3.0 Diesel Returning to 2023 F150?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
They could have easily addressed the Payload shortcoming that the diesel was gimped with. Afterall, they magically find an extra 300lbs of GVW with the Powerboost in order for it to not be crippled as much as it otherwise would have been.

Ford as a manufacturer, and as much as the F150 means to them, still protect their products from cannibalizing each other. Or so it appears to the consumer.

The Payload of an F150 could be anything within reason that Ford wants it to be. They have reasons to keep us so close to ~1500ish as much as they can.
Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I had a V-8 diesel and it was great when towing a 13,000 lb boat trailer load and it was great for accelerating on freeway onramps with 4,000 lbs in the bed. But it cost me twice as much to maintain and operate as a truck with a gas engine. It was also far less reliable than any gas powered vehicle I have owned.

The diesel engines are great for the manufacturers as it bumps up their CAFE numbers. The low resale value of the Class 1500 diesel pickups should be a clue.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Nails are in the coffin now that the order guide is out.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Diesel Powerboost is what I wanna hear… forget the full electrification talk already! 🤣
As much as that seems to be the right configuration, in reality it is not. Diesels like to idle, but don’t like ON/OFF cycling. Modern diesels don’t like extended idling due to the need to self-clean the Exhaust emissions system.

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
As much as that seems to be the right configuration, in reality it is not. Diesels like to idle, but don’t like ON/OFF cycling. Modern diesels don’t like extended idling due to the need to self-clean the Exhaust emissions system.
Seems like yet another problem we might be able to solve with technology.
So that order guide came out? No diesel? Haven't seen it.

Ford F-150 3.0 Diesel Returning to 2023 F150? 1658719327826

Hello, neighbor.

Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The diesel engines have been installed in pickups with the DEF fluid injection for the past 11 years and they still are nowhere near as reliable overall as the gas engines. When unleaded gas and catalytic converters with O2 sensors first appeared in the engines in the mid 1970's they had teething problems as well but after 40 years of development and engineering it is not a problem.

It starts with how very dirty diesel is as a fuel. Diesel in the USA (much worse in Europe) has so many particles that even with the claimed 98.7% filtration still results in 240,000 particles hitting the fuel injector solenoids at very high pressure. This is why 25% of a gallon of diesel motor oil consists of additives to deal with diesel fuel that always ends up in the crankcase as well as soot.

Diesel fuel filters also have to remove water from the fuel as well as all the particles. When a diesel fuel filter is brand new it is least effective at removing partricles from the fuel (loading needs to take place for maximum filtration).

DennisG

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Well I hoped this was true as Ford is still selling diesel 2022 F150s in the overseas market, (that's if one can believe the various videos from Ford dealers from places like the Philippines.) , but if the posted 2023 f150 ordering guides are correct, there is no return of the 3.0 Powerstroke. Pretty sad. given how Chevy and Ram are still going all in on their diesel 1500s, (and Chevy is reportedly updating 3.0 Duramax for 2023), My two cents, but I like diesels and a tad biased.

Outside of the various stupid computer module issues with the truck, the engine has been rock solid and great for towing (oh if you bitch at Ford long enough about the number of times the truck has been at the dealer they will offer a 45k mile premium service plan as compensation).

That said, I was hoping that if the engine was brought back it would entice the aftermarket crowd to release products for the 2021 and newer engines, like tuners.

Last edited:

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Gimme that 3.0 diesel PowerBoost and 36 gallon tank :p.
Some engineer at Ford would throw a fit at that combo.

That plus the HDPP in an XLT 302A+ trim would be an absolutely amazing vehicle. I can only assume that they don't do it because it would (deservedly) cannibalize 3/4 ton Superduty sales.

That said, diesel is a bad fuel with an amazing cycle. Diesel fuel burns like a log in your fireplace, not like gasoline vapor in air. Insane injection pressures allow for a gazillion very tiny logs with a lot of surface area to burn all at once, but it's still a gazillion tiny logs. Gasoline can vaporize, which allows for far more efficient combustion, BUT when its just deflagrating from a spark ignition source its not much better than the gazillion tiny logs in a diesel combustion chamber. HCCI (homogenous charge compression ignition) and SCCI (confusingly, SCCI stands for stratified-charge, compression-ignition, but Mazda calls their HCCI engine SCCI for spark controlled compression ignition, which isn't exactly the same thing as either) gasoline engines combine the benefits of both, but so far only Mazda is doing it at scale.

For those interested:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_flame
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premixed_flame
https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/mazda-stories/engineers/skyactiv-x/

Last edited:

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Ford and the US Government purposely prevent the Diesel engine from becoming something great in America.

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
Ford and the US Government purposely prevent the Diesel engine from becoming something great in America.

The EcoDiesel is working out pretty well for Ran/Stellantis. It's also a borrowed Euro motor.

Sponsored

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum Powerstroke
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
Got a email from my Ford dealer about the 2023 F150 and one of the engines available for 2023 will
be a 3.0 diesel. Anyone know anything about this? I never thought that Ford should discontinue the 3.0
diesel as the other two competitors still have a diesel in their half ton pickup line.
I just had a Ford Salesman (in an F150 Facebook group) confirm for me there is no EcoDiesel for 2023. He even took a screenshot of the drop down list:

Ford F-150 3.0 Diesel Returning to 2023 F150? Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 8.14.47 AM

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
So much contradictory information. For what it is worth, at the Iowa State Fair, Ford had a display of engines available for various vehicles, and this engine was listed with a cutout engine as available for 2023. They had about six Ford reps there and every one of them said it was returning to the line-up.

For what that is worth ...

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I think it’s safe to assume that the 3.0 isn’t coming back. Yeah, Ram and GM are making some money off their offerings right now, but Ford is wholly investing in electric for all their vehicles outside of the superduties. They aren’t gonna bring back an unpopular engine when they didn’t bother to advertise it in the first place.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
I think it’s safe to assume that the 3.0 isn’t coming back. Yeah, Ram and GM are making some money off their offerings right now, but Ford is wholly investing in electric for all their vehicles outside of the superduties. They aren’t gonna bring back an unpopular engine when they didn’t bother to advertise it in the first place.
My thoughts exactly. The 3.0 powerstroke has so few advantages over the 3.5 powerboost, it’s really not needed. IMO diesels don’t belong in half tons. Weather it be Ford/Ram they are constantly in for service at my ford/Chrysler dealership. Along with being slow as molasses and the increased cost of maintenance and fuel, count me OUT

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
My thoughts exactly. The 3.0 powerstroke has so few advantages over the 3.5 powerboost, it’s really not needed. IMO diesels don’t belong in half tons. Weather it be Ford/Ram they are constantly in for service at my ford/Chrysler dealership. Along with being slow as molasses and the increased cost of maintenance and fuel, count me OUT
the 3.0 Powerstroke is an amazing engine. They are far more reliable too than the eco boost/ powerboost offering. The 3.0 diesel can tow just as much too and get better real world mileage. Powerboost definitely is faster and has pro power but I think that’s where the advantages end. The engine was dropped due to popularity and tightening emissions standards. There is definitely a demand for them, ford just chose not to advertise them and the advantages they carry.
Sponsored