Sponsored

3.5L EcoBoost vs 3.5L PowerBoost - Net Cost Difference Only $700?

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I'm running the cost numbers on an order for a Limited 4x4. Initially I had little interest or perceived need for the additional features offered with the PowerBoost / Hybrid. I took a quick look at the $1900 upcharge, and thought it would take a long time to breakeven, taking into account the better gas mileage of the PB. And about the only reason I'd realistically use the 7.2kw generator would be to power my house in case of an electrical outage, but I already have a 7000kw portable generator (and transfer box in my garage) for that.

However, just for kicks I priced out the PB option, and came to the conclusion that the true additional cost for adding it was only $700. This is helped by the key fact that with the 3.5L EB as standard, I was adding and paying for the lockable storage, 3.55 electronic locking axle (highest ratio available on 3.5L EB), and extended range fuel tank. When opting for the PB, it evidently includes the lockable storage and 3.73 ELA, and the extended fuel tank is not available or really even needed (PB has slightly greater range even with smaller tank).

Attached below are the numbers I ran, which takes into account MSRP, Invoice Price, and A/Z Plan discount (regardless the delta in price is ~$700). Taking into account the slightly higher purchase price, the "breakeven" point would be around just under 2 years.

Wanted to double-check with the braintrust of this forum to make sure my assumptions and numbers are correct, and that I wasn't missing anything. If not, then I think it makes sense to upgrade to the PB. Thanks for taking a look!

Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost vs 3.5L PowerBoost - Net Cost Difference Only $700? EB vs PB
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Wow! That's really interesting, I had not looked much into Limited once I learned you can't do max tow or FX4.

* On Limited, the price gap between EB and PB is the SAME as it is on other trims, BUT you get for free:
* Partitioned locking storage tossed in (why???)
* Automatically get the 7.2kW version for same price that other trims get 2.4kW
* It defaults to 3.31 ratio (never realized this as I was always adding max tow to my configs) so you have to "upgrade" to get 3.55

To make things even crazier? I thought let's compare *Limited* EB+propower to PB as equivalent as possible. So on the EB I added 3.55 ratio, 2kW propower, and folding locking storage. The gap was down to about $200!!

NOTE: The above config should not be allowed as the folding lockable storage is not supposed to be allowed with 2kW propower due to incompatibility under the seat. But NOW it seems to be allowed... I tested it on Limited/Plat/KR ecoboosts... Do we think Ford figured out how to make it work because visually it has always seemed doable...

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Oh wait I forgot the extended range tank! That means an EB+propower costs MORE than the PB default for Limited, plus you get the 7.2kW version. WOW!

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
One disadvantage of going with PB vs EB on the Limited is that with PB you lose ~ 270lbs in payload capacity (near as I can tell in looking at the payload stickers).

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
To make things even crazier? I thought let's compare *Limited* EB+propower to PB as equivalent as possible. So on the EB I added 3.55 ratio, 2kW propower, and folding locking storage. The gap was down to about $200!!

NOTE: The above config should not be allowed as the folding lockable storage is not supposed to be allowed with 2kW propower due to incompatibility under the seat. But NOW it seems to be allowed... I tested it on Limited/Plat/KR ecoboosts... Do we think Ford figured out how to make it work because visually it has always seemed doable...
Another interesting analysis! For only $200 difference in price seem like it'd be a no-brainer to get the PB over the EB on a Limited.

But.... with PB you lose some payload capacity... ~270lbs I think (if that matters to you).

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Another interesting analysis! For only $200 difference in price seem like it'd be a no-brainer to get the PB over the EB on a Limited.

But.... with PB you lose some payload capacity... ~270lbs I think (if that matters to you).
My guess is that it would not matter to most Limited owners, as it isn't really a tow or even offroad beast. But my advice is since you likely won't be offroading with it go with PB 4x2 and get 200# back in payload...

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
My guess is that it would not matter to most Limited owners, as it isn't really a tow or even offroad beast. But my advice is since you likely won't be offroading with it go with PB 4x2 and get 200# back in payload...
In my case I do occasionally tow a 7x14 dual-axle enclosed trailer (full of dirt bikes) and a ski boat (350-400lbs max tongue weight), so even with that plus 5 adult passengers (@ 185lbs), I'd still be just under payload capacity (assuming it's ~1,371 lbs for the Limited PB).

I also drive in snow conditions (pavement only), so the 4x4 is needed/wanted.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
PB does come with a bigger 30.6 gallon tank. Standard/non-maxtow/extended is 26 gallon.
Right... PB with 30.6 gallon tank has greater range than an EB with 36 gallon tank option.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Right... PB with 30.6 gallon tank has greater range than an EB with 36 gallon tank option.
I will love it for daily driving but not where the range is the most important... When towing on long drives! When towing we will be purely gas and at 10mpg (what I get today) that last 50-60 miles can be important when planning a 5hr trip between campgrounds (usually right around 300 miles). Something I will have to deal with.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I will love it for daily driving but not where the range is the most important... When towing on long drives! When towing we will be purely gas and at 10mpg (what I get today) that last 50-60 miles can be important when planning a 5hr trip between campgrounds (usually right around 300 miles). Something I will have to deal with.
Good point... I do tow my enclosed trailer from Michigan to Colorado 1x per year... And would be happy to get 10mpg! My 2010 150 V8 Lariat got 7mpg on that drive.
Sponsored