3.0 Diesel Returning to 2023 F150?

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Gimme that 3.0 diesel PowerBoost and 36 gallon tank :p.
Some engineer at Ford would throw a fit at that combo.
A diesel powerboost, not only do you get the complexity of the powerboost, but the giant PITA that is a diesel emission system.
Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
A diesel powerboost, not only do you get the complexity of the powerboost, but the giant PITA that is a diesel emission system.
I would LOVE a diesel PowerBoostStroke, but I agree that it would max out the potential problems. However, when you start to look at the issues, most of them are in common with all ICE vehicles. The appeal of traction motors is an extremely broad powerband in terms of torque and efficiency, as well as the extreme simplicity that comes from a wheel motor arrangement. A compression ignition ICE generator running on gasoline gets the benefit of hydrocarbon fuel energy density, but without the requirement for transmission, drive shafts, transfer case, CV shafts torque converter and/or clutch for the hybrid motor et c.

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
DELETED

I just realized that I posted the same exact thing on the same thread about a month later. At least give me points for persistence.

Last edited:

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
A hybrid diesel would be a tough call on long term reliability based on typical duty cycle of a typical half ton. Diesels don't like a whole lot of start/stop cycles that a hybrid motor would tax the engine to do, and particularly with the way SCR/DPF systems work and their need for longer runs to complete soot burn cycles, I think the concept sounds better in theory than it would in practice.

Unfortunately the 3.0L didn't take off and I'd say pigs will fly before it'll make a comeback. Shame because it's a great engine option that was a complete marketing and price point f**k up. The Powerboost is proving to have the same Achilles heel that the 3.5L Ecoboost has had for 13 years. Inconsistent mileage unloaded and straight up shitty mileage while towing. I have owned a number of diesels including a 6.7L, multiple VW diesels and the 3.0L Powerstroke and I have also owned a ton of 3.5 Ecoboosts. When I tow 7,000lb+, I might get 7-8mpg out of the 3.5 Ecoboost on a good day, and then a little breeze gets thrown into the mix and that number drops to 6mpg. That's absolutely dismal.

The 3.0L WILL consistently return 12-13mpg towing the same load, as will the 6.7L, time and time again. I have proven it over, and over and over. There is no 3.5L towing significant weight that is seeing double digit mileage in the real world unless conditions are in total favour.

GM has done well with the LM2 Duramax diesel because they found the right place for it in the lineup. give customers the choice between big power out of the 6.2, or efficiency out of the diesel for the same cost to upgrade vs the base gas engines. Ford's marketing was a 3.5 gas engine with big power and big mileage on paper, or $4,000 more for less power and not that much better mileage. When you're marketing two engine platforms to be economical, it suddenly becomes very confusing as to why you'd spend that much more on the diesel to do the same thing as the gas does. I can see how the average consumer would make the diesel an outcast by looking at the numbers, but if you've owned both you are very well aware of the difference in the real world.

Tang

First Name
David Pollitt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford f150 XLT 3.0 diesel
Occupation
Retired
Just me but I love my 2021 F150 with the 3.0 diesel, I never would have stopped producing the truck with Diesel engine but Ford bottom line, show me the money. I don't know how many people driving a F150 stop me and see the POWERSTROKE om front doors, they all tell me they never knew you could get diesel in F150. I never saw a Ford commercial promoting the 3.0, come on Marketing Dept.

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
I agree, that Ford never let the public know that they offered a diesel in the F150. Like I have said before in this Forum and others that Ford made a big mistake not letting people know there was a diesel for the F150. I knew about the 3.0 diesel ,and I for one couldn't be happier with my.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Where is the powerboost. Think this is old with new heading. But I could be wrong.
That’s the same as I was thinking. Lol. The powerboost is king of the hill power wise for f150 I think.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
That’s the same as I was thinking. Lol. The powerboost is king of the hill power wise for f150 I think.
Yea, my 2003 F350 had ~250HP and 550 Ftlbs torque. I loved that truck!

But my have things changed. My Powerboost has far more HP & even more torque. CrAzY

We are so jaded

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
I'm convinced that there are pretty much zero vehicles left on the new market that are underpowered. Everything out there has adequate power, the diesel was no exception. It wasn't a hot rod but it had more than enough jam to get out of it's own way and serve any half ton truck needs. It was built for a specific purpose and marketed poorly. I can name off a handful of folks I know that aren't overly thrilled with the Powerboost, but I don't know of a single person with the Powerstroke that doesn't love it.

A little over a decade ago the most powerful engine in an F-150 was a V8 with 300hp and nobody really called it gutless until all the Ecoboost platforms came out. I agree, we are jaded.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Good points on the diesel DPF/SCR duty cycle. To me, those are even more points in favor of a gasoline compression ignition engine.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I’m not so sure it was the take rate being all of it but likely some, the 3.3L has an extremely low take rate but it’s kept around. I always thought Ford should just have the 2.7, 5.0, and 3.5. The 3.3 really has no huge benefit or following. The 2.7 is an efficient motor with a lot of fans. The V8 is an American icon and Fords is very advanced, and the 3.5 has created a huge following with its torque. The loss of any of Fords “big three” motors would likely lose a lot of sales…but cutting the 3.3 or the little diesel don’t hurt much.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I’m not so sure it was the take rate being all of it but likely some, the 3.3L has an extremely low take rate but it’s kept around. I always thought Ford should just have the 2.7, 5.0, and 3.5. The 3.3 really has no huge benefit or following. The 2.7 is an efficient motor with a lot of fans. The V8 is an American icon and Fords is very advanced, and the 3.5 has created a huge following with its torque. The loss of any of Fords “big three” motors would likely lose a lot of sales…but cutting the 3.3 or the little diesel don’t hurt much.
I mean the 3.3 is in every fleet vehicle out there plus all the people who prioritize reliability above all else. I would love to see numbers, but I'd bet the 3.3 is in 3rd place behind the 3.5 and 2.7.

I've never even seen a 3.0 deez I don't think. If Ford made a big deal out of it and designated it as a complete trim package with a ridiculous payload and tough manual hubs or other more super duty-esque features, things would be different. Ford should have made this model the "super duty light".

The modern emissions systems and the fact that this 3.0 was adapted from (iirc) some Land Rover (could be wrong) made it unattractive to me at least. It certainly isn't as cool as the 7.3. If there was a scaled down 7.3, that would've been more exciting. Moreover, the actual 3.0 performance isn't drastically different on paper than all the other options which never leave anyone wanting for performance.

I wanted it to work, but I really want a 7.3 96 F250 deep down just like everyone else.
Sponsored