3.0 Reliability in Question

DuckDog

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I just had a conversation with a local sales representative who told me that due to “issues” with the 3.0, Ford and this particular dealership quit selling. I just ordered a PB yesterday, but am having a bit of “buyers remorse”, re-thinking on whether I should locate a 3.0 on a lot and dump the PB order.

Is it the opinion of this consortium that the 3.0 lends itself to reliability issues or spends an inordinate amount of the time in the shop? *I ask this knowing where I’m posing the question - obviously looking for candid thoughts.
Sponsored

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
I just had a conversation with a local sales representative who told me that due to “issues” with the 3.0, Ford and this particular dealership quit selling. I just ordered a PB yesterday, but am having a bit of “buyers remorse”, re-thinking on whether I should locate a 3.0 on a lot and dump the PB order.

Is it the opinion of this consortium that the 3.0 lends itself to reliability issues or spends an inordinate amount of the time in the shop? *I ask this knowing where I’m posing the question - obviously looking for candid thoughts.
I was under the impression that they stopped offering it because so few of them were sold? Issues could mean any number of things.

OP
OP
DuckDog

DuckDog

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was under the impression that they stopped offering it because so few of them were sold? Issues could mean any number of things.
By issues, he was referring to reliability - in other words they are always breaking down. He told me his manager won’t sell me one - even on a dealer trade - because of their past experience with the engines. He said if I decide to buy from another dealer, let them know and they’ll cancel my PB order and refund my deposit.

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
By issues, he was referring to reliability - in other words they are always breaking down. He told me his manager won’t sell me one - even on a dealer trade - because of their past experience with the engines. He said if I decide to buy from another dealer, let them know and they’ll cancel my PB order and refund my deposit.
Iv seen posts on here that people tried to order the 3.0 and were told it was no longer available as an option and this was a couple months back. Im not sure what to believe lol.
Ford F-150 3.0 Reliability in Question giphy

OP
OP
DuckDog

DuckDog

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iv seen posts on here that people tried to order the 3.0 and were told it was no longer available as an option and this was a couple months back. Im not sure what to believe lol.
giphy.gif
That’s correct; you cannot order a F150 PS.

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Right - the 3.0 is prone to issues - such as: the North America dealers can't get 'em.

The 3.0 sells very well in Europe, and AFAIK is very reliable.

I have a 3.0 diesel in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was made by Daimler, and it's a very powerful little engine.

For my F-150, I selected the Powerboost over the diesel (to appease my wife, mostly) and I don't regret it. The Powerboost has a very "diesel-like" feel when driving it, and it's quieter. I got the 7.2 ProPower option - I hope you requested it as well

OP
OP
DuckDog

DuckDog

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Right - the 3.0 is prone to issues - such as: the North America dealers can't get 'em.

The 3.0 sells very well in Europe, and AFAIK is very reliable.

I have a 3.0 diesel in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was made by Daimler, and it's a very powerful little engine.

For my F-150, I selected the Powerboost over the diesel (to appease my wife, mostly) and I don't regret it. The Powerboost has a very "diesel-like" feel when driving it, and it's quieter. I got the 7.2 ProPower option - I hope you requested it as well
@Tosh - Thanks for the response. I have been dealing with this dealership for some time and thought it was wild they wouldn’t put me in a 3.0. I’ll stay the course with my Platinum PB (yes, the 7.2 ProPower). Great help!!

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation

So, this makes little sense. The 3.0 is a Diesel engine that ford quit offering as an option this summer. They are sold out and good luck to you or your dealer finding one for sale even if they wanted to. I spent weeks trying to locate one for sale in August with no luck before ordering a PB. I have not heard of any unusual maint issues with the motor and it was probably dropped due to Covid supply issues and low sales. I would RUN from this dealer if they told me "they" quit selling it. Sound like a salesman who doesn't know his product and pulled some BS out of his ass to make any sale he could.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
There's 4 when I search 300 miles. They are all XL models.

Ford F-150 3.0 Reliability in Question 1638398166859

Billy231

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerstroke
Occupation
Retired
They are out there. Scarce in any trim offering in XLT or higher. Although, it wasnt an easy task with Ford.com only offering a 100 mile radius search from any zip code.
I found 5 trucks nationwide that were available and only 1 dealer that wasnt upcharging the MSRP price, so I settled on a Lariat with 0%-72 months. I am happy with it so far.

Sponsored

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
So they put in the ranger and pushing the other engines. If you drive an hour or more continuously daily it has the best mpg and reliable well not a lot of complaints here . July 16 Ford stated that no more orders for power stroke so that dealer is full of crap

Smokewagun

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat Lightning
I have a 2019 Lariat F-150 Stroke. One of the best trucks I’ve owned. If I could order another, I’d strongly consider it. Bulletproof at 57k miles, and gets better mileage than any gas counterpart. A solid 6mpg plus, and towing it just goes without the major mpg hit. Ford had a pure crap marketing strategy on the 3.0L… purposely. They wanted the EcoBoost to shine. They drowned the 3.0L by themselves.
I have a Lightning reservation I’m ready to convert as soon as possible, but I’m not sure I can give up my 3.0L.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Sounds like a salesman who is just lying to you. I’ve owned 4 F150’s, 2 of which were 3.0 PS. It is the most reliable engine available in the 21’ F150. They have been around longer than the ecoboost (europe) and have a stellar track record. They were discontinued due popularity and EPA garbage, nothing more. Join the 3.0 PS Facebook groups. Owners are VERY happy with they choice, myself included. The 3.0 PS will far outlast a PB/EB/ coyote.

OP
OP
DuckDog

DuckDog

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds like a salesman who is just lying to you. I’ve owned 4 F150’s, 2 of which were 3.0 PS. It is the most reliable engine available in the 21’ F150. They have been around longer than the ecoboost (europe) and have a stellar track record. They were discontinued due popularity and EPA garbage, nothing more. Join the 3.0 PS Facebook groups. Owners are VERY happy with they choice, myself included. The 3.0 PS will far outlast a PB/EB/ coyote.
I agree; maybe not the salesman as much as the sales manager. I think the truth is (as previously stated here), for what I’m looking for (KR, Platinum) there are so few available on the lots currently…additionally, the dealers that have those uppper-level trim 3.0s are asking for a premium ($4k markup above sticker is not unheard of), my dealership doesn’t want to deal with the hassle.

I’m going to stick to my PB order simply due to the fact that I refuse to pay a premium for a 3.0 at this point to such a dealership who has stupid mark-ups - best of luck to them selling it to a more motivated buyer.

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
I agree; maybe not the salesman as much as the sales manager. I think the truth is (as previously stated here), for what I’m looking for (KR, Platinum) there are so few available on the lots currently…additionally, the dealers that have those uppper-level trim 3.0s are asking for a premium ($4k markup above sticker is not unheard of), my dealership doesn’t want to deal with the hassle.

I’m going to stick to my PB order simply due to the fact that I refuse to pay a premium for a 3.0 at this point to such a dealership who has stupid mark-ups - best of luck to them selling it to a more motivated buyer.
Sponsored