First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
the 3.0 Powerstroke is an amazing engine. They are far more reliable too than the eco boost/ powerboost offering. The 3.0 diesel can tow just as much too and get better real world mileage. Powerboost definitely is faster and has pro power but I think that’s where the advantages end. The engine was dropped due to popularity and tightening emissions standards. There is definitely a demand for them, ford just chose not to advertise them and the advantages they carry.
Last one I seen at my dealership needed a long block replacement at very low miles and it wasn’t the only one I’ve seen
Sponsored

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Last one I seen at my dealership needed a long block replacement at very low miles and it wasn’t the only one I’ve seen
There is very little chatter of engine failure on the other diesel forums with the baby Powerstroke so it seems to be a reliable engine and has been used for a long time overseas so the major kinks should have been ironed out with its introduction to the US market other than the EGR recall in the beginning. The engine failures that have shown up might be due to installing the oil filter wrong and damaging the anti-siphon valve in the housing or having the engine filled with the wrong oil.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
There is very little chatter of engine failure on the other diesel forums with the baby Powerstroke so it seems to be a reliable engine and has been used for a long time overseas so the major kinks should have been ironed out with its introduction to the US market other than the EGR recall in the beginning. The engine failures that have shown up might be due to installing the oil filter wrong and damaging the anti-siphon valve in the housing or having the engine filled with the wrong oil.
Yeah, I was gonna say the same. Even so, it’s still more reliable than the EB. I’ve had 2 EBs and they were riddled with issues. This forum has no shortage of powerboost owners who regret getting theirs for the same reason.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Two month ago when I was shopping for a used pickup there was a Ram eco diesel that was being sold for about $10,000 less than the same truck with any of the gas engines. The salesperson said there was no interest in the small diesel engines.

Unless one is towing more than 10,000 lbs a diesel V-8 is overkill and the smaller diesel engines provide no gain in power over a gas engine and still have all the cost of ownership issues. I had a V-8 diesel for 7 years and it was the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Also the most expensive in terms of scheduled maintenace and repairs.

The diesel is a great way for the manufacturers to get better CAFE numbers and let their customers cover the added costs of maintenance and operation.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
My neighbor growing up owned a diesel parts business and was adamant that you shouldn't own a diesel unless you're using it to earn money. His point was that fuel costs can be high, maintenance costs are high, and lack of maintenance costs are astronomical. Bearing those costs with a vehicle that isn't pulling hard to generate income greater than those costs becomes unattractive quickly for all but the very wealthy and very committed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
Gas engines in trucks are fine if that is what you perfer ,and a diesel engine in a truck is not for everyone. I owned some Chevy trucks with diesel engines ,and Ford trucks with the 7.3, 6.4 , and the 6.7 PowerStroke diesel engines. I bought the trucks with a diesel, because I wanted something that could pull what I need it to do. There is maintenance in what ever you drive gas or diesel and most of the time a diesel will out last any gas engine. However if really want to pull heavy loads and you're looking for Longevity. Then the diesel is the way to go and a gas and even the EV can't hold that.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
^ won't argue with that!

But the diesel offerings in 1/2 ton trucks fall pretty short of the mission described. They don't pull "heavy loads" because both the truck itself and the diesel offered aren't qualified?

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
In some ways you're right, but then you need to know what are going to be your needs now and maybe the future. In my case I went from 2012 F450, 6.7 diesel and a 430 rear-end to a F150 with 3.0 diesel with a 3.55 rear-end. I knew that I was going to pull any greater then what this truck could do. My heavy hauler now is a 2007 Frightliner M2 with a C9 Cat engine.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't get me wrong. I'd love a 1/2 ton diesel if some manufacturer was willing to break whatever the unwritten rules are that they all seem to have agreed to. :)

For example, if Ford allowed the HDPP chassis to be used with a modern diesel that supplied ~500ftlbs, a Payload of 2000lbs, and a nicely equipped XLT 302A trim level at least. (I could add Katzkinz to dress it up)

Considering that my brothers 2018 HDPP XLT 3.5 Ecoboost has everything and more than I just described, it's just amazing that no manufacturer will fill that niche with an oil burner.

Here's his Payload, although it's 2WD

Ford F-150 3.0 Diesel Returning to 2023 F150? maxpay1

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Don't get me wrong. I'd love a 1/2 ton diesel if some manufacturer was willing to break whatever the unwritten rules are that they all seem to have agreed to. :)

For example, if Ford allowed the HDPP chassis to be used with a modern diesel that supplied ~500ftlbs, a Payload of 2000lbs, and a nicely equipped XLT 302A trim level at least. (I could add Katzkinz to dress it up)

Considering that my brothers 2018 HDPP XLT 3.5 Ecoboost has everything and more than I just described, it's just amazing that no manufacturer will fill that niche with an oil burner.

Here's his Payload, although it's 2WD
I suspect that the diesel F150, like the PB, already is using the HD frame.

If such is the case, it's got an artificially gimped GVWR sticker just like the PB.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If that's true, it would imply my current Powerboost weighs 1 thousand 300 pounds more than my brothers truck?

I can easily account for about 800lbs of it. Admittedly. (250 for 4WD and 550 for Hybrid hardware) That leaves 500lbs for fancier seats and tailgate?

Doesn't quite add up, but Ford did come up with an extra 300lbs of GVW for the Powerboost compared to an almost identical truck without the Hybrid gear. So they certainly grabbed something from the HDPP bin?

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I suspect that the diesel F150, like the PB, already is using the HD frame.

If such is the case, it's got an artificially gimped GVWR sticker just like the PB.
Do you mean the HPP (HDPP) frame, or the HD frame? If you meant HPP, was that determined by just measuring the frame thickness (for PB)?

Ford F-150 3.0 Diesel Returning to 2023 F150? 1664819761623

If you were referencing the thicker frame, then yeah, a PB with Max Tow (required option on HDPP to get the HD axle) should be a 7850 GVWR, like it would be if you ordered a 3.5EB HDPP. That would be some real sticker de-tuning.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you mean the HPP (HDPP) frame, or the HD frame? If you meant HPP, was that determined by just measuring the frame thickness (for PB)?
If you were referencing the thicker frame, then yeah, a PB with Max Tow (required option on HDPP to get the HD axle) should be a 7850 GVWR, like it would be if you ordered a 3.5EB HDPP. That would be some real sticker de-tuning.
The powerboost's frame is unique to it.

Per ford's measuring 'max' dimensions of the PB's frame is..
.11x" thick (steel thickness, measured 3 different spots from just behind front axle, mid between F and R doors, and behind rear axle -- all at .112 - .115 thickness (coating thickness = .00106 x 2 =.0021 yielding .11" thick steel frame)
9" tall
and 4.4" thick (yes, verified several times / points)

Its frame is unique to it, superior to all but the raptor's frame in-fact.

Also, the 'base' rear axle is rated at 4150lbs, limited by the springs of course.

My frame's sticker
Ford F-150 3.0 Diesel Returning to 2023 F150? 1664826276277

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I went ahead and used my coating thickness gauge to make sure there wasn't some oddball thick coating -- nope

Frame thickness
Ford F-150 3.0 Diesel Returning to 2023 F150? 1664827370433

Coating thickness (.00106")
Ford F-150 3.0 Diesel Returning to 2023 F150? 1664827429850

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Gas engines in trucks are fine if that is what you perfer ,and a diesel engine in a truck is not for everyone. I owned some Chevy trucks with diesel engines ,and Ford trucks with the 7.3, 6.4 , and the 6.7 PowerStroke diesel engines. I bought the trucks with a diesel, because I wanted something that could pull what I need it to do. There is maintenance in what ever you drive gas or diesel and most of the time a diesel will out last any gas engine. However if really want to pull heavy loads and you're looking for Longevity. Then the diesel is the way to go and a gas and even the EV can't hold that.
I agree, with the caveat that a gas engine will outlast a similarly maintained diesel engine several times over. I.e. if you push oil changes out to 7500 miles or leave the engine alone for 6 months without running it, the gasoline vehicle will tolerate the abuse but the diesel will fall apart. I think that's the spirit of what he was saying: most people aren't willing to spend the time and energy needed to adequately maintain a diesel unless it is their livelihood (and a lot of those folks also fail to do so). A properly maintained diesel should last for >700k miles, but if you fail to perform injector maintenance it will destroy its pistons, rings and cylinder liners rapidly.
Sponsored