Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Easy for you. I'm in CA. I just sent an email so I'll see what they say. Its a heck of a drive but if the deal is good enough...
It was worth it to me, and I'm on the coast. I'd never been to Iowa, Colorado, or Utah, so it was like a micro vacation.

If you are near a big airport it would be even a few hundred cheaper than it was for me. And gas is dipping so it'll probably be well under $4 for most of the way back. Also, I had forgotten you get the first tank included on pickup.
Sponsored

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Easy for you. I'm in CA. I just sent an email so I'll see what they say. Its a heck of a drive but if the deal is good enough...
I live in the Bay Area and I ordered through Granger. My truck should be delivered this month. I’ll fly up and drive back. The deal was worth it to me.

Flight options from the Bay Area to Des Moines suck though, no direct flights when I last looked.

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
I live in the Bay Area and I ordered through Granger. My truck should be delivered this month. I’ll fly up and drive back. The deal was worth it to me.

Flight options from the Bay Area to Des Moines suck though, no direct flights when I last looked.
I never bought a car out of state. Do you know how it works when you bring it back with the California emissions standards and getting it registered?

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I never bought a car out of state. Do you know how it works when you bring it back with the California emissions standards and getting it registered?
It's pretty straight forward You need to:

1a) Go to the DMV with the truck and start registration for an out of state vehicle. I was a nerd and used Acrobat to fill out the form on the computer and print it out.
1b) Get a VIN verification while you're there.
1c) Pay the sales tax and registration fees (estimate your fees HERE so you're not surprised. Vehicle Type Commercial, Weight Type Unladen, Weight Range 5001-6000). When you pay the fees you get a 2 month operating permit.
1d) *optional* Confuse the lady that you don't have your title from Iowa yet. Mine came in when Granger said it would, so I have to take it back in.

2) Get a weight certificate signed by the weighmaster of the scale for your truck. This can be a CAT scale, or the one at the local dump, but it has to be signed by the weighmaster.

3) Get a SMOG. Yes, as a vestigial requirement from the days of 49-state cars, you still have to smog it. Write your state assemblyperson and state senator to update this law...then sh!t in one hand and wish in the other...

4) ....Guess I'll tell you when I'm complete, but I think when you go back in with 1d, 3, and 4 they issue you your plate.

I don't think I forgot anything.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
New cars sold in the US have 50 state emissions so that shouldn’t be a problem. The rest I’ll figure out when I go through the process.

I believe Granger provides a transit tag. And when we register with the DMV in CA we have to pay sales tax.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
Thanks for those who reached out within the first month of ordering 2023 F-150s. We've received over 50 retail orders orders so far. Our allocation for the first month, which really doesn't account for any of these retail orders, is over 60 F-150s. So the only thing that could potentially hold back VIN assigned and scheduling is commodity restraints. Hopefully we see those issues ease as 2023 production begins.

We didn't think that was going to be an issue for 2022 either, but we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Zach

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Thanks for those who reached out within the first month of ordering 2023 F-150s. We've received over 50 retail orders orders so far. Our allocation for the first month, which really doesn't account for any of these retail orders, is over 60 F-150s. So the only thing that could potentially hold back VIN assigned and scheduling is commodity restraints. Hopefully we see those issues ease as 2023 production begins.

We didn't think that was going to be an issue for 2022 either, but we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Zach
Does that mean 10 units may go towards dealer stock?

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors

KEVINL

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Stinger
Just submitted an order for a 2023 XLT yesterday with Granger so you can add 1 more to that 50. Extremely efficient order submission process. Love it, beats sitting in a dealership staring at walls for hours.

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150, 2017 F150
Occupation
Police Officer
Is there a time limit or vehicle limit for this deal?? I won't be ready to order until next year, just didn't know if I would have to wait for the 2024 model year.

Sponsored

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Just submitted an order for a 2023 XLT yesterday with Granger so you can add 1 more to that 50. Extremely efficient order submission process. Love it, beats sitting in a dealership staring at walls for hours.
They deserve it - the most transparency that I've seen.

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
It's pretty straight forward You need to:

1a) Go to the DMV with the truck and start registration for an out of state vehicle. I was a nerd and used Acrobat to fill out the form on the computer and print it out.
1b) Get a VIN verification while you're there.
1c) Pay the sales tax and registration fees (estimate your fees HERE so you're not surprised. Vehicle Type Commercial, Weight Type Unladen, Weight Range 5001-6000). When you pay the fees you get a 2 month operating permit.
1d) *optional* Confuse the lady that you don't have your title from Iowa yet. Mine came in when Granger said it would, so I have to take it back in.

2) Get a weight certificate signed by the weighmaster of the scale for your truck. This can be a CAT scale, or the one at the local dump, but it has to be signed by the weighmaster.

3) Get a SMOG. Yes, as a vestigial requirement from the days of 49-state cars, you still have to smog it. Write your state assemblyperson and state senator to update this law...then sh!t in one hand and wish in the other...

4) ....Guess I'll tell you when I'm complete, but I think when you go back in with 1d, 3, and 4 they issue you your plate.

I don't think I forgot anything.
I am also in California and bought an F150 from a dealership in Oklahoma. If you hate the DMV like most normal people, I was able to do everything except the VIN verification and smog at AAA and get my license plates within 20 minutes. This is only if the vehicle was bought from a dealership.

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
Also ordered an XLT from Granger the other day. Very painless experience. But I haven’t dealt with the finance person yet so we’ll see.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Congrats on your order! I still have to pick up my truck as it is just scheduled for production 8/22 but so far Granger and their process has been great.

I would hate to see these guys and girls go but Ford should put them on corporate payroll and set up a training program and business model with the way they do it. Imagine if this buying experience, whether you get below invoice or not, was the norm for most Ford dealerships across the country.

Harry Dangler

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired
Also ordered an XLT from Granger the other day. Very painless experience. But I haven’t dealt with the finance person yet so we’ll see.
I have and it's painless as well best car buying experience I've ever experienced :p It literally took 5 or 10 mins
Sponsored