First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Law suits are often a joke. Mpg isn't a reliability issue. And initially it was an intercooler issue that got everyone all wound up early on, not the engine.. With so few F150 diesels sold (only about 50,000 total in 19 and 20) you don't have many out there to get a large reliability numbers. Only a couple hundred diesel owner issues might have a higher percentage than with the 100's of thousands of Ecoboost engines out there. I don't think you'd have bought an Ecoboost if they were unreliable. Apparently you did based on your vehicle.
"Working men" would include semi drivers in your definition, I think. Look at any truck stop diesel islands. You'll see a majority of the professional drivers hop out of their trucks, open their tool box, grab gloves and start pumping diesel. They aren't trying to keep their manicures all pretty. ;) It's because they don't want to smell it after they get done pumping.

All I'm doing is bringing up things that someone that has never owned a diesel will contend with. I'm not commenting on their dependability because I haven't owned a baby diesel.

I never once said the Ecoboost is better or not. All I said with my way over a million miles of diesel driving you deal with unique ownership things that a gas driver hasn't dealt with or experienced.
The Ecoboost does have reliability issues. I bought one, and am actually selling mine 5k miles in because it’s not that good of an engine. I’m sure lawsuits are jokes and are just laughing matters ? the 3.0 diesel actually has been around much longer than that, if you actually knew much about it.

Speaking is semi drivers, more than half my family is in the business, both parents included. Gloves only come out when it’s freezing outside, not to handle a diesel pump because they fear some smell on their hands. Anyone buying a 3.0 diesel for a daily driver won’t have to content with that because most people with semis don’t, as I’ve seen first hand. If you prefer gloves, go for it. But it’s 100% a non issue for anyone wanting to own a diesel.
Sponsored

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
Ford has been sued over Ecoboost reliability and MPG multiple times. 3.0 hasn’t. And most working men don’t care about what their hands smell like or look like, that’s why I’ve never heard that complaint. Don’t buy a diesel and keep your hands clean then. Your preference doesn’t change the fact that the EB isn’t the better engine ?
Let me see, a neonatal respiratory therapist who doesn’t care what his hands smell like? My wife is a neonatal ICU she certainly does! As for EB I have 110,000 zero issue miles. Change the oil and don’t drive like you are timing 0-60 mph between stop lights.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Let me see, a neonatal respiratory therapist who doesn’t care what his hands smell like? My wife is a neonatal ICU she certainly does! As for EB I have 110,000 zero issue miles. Change the oil and don’t drive like you are timing 0-60 mph between stop lights.
A woman who cares what her hands smell like? Shocker!! ?? no, I do not care. And even a broken clock is right twice a day. 12 years and multiple revisions later, Ford still can’t make an EB that can simply idle without shaking the whole truck ??

TRSCobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I daily drove a 3.0 diesel F150 for 18 months and absolutely loved it. 25-29mpg on average, got over 18mpg towing my race car, quiet and smooth. Til one day on the way to work I got a reduced power message and had to limp on the side of the freeway at 45mph, eventually getting towed to the dealer.

That was in January and the last time I ever drove the truck. Turns out I got contaminated fuel and was faced with a $11k repair bill to replace the entire fuel system. Last tank was from a 76 station that I had used a few times in the past without issue. Luckily insurance covered the repair after sending the fuel to a lab and it coming back with 500ppm water. The equivalent of a shot glass worth in a 26 gallon tank...

I had every intention to keep the truck but parts kept getting delayed and I couldn't go borrowing vehicles and without a truck any longer. After 3 months of waiting I just traded the truck in and got a '21 3.5 ecoboost. I don't like this truck nearly as much as the old one but I never want to have to worry about the diesel roulette game again and months waiting on parts.

I was very selective on which station to fuel up from, changed fuel filters at 15k miles, and still ended up having an issue at only 27k miles. Meanwhile I've put year old gas, gone to sketchy stations, etc in gasoline cars and never once had a problem in my entire life.

If you decide on the diesel I wish you the best of luck. My case is certainly not typical, but I feel I had to share what the worst case scenario could be.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
@TRSCobra

my next door neighbor just had a similar incident with not not his truck (older powerstroke) but virtually killed his big Case backhoe and his bobcat.
Truck and backhoe filled at station and the bobcat was filled with the same fuel n containers on site.
Pretty hefty bill to get them all going again

Sponsored

OP
OP

r.ellison2010

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 FX4
I'm looking to upgrade my 2012 F150 with 5.0 motor. I want my next truck to have more bottom end power and not have to rev it to the moon to get the power. I've never owned a diesel, driven them a few times but would this be good option for a daily commuter?
After doing more research on the small diesel it sounds like the GM product is a much better product.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I've read some impressive numbers for the Duramax 3.0, but it's a TOTALLY new engine and has no track record. The Powerstroke 3.0 has been in production for 3 years in it's present form.

I can't speak from first-hand experience with these engines; I've only owned VW or Mercedes diesels, but If I needed to choose between the Big 3's 3.0 diesel's, I'd lean towards Ford

Power Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Farmer
FORD 250/440 vs GM 277/460 and from reports better mileage too but has issue w rear access oil bathed belt that need replacement at 150k miles. Generally gm diesel option equal cost to 6.2L, whereas Ford is more than premium gas option. At least in Canada.
Sponsored