it in Monday.
Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I don't remember where (the site)- but I did read on a that somone (sites that do reviews) did a review & they mention the same thing. I would be interested to hear from Ford it this normal?

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
I don't remember where (the site)- but I did read on a that somone (sites that do reviews) did a review & they mention the same thing. I would be interested to hear from Ford it this normal?
If you are in 4H and the road is not slippery you are probably binding during the turn. 4H is only designed to be used in low traction situations.

OP
OP

Bradr03

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Air Traffic Control
If you are in 4H and the road is not slippery you are probably binding during the turn. 4H is only designed to be used in low traction situations.
There was fresh snow on the ground, and that wouldn’t explain the clunking when accelerating straight or under braking. I had the same thought though and coming from a 2018 Wrangler, I wouldn’t expect an F150 to be louder

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
There was fresh snow on the ground, and that wouldn’t explain the clunking when accelerating straight or under braking. I had the same thought though and coming from a 2018 Wrangler, I wouldn’t expect an F150 to be louder
Does your Lariat have 4A? If it does, does it also make this sound in that mode?

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
In 4hi and 4lo, you have effectively tied the front and rear drives together.
in a turn, they will be going different speeds.

In my old timey 78 K10, if I would be turning on a hard surface in 4hi lock (This was a full time 4x4), that truck would make all kinds of weird noises and bounce like a bronco. You instantly knew the road was dry and you were in the wrong range.

That particular transfer case also had a differential in it for 4hi so the front and rear would operate separately but together.

I seldom used 4hi lock, 4lo lock unless I was off road in the mountains of Utah. But regular 4-hi was a blast on the ice and even snow covered roads. Hit the gas and the truck moved sideways about a foot and just took off.

in a 76 K10 3/4 ton, when I was a kid, we would lock the front hubs in October and leave them locked until the end of April. that truck bounced a bit and occasionally made some noise, but we did not have to get out in the elements to lock it in when we shifted to 4wd

my current 98 k1500 has lockers front and rear. Forgot to take it out of 4wd once after dragging crap into my backyard to burn (need 4x4 to get back out of the sand).
Drove into town the next day and thought something seemed weird about the way the truck was driving. Thing got a bit bound up when I turned into a parking lot and it decided to just stop.
had to back up some some to shift it back to 2wd and it took a bit more backing turning the steering wheel back and forth before the front differential disengaged.

This happens, don't get too concerned about it, front ends sometimes clunk a bit.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I wonder if this could be an issue with the hubs.

OP
OP

Bradr03

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Air Traffic Control
Guys, I appreciate your insight but I’m not trying to debate whether it’s a normal sound or not. Respectfully, it’s NOT a normal clunk/bang. It’s a very sudden bang/pop/clunk..it’s loud as hell and shakes the car. It happens in a turn but also while driving straight. I haven’t tried in 4A yet.

This isn’t my first f150 and it’s far from my first 4wd vehicle. Somethings is wrong and I’ll update you once I hear back from the dealership.

MidnightM

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCREW Sport 5.0, 2021 F-150 SCREW Sport
2021 Lariat.

I noticed last night while turning into my neighborhood that I’m getting a loud bang/clunk sound from what sounds like driver side front. We had some snow so I was in 4H when this occurred. I was making a left turn at a normal speed. I had music playing (18 speaker system) and I heard it over that! I turned the music down and then made another left, I heard it again but not as loud. Then today I’m doing some testing to see if I notice anything. In 2H, silence. No sounds at any speed or turns but as soon as I switch to 4H I notice Some weird sounds from the front, almost like a sticking rotor...metal on metal type noise. Then like clock work, turn left and accelerate slightly, clunk! I also noticed in 4H that I get the clunk when I brake somewhat harder (did that for testing). So basically, in left turns only, and sometimes under harder acceleration (around 2,000rpms)/braking. Taking it in Monday.
This is normal, you need slick conditions to not notice binding. Try not to make tight turns if you have to with your 4wheel system on.

OP
OP

Bradr03

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Air Traffic Control
This is normal, you need slick conditions to not notice binding. Try not to make tight turns if you have to with your 4wheel system on.
Thanks ??

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
He stated there was fresh snow on the ground when it happened. So no, not normal.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
What others have said so far is correct, the inside and outside wheel travel different distances through a turn, and thus, need go different speeds for a smooth ride.

When the truck is in 4H or 4L, the differential is locked meaning both wheels travel at the same speed.

Here is an old video I came across when I was trying to learn about locking differentials and how to use my 4x4 without hurting it. The video is from General Motors, go figure!

You all may already know all of this, but it really helped me out as I was learning!

Last edited:

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
What others have said so far is correct the inside and outside wheel travel different distances through a turn, and thus, need go different speeds for a smooth ride.

When the truck is in 4H or 4L, the differential is locked meaning both wheels travel at the same speed.

Here is an old video I came across when I was trying to learn about locking differentials and how to use my 4x4 without hurting it. The video is from General Motors, go figure!

You all may already know all of this, but it really helped me out as I was learning!
Correct but it should not make a noise, or bind, on a slick surface such as snow.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Wouldn’t it potentially do that it the differential was locked?
Not on a surface that has any chance of the tires slipping.
You might get a bit of bounce or hop, but should be no noise.
it is when the surface is dry and a tire cannot slip one would get the noise.

But he also mentioned this is not his first rodeo with a 4x4, and he has a sense of what is normal and what is not.

All of the different 4x4 vehicles I have had with different types of drives all behaved a bit differently.
This I can grasp the concept of. I have no illusions of the new truck behaving in a similar fashion as the older ones, but if something is not right, it will be apparent right away.

There will be normal noises-clunking, and then there will be noises-clunking that is not normal.
At any rate-it needs to be looked into.
Sponsored