3.0 Diesel Returning to 2023 F150?

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I mean the 3.3 is in every fleet vehicle out there plus all the people who prioritize reliability above all else. I would love to see numbers, but I'd bet the 3.3 is in 3rd place behind the 3.5 and 2.7.

I've never even seen a 3.0 deez I don't think. If Ford made a big deal out of it and designated it as a complete trim package with a ridiculous payload and tough manual hubs or other more super duty-esque features, things would be different. Ford should have made this model the "super duty light".

The modern emissions systems and the fact that this 3.0 was adapted from (iirc) some Land Rover (could be wrong) made it unattractive to me at least. It certainly isn't as cool as the 7.3. If there was a scaled down 7.3, that would've been more exciting. Moreover, the actual 3.0 performance isn't drastically different on paper than all the other options which never leave anyone wanting for performance.

I wanted it to work, but I really want a 7.3 96 F250 deep down just like everyone else.
The 5.0 makes up roughly 25% of F-Series sales, and the EcoBoosts combined makes up 65%. That only leaves about 10% of sales for the 3.3 and 3.0 PS combined for 2021.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
60,000 F150 trucks ain't nothing to sneeze at. :)

I still have my 2012 XLT CrewCab with the fleet motor.
Bought it soley for chasing college football games when our youngest went to school. Crisscrossing the country. I was driving an F350 and wanted the softer, quieter, cheaper miles for passenger only travel.

I also have a 2017 15 passenger Transit Van with the motor. We've quickly racked up 180,000 miles on it.

Both trucks have been as reliable as anvils, other than the 6R80 leadframe.

That motor is in a lot more scenarios than you might know.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I’m not saying either are bad motors, quite the contrary they are fine pieces of equipment. The diesel has a ton of brute force in the low end and the 3.3 is a good entry motor…although I don’t se why the 2.7 can’t replace the 3.3 as entry level. At this point we know the 2.7 is pretty darn reliable. Choice is great, I would rather Ford have them all than consolidate personally, heck I would like a 6.8 V8 added too. But I was just stating why I *think* they axed the diesel.

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
If ford did what GM did with the baby d max they would have had a hit... and not taken it out of production... i love that engine ticks a lot of boxes too bad it is in a GM ...

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
I asked guys in the parts dept. a number of times at my local Ford dealership ,and where I have bought a number of trucks a question. "Do you get very many people coming into this parts dept. to buy parts for the 3.0 diesel"? They told me "NO only for filters and small stuff". At one time the same guys said "They believe that one reason Ford really never ever market the 3.0 diesel and quit selling it was because they couldn't make any money off the parts ,and the motor had little trouble". They also said that the EcoBoost engines have a had a
lots of issues. I agree the 3.0 diesel may not have the power that some people need, but for me going from a
2012 F450 with a 6.7 diesel engine to 3.0 is fine. The power torque of 3.0 is fine for me , and some other people as well. So the real question is If you need more power and torque then a Superduty is the answer. " Long live the 3.0 diesel"!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
From a parts department point of view, a motor that is in 2 million vehicles (literally) is going to get a ton of traffic compared to a niche motor.

8 Ecoboost F150's in my family fleet over the last 8 years. 6 currently.
Only one of them would the parts guy have ever sold an engine part to. (phasers)

So the impression would be very different. But it would still be statistically 12%.
12% of the family fleet has the Ecoboost held in high regard. :)

12% of 2 million?
Has forums with tons of scary threads. Not surprisingly, of course.
Sponsored