Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremmaaahhh
Occupation
Pilot
Hey guys,
This the only F150 forum I watch, so apologize for a non 2021 question. I had been eyeing the new model but also wasn’t opposed to finding a leftover deal on a 2019/2020, and that’s the direction I ended up going getting a 2019 Ruby Red limited. I had been leasing a 2018 Lariat with the 3.5 V6 previously. My questions with the high output high engine are..

1. Is there anything under the hood that’s visibly different to a non car guy other than the twin exhaust?

2. And for someone who’s driven both the stock 3.5 and the high output.. after watching a lot of reviews I was expecting to hit the gas and be ‘floored’ by the extra power, but honestly it doesn’t feel that much more powerful than my previous 3.5 ecoboost. With only a 100 miles I’m letting the engine break in a bit before really giving it some gas but definitely expected more zip just based on reviews. Is that about the same feeling others have/had when driving each one?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
Visibly it is very difficult to tell without close inspection, and even then it’s not super obvious. So, not really anything to see.

As for speed; gearing can make a difference in how it feels. It is more powerful but seat of the pants it would probably feel a lot different if: you run 93 octane exclusively and definitely a good tune. Oh, and the 22” rims aren’t helping the cause either. They’re heavy!

the limited is a nice truck. I miss my 2011. Sadly I won’t go with an ecoboost again. V8 is simple and proven, plus a Whipple means I get that super sexy whine. Haha

OP
OP
Golf17

Golf17

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremmaaahhh
Occupation
Pilot
Visibly it is very difficult to tell without close inspection, and even then it’s not super obvious. So, not really anything to see.

As for speed; gearing can make a difference in how it feels. It is more powerful but seat of the pants it would probably feel a lot different if: you run 93 octane exclusively and definitely a good tune. Oh, and the 22” rims aren’t helping the cause either. They’re heavy!

the limited is a nice truck. I miss my 2011. Sadly I won’t go with an ecoboost again. V8 is simple and proven, plus a Whipple means I get that super sexy whine. Haha

Thanks for the info!! Had read some articles on using premium. Always put 87 in my other EcoBoost but maybe I’ll give that a shot!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Thanks for the info!! Had read some articles on using premium. Always put 87 in my other EcoBoost but maybe I’ll give that a shot!
I thought the HO required premium.

I forget the exact increase in hp and torque but torque is where you will feel it on take off. If the non-HO has 470 ft lbs and the HO has 510 ft lbs, that is less than a 10% increase. Hard to feel 10% more power.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
Info that just came out looks like the "standard" 3.5 Eco may be putting out 400HP and 500TQ..

https://starspost.com/2021-ford-f-150-sets-tow-rating-record-at-14000-pounds/

"The F-150 can hit that mark when equipped with its updated 3.5-liter turbocharged V6, which now puts out 400 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque. The model is also capable of hauling a 3,325-pound payload.

Ford’s new PowerBoost hybrid powertrain that combines the same engine with an electric motor between it and the F-150’s 10-speed automatic transmission has been certified at 430 hp and 570 lb-ft of torque and maximum towing of 12,700 pounds."
Sponsored