First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I am genuinely curious why so few people on multiple forums choose the powerstroke for their truck? It has the best fuel economy of all the engines, arguably has the potential to last the longest, and is pretty up there with respect to torque and towing numbers.

I had a 2018 Platinum Fx4 powerstroke and regret selling it everyday. Averaged 28.1-30.7 on the highway and 25.4-28.6 after level and 34" Ridge Grapplers. Not to mention never going below 20 mpg on either configuration.
Sponsored

Alan Coles

First Name
AC53
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2015 VW Touareg TDi, 2011 Lincoln MKZ, and motorcycles
Sweet looking truck. ?

My understanding is that there simply isn't much interest in North America for diesel. The same issue exists for powerboats here. It is rare to see anything under 35' with a diesel whereas in the rest of the world they're common right down to 24' boats. I think it is that desire for quick acceleration.

I have a 2015 VW Touareg that has a tow rating of 7,716 pounds and have towed a boat trailer combo of ~7,000lbs over 2,000 miles with no issue and got 14 mpg (US). It gets 30 mpg (US) not towing and works great.

Personally, I'd much prefer the diesel but am having to go to the 3.5L EB as I need the additional tow rating capacity (just bought a larger boat and it will run ~10,500lbs). :mad:

Unfortunately, Ford didn't go with the most powerful version of this 3.0L diesel when they spec'd it for the F150. In its previous iteration in the Land Rover, etc., it produced up to 302-HP and 516-TQ. Those are numbers that I really, really wish they'd used for the North American build of the 3L diesel.

I know plenty of folks will chip to those numbers, but I've not seen a tuner, other than Gale Banks, that I trust to actually provide a safe/reliable tune for heavy usage and frustratingly, Banks is so busy with the larger diesel stuff that they say they don't have plans to do a 3L Power Stroke tune.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sweet looking truck. ?

My understanding is that there simply isn't much interest in North America for diesel. The same issue exists for powerboats here. It is rare to see anything under 35' with a diesel whereas in the rest of the world they're common right down to 24' boats. I think it is that desire for quick acceleration.

I have a 2015 VW Touareg that has a tow rating of 7,716 pounds and have towed a boat trailer combo of ~7,000lbs over 2,000 miles with no issue and got 14 mpg (US). It gets 30 mpg (US) not towing and works great.

Personally, I'd much prefer the diesel but am having to go to the 3.5L EB as I need the additional tow rating capacity (just bought a larger boat and it will run ~10,500lbs). :mad:

Unfortunately, Ford didn't go with the most powerful version of this 3.0L diesel when they spec'd it for the F150. In its previous iteration in the Land Rover, etc., it produced up to 302-HP and 516-TQ. Those are numbers that I really, really wish they'd used for the North American build of the 3L diesel.

I know plenty of folks will chip to those numbers, but I've not seen a tuner, other than Gale Banks, that I trust to actually provide a safe/reliable tune for heavy usage and frustratingly, Banks is so busy with the larger diesel stuff that they say they don't have plans to do a 3L Power Stroke tune.
I didn’t know that the European version was more powerful. That’s actually quite disappointing to hear especially since they could have updated it this year. I’ve been second-guessing my power stroke option and really looking at the eco-boost again. I had a 2016 eco-boost that failed before 50,000 miles because of carbon buildup and misfiring. It kind of tainted that engine for me, but now that it has dual injection on the newer models, I’m starting to look at it again. My commute on the truck is 33 miles each way to work, which I don’t mind, which is another reason for opting for a diesel. Kind of wondering maybe if I should go for the beefed up eco-boost. That and you can probably get pro power with it

Alan Coles

First Name
AC53
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2015 VW Touareg TDi, 2011 Lincoln MKZ, and motorcycles
I didn’t know that the European version was more powerful. That’s actually quite disappointing to hear especially since they could have updated it this year. I’ve been second-guessing my power stroke option and really looking at the eco-boost again. I had a 2016 eco-boost that failed before 50,000 miles because of carbon buildup and misfiring. It kind of tainted that engine for me, but now that it has dual injection on the newer models, I’m starting to look at it again. My commute on the truck is 33 miles each way to work, which I don’t mind, which is another reason for opting for a diesel. Kind of wondering maybe if I should go for the beefed up eco-boost. That and you can probably get pro power with it
Yes, you can get the Pro Power 2KW option on the 3.5L but not the 3L diesel. Also, it can't be had with the "Rear Underseat Storage" option as it takes up half that space.

There are several iterations of the Euro engine that make less HP/TQ than the Power Stroke, but one or two that make more. I too wish that was our power ratings as I'd be all over the diesel then. As it is, I'm still working on spec'ing out my 2021 with the dealer and have waffled back towards the diesel today and asked them to price out payments on a Lariat Sport SC 4x4 long bed (longer wheelbase = better stability towing heavy loads) in Carbonized Grey. I'm really trying to go the diesel route as I enjoy my Touareg every time I drive it, especially in Sport mode.

Sponsored

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
I want a diesel in the worse way.

Big issue # 1 is that the new 2021 3.0 has a mile long timing BELT. Its recommended that it be replaced at 150,000 miles. I dont even want to know what that is going to cost and I could likely do the job myself but what a pain in the a$$. I am not positive that I have ever had a gas powered V8 F150 with a timing belt.

My 2004 5.4 went 240,000 when I traded in on the same chain? My 1987 5.0 went 180,000 when I traded in on the same chain.

Issue # 2 is that you cannot get the 36 gallon fuel tank with a diesel. When hauling and getting MPH in the mid teens 26 gallons of fuel is going to go fast.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The timing belt is a non issue according to Ford as their trucks requires very very little effort to lift the cabin from the frame to access the engine. I had the same concern when I bought my 18’ 3.0.
As for the fuel tank, you can get a Titan 41 gallon tank. Takes less than an hour to install in some cases and it’s up on YouTube!
Sponsored