Sponsored

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
Earlier 3 week review is here https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/10-first-impressions-on-my-new-2023-pb-lariat.14526/

At the 3 month mark, I can say I still love this truck. I recently had to go on an unexpected 2200 mile round trip. During this trip I got to use the "new" technology such as Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise. Also got to get the feel of the comfort of the seats and the general feel for the layout. This trip pushed me to the 4500 mile mark.

I will give adaptive cruise a 10 of 10. I really liked it especially after I figured out the correct spacing for me. Too far apart, cars will swoop in and slow you down even more. Too close was just to nerve racking with worrying if the system will work correctly. Especially at highway speeds.

As far as lane keep assist goes, I would give it an 8 out of 10. The thing kept telling me to put my hands on the wheel. I clearly had my hand on it. After about 15 or 20 minutes I realized that it does not care so much that your hands are on the wheel but instead that you are giving some feedback to the steering wheel. That means you have to move the steering wheel on your own ever so slightly or apply a slight pressure against the automatic movement. There were a few issues with the lane widening at exit ramps and the truck tried to center in the widening exit lane only to realize it was over to far and made a correction. I had to move the wheel a bit to adjust for my own sanity. Also road construction areas are a diffinate no go. If the lanes in a contraction area are erratic or not well marked it had a hard time knowing what to do. Also it seems to like to snuggle up to semi trucks. I bit closer than I would like. These things are why you need to still be alert and pay attention. I did not get the Blue Cruise option and do not see a point in it since I have similar tech. Blue Cruise lets you take your hands off the wheel but you have to stay looking forward. Without it I have to provide steering wheel feedback and that is close enough to self driving for me.

Overall seat comfort was good. After a few hours my butt started getting uncomfortable but that may be more of a "me" issue. I had to stop to use the facilities every few hours anyway so I got out stretched and was good for the next few hours. I was eventually able to configure the pedals, the seat, and steering wheel to find the perfect position for the long trips.

As far as MPGs, I got a hand calculated 19.9MPG (overall trip meter said 20.0MPG) running on Premium for the 2200 mile trip. I drove about 8 hours per day for 2 days to get there and the same on the way back. The average speed was about 75 to 80MPH for most of the driving. I will take that for a truck this size and the speed I was driving. It was great not having to stop for gas during each day's trip. Fill up, get on the road, and driver for about 600 miles. Stopping only for bathroom breaks and maybe food.

At this point I might say the engine and system is "broken in". Since I got back home, the MPG on this tank (trip meter) of gas reads 21.8MPG (half of tank so far) on the gauges with regular unleaded. I can make 15 mile/30 min trips where I can get 25MPG. for "this" trip. Before the "break in" these would read about sub 20MPG for the tank (trip meter) and never better that 22 for "this" trip. Now some of that may be temperature related since in the southeast the average temps went from mid 40s to mid 60s in this same time frame.

I still get many compliments on the Avalanche with BAP color scheme.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
On the hands on the wheel thing reminders. What its wanting is a little movement of the wheel initiated by the driver. Then it knows you are still around. I've found many stretches of interstate that are straight enough to not need any movement. The result is that it triggers the the "Hey are you there?" warnings.

Solution is easy, and doesn't disrupt the truck or passengers. Just a slight occasional movement of the wheel. After a while it becomes almost second nature.

capetownkg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, Lariat, PowerBoost, SuperCrew, 6.5’
Solution is easy, and doesn't disrupt the truck or passengers. Just a slight occasional movement of the wheel. After a while it becomes almost second nature.
Get yourself a small 2lb velcro weight, strap it to the wheel and just sit and monitor it and never touch the wheel. Did this on my recent 1300 mile trip and would go hours without touching the wheel.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The system isn't looking so much as a hand on the wheel as it's looking for some kind of drag on the wheel. Personally I have both a blue cruise version and the assist 2.0 which doesn't have eye sensors and treat them both the same with keeping my knee rubbing the wheel. One it provides the torque feedback to the system thinking it's moving my hand when it's actually just dragging the wheel on my knee -- the second reason for the knee is the exit lanes that widen w/ out appropriate dashed lane markings. I can simply use my knee to keep it from trying to exit or steer if needed.

The dumbest part of the system that ford needs to fix is long straightaways where it wants you to move the wheel when the road is just straight straight. Hello @Ford Motor Company - stop requiring us to move the wheel in straightaways.

dmart

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost 4x4
Occupation
Data Scientist
Did you try different drive modes? I’m wondering how different normal vs eco mode the mpg from a full tank of highway miles.

Sponsored

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Get yourself a small 2lb velcro weight, strap it to the wheel and just sit and monitor it and never touch the wheel. Did this on my recent 1300 mile trip and would go hours without touching the wheel.
When the airbag goes on, projecting that into your fact, you will feel the pain.

OP
OP
Tripdaddy95

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you try different drive modes? I’m wondering how different normal vs eco mode the mpg from a full tank of highway miles.
No I did not. I honestly forget I have an ECO mode so I forget to try it. I drove all that time in "Normal" mode.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
When the airbag goes on, projecting that into your fact, you will feel the pain.
This is an important thing to consider!

The airbag rapidly expands from the center of the steering wheel - out in all directions.

So, it seems to me the weight would just be pinned between the wheel and the airbag.

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is an important thing to consider!

The airbag rapidly expands from the center of the steering wheel - out in all directions.

So, it seems to me the weight would just be pinned between the wheel and the airbag.
All I know is that a one time Boss, was given a note pad for the steering wheel by his mother in law. He rear ended someone on the Mass Pike.

Had a square shaped bruise on his face from the note pad and multiple cuts as the plastic backing was blown into little pieces by the airbag.

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I don't know how the Lariat seats differ from the 302a seats but the first 5 hour plus road trip in my XLT powerboost pee breaks were the only limiting factor. Otherwise I feel like I could put 10 hours in behind the wheel and still feel fine. It's wonderful, On My 09 Tundra minor low back pain would set in after 3-4 hours no matter how I set the lumbar support.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tripdaddy95

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I read the post about using a weight to go hands free more as an attempt at humor.

Most of know NEVER to attach anything to the steering wheel or any place an airbag will go off. The others that don't know that are helping with Darwinism. Some people just want to be nominees for the Darwin awards. Also remember there are reasons for all the common sense warning labels on everything. Common sense ain't so common anymore.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their cars.
Earlier 3 week review is here https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/10-first-impressions-on-my-new-2023-pb-lariat.14526/

At the 3 month mark, I can say I still love this truck. I recently had to go on an unexpected 2200 mile round trip. During this trip I got to use the "new" technology such as Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise. Also got to get the feel of the comfort of the seats and the general feel for the layout. This trip pushed me to the 4500 mile mark.

I will give adaptive cruise a 10 of 10. I really liked it especially after I figured out the correct spacing for me. Too far apart, cars will swoop in and slow you down even more. Too close was just to nerve racking with worrying if the system will work correctly. Especially at highway speeds.

As far as lane keep assist goes, I would give it an 8 out of 10. The thing kept telling me to put my hands on the wheel. I clearly had my hand on it. After about 15 or 20 minutes I realized that it does not care so much that your hands are on the wheel but instead that you are giving some feedback to the steering wheel. That means you have to move the steering wheel on your own ever so slightly or apply a slight pressure against the automatic movement. There were a few issues with the lane widening at exit ramps and the truck tried to center in the widening exit lane only to realize it was over to far and made a correction. I had to move the wheel a bit to adjust for my own sanity. Also road construction areas are a diffinate no go. If the lanes in a contraction area are erratic or not well marked it had a hard time knowing what to do. Also it seems to like to snuggle up to semi trucks. I bit closer than I would like. These things are why you need to still be alert and pay attention. I did not get the Blue Cruise option and do not see a point in it since I have similar tech. Blue Cruise lets you take your hands off the wheel but you have to stay looking forward. Without it I have to provide steering wheel feedback and that is close enough to self driving for me.

Overall seat comfort was good. After a few hours my butt started getting uncomfortable but that may be more of a "me" issue. I had to stop to use the facilities every few hours anyway so I got out stretched and was good for the next few hours. I was eventually able to configure the pedals, the seat, and steering wheel to find the perfect position for the long trips.

As far as MPGs, I got a hand calculated 19.9MPG (overall trip meter said 20.0MPG) running on Premium for the 2200 mile trip. I drove about 8 hours per day for 2 days to get there and the same on the way back. The average speed was about 75 to 80MPH for most of the driving. I will take that for a truck this size and the speed I was driving. It was great not having to stop for gas during each day's trip. Fill up, get on the road, and driver for about 600 miles. Stopping only for bathroom breaks and maybe food.

At this point I might say the engine and system is "broken in". Since I got back home, the MPG on this tank (trip meter) of gas reads 21.8MPG (half of tank so far) on the gauges with regular unleaded. I can make 15 mile/30 min trips where I can get 25MPG. for "this" trip. Before the "break in" these would read about sub 20MPG for the tank (trip meter) and never better that 22 for "this" trip. Now some of that may be temperature related since in the southeast the average temps went from mid 40s to mid 60s in this same time frame.

I still get many compliments on the Avalanche with BAP color scheme.
Thanks for sharing! Glad you figured out a way to adjust the seat and stuff to improve comfort. You made a great choice! Hope you continue to enjoy it!

Bugzuki

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 PowerBoost Super Crew 4x4
So you enjoyed the adaptive cruise but did you try the intelligent mode with the speed tolerance? I use that all the time. It is so nice to get to a town and have the truck automatically slow down to the posted speed.

It is kind of frustrating when it sees the 45mph sign on the frontage road and hits the breaks or in California when it grabs the truck 55 sign, but for the most part it keeps me a 7 over all the time with little fear of a ticket.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
I'd be far more concerned about others involved in the accident this will eventually cause.

CD23F150

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2007 GT500
Really surprised at the Highway MPG. I guess it’s similar to the 5.0/3.5 at interstate speeds.
Sponsored