3.5 Power-boost vs Reg 3.5EB

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
For those that have driven and purchased the 2021, did you drive both engines back to back and why did you pick either engine? Im not sure what engine I want when it comes the time-------Reg 3.5 or 3.5power-boost?
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Do YOU want to own a hybrid or not? That is the question. Same engine....

LIVRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, escape
Occupation
Engineer
I think there is a difference of not having turbo lag for the powerboost

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
I just picked up my 3.5 Ecoboost on Thursday. I have not experienced any noticeable turbo lag. Granted I have not really punched it yet, but I am very happy.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
There's virtually no turbo lag with those dinky turbos. Had one in 2016.

Sponsored

bgoz98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 4x4 Lariat 502A, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Local dealer had a Platinum Powerboost in stock so took it for a drive this afternoon. Coming from a 2015 and then 2018 Lariats both with the 3.5 EB, I wasn't sure what to expect with the PB. I have to say I absolutely loved it and will be going with the PB on my next truck when my lease is up later this year. I do notice a small amount of turbo lag on my 3.5 EB (not a big deal by any stretch, but it is noticeable). As some have mentioned, it is completely gone with the PB. I did mixed driving between highway and city. After I had gotten used to driving for efficiency, I reset the MPG tracker. After resetting about a quarter into my drive, I ended up averaging 22.9 MPG on mixed driving (would guess 25% highway and 75% city, mostly flat, but some hills, very little wind) without really having to baby it too much. On flat roadways, it would stay on electric up to around 38 mph before switching to hybrid/gas if your acceleration was smooth. Accelerating to highway speeds was a blast (no pun intended) and felt like you were floating. Will definitely have to set the cruise to avoid the red and blue flashing lights. Switching between electric/hybrid/gas engine modes was barely noticeable, if at all (especially with the radio on).

Side note: Transmission was so much smoother than my 2018 with the 10 speed. All the jerking and gear hunting seemed to be eliminated. Not sure if this is related to the PB or just the 21's in general since I haven't driven another 21.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
3.5EB here and I don't experience any turbo lag. I know I always felt turbo lag/spool-up in my 2001 NIssan 300zx TT.

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
I went with 3.5 ecoboost, no lag here. Power boost looks very cool, but the payload is a joke and i hate to buy new technology the first year it comes out. Might try a power boost in 5 years when they got the bugs worked out.

Reactions: J-C

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
I went with 3.5 ecoboost, no lag here. Power boost looks very cool, but the payload is a joke and i hate to buy new technology the first year it comes out. Might try a power boost in 5 years when they got the bugs worked out.
Ha..... You MIGHT not have the choice.

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Ha..... You MIGHT not have the choice.
Ya, all electric in a few years, a tough task when you want to tow something, I think I will give them a few years before I buy that one too. a investment in battery manufacturing, or nickle would be a good idea.
Sponsored

Reactions: J-C