First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 F250 Turbo Diesel,2021 F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
There might be another tread, but I haven't seen it so far. Has the 2021 3.5 ECO or the 5.0 motors resolve the "blow by oil" or PVC valve, by using the after market oil separator. Would you use one to prevent the oil from caking on the back side of the intake valve? Or did Ford resolve the issue in the newer motors? Do we need this oil separator for our new 2021 motors? Just wondering if it's not a bad thing to install?
check out video
Sponsored

OP
OP

Roger1108

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 F250 Turbo Diesel,2021 F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
What does this have to do with the Powerboost?
Correct me if I am wrong, the 3.5 powerboost is the ( edited >almost) same motor as a 3.5 ECO boost, but with the aid of the Hybrid motor builded in the tranny. Basically (edit> almost) same motor to my mind?

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I’m not going to swear to it, but I believe Ford changed the weight of the oil from 5-20 to 5-30 for the ‘21 trucks.

I think 5-30 was the standard for the Supercharged Coyote, and I’m not convinced those engines had a consumption issue.

heavier oil would be less likely to vaporize and get sucked out of the crankcase and gum up the top end.

that opinion being expressed, I don’t really see a downside to to installing one, if for nothing else, a bit of insurance.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The Powerboost is similar to the 3.5 EB, but not an exact drop in. Accessories on it are different to support the hybrid system, and the tuning is also likely different (slightly) because of the hybrid system as well.

Sponsored

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered
Long story short -If you are concerned about the oil being deposited back on to the valves, it's still a valid concern. Technically, now that these engines are direct AND Port injection , any oil residue that finds itself on the intake valves theoretically will get washed off. The direct injection -was direct into the cyl -so that there was no fuel in the air mixture being introduced through the port, causing the unlimited build up. That being said, the situation has improved with the direct and port but there still is a good amount of oil prevented from returning through the intake with a catch can that is better off not going to there.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Ford only recommended 5-20W in the 3.5 Ecoboost for the first year it was introduced. (2011) They suddenly, and without explaining honestly the real reason, changed the specification to 5-30W.

Let's just say that after releasing it into the wild, in numbers that the best selling vehicle in America represents, it became clear that maybe the price for worshipping at the alter of the fuel efficiency gods was going to be too high and the recommendation was changed.

I'd love to have been in the meetings that led up to it. I'm guessing there was some engineers in there with an "I told you so" smirk on their faces.

Our 2021 Powerboost has exactly the same oil recommendation as all 3.5 Ecoboost since that correction.
Sponsored