Sponsored

3.0 diesel and the PowerBoost

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
I am on my second 3.0 Powerstroke and zero problems. I wanted the new F-150 is the only reason I got rid of the previous 2019. I don't baby the engine and always keep up on maintenance and change the fuel filters every 15k or so.

So I have been away for abit some food for thought . This is non scientific So I took off the Tonneau cover for a 2 week time frame worst mpg was 20 best 23.5 . 16k 6 months later All hand calculated Big head winds with temps 30-50* F. 2 weeks later cover back on and same route speed etc 22-25. Many factor are to be included not just how hard you stomp on it. I expect the guy in a flat place with warm weather getting getting close to 30 all thing being equal . If I can average 25 for a thousand miles on a 80*f days being in hill country . Short trips 30 min or less not good for diesel owner but those long trips are good. I do expect to average 24-27 when I hit the summer .Being able to drive a gas equivalent I average 15-19 on 3.5
Sponsored

Roush Auto Detailing

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 302A XLT PowerStroke
Occupation
Manufacturing Team Lead, Professional Auto Detailer
I have put 12,XXX miles on my diesel right now and almost 1,000 of it is pulling a 6,800lb TT. Lifetime average is 23.8 mpg. The highest I got was driving from Asheville, NC to Nashville, TN and back in June to the race and got 35 mpg to TN and 33 on the return trip. Wanted to get back home haha. I get 25 around town going back and forth to work. 11 miles one way. A 20 minute drive at 4:30 am going to work and 30 minutes coming home at 4pm.

The PowerStoke lives for the highway. Cruising at 65-70 is the sweet spot sitting at 1400-1600 rpm barely touching the throttle and a only few pounds of boost. Pulling the camper, the lowest I've had was 13 mpg which was our first trip. I think I was a little uncomfortable with it being the first time pulling something that size and used too much throttle at some points. Ever since then I range from 14-16 mpg. Every trip we've gone on, we go up a steep grade coming back in to the Appalachians. Even pulling the camper, rarely does it downshift out of 10 if I'm in rolling hills. I lock out 9th and 10th in the mountains anyway. I think all F150 drivers should do that anyways. All they are for is extra overdrive gears and if you don't, the truck gets bogged down and takes a little too long to downshift which means you have to floor it to gain back the 5-7 mph you lost in those few seconds.

I used to have a '19 Ranger that I loved as well and ended up getting hit head on cresting a hill by a druggy who just stole a '99 Ranger... As unfortunate and upsetting as that was, my wife and I were already talking about a buying a TT and I am soon going to buy a mobile detailing trailer, I did some research and decided on the 3.0L. Unfortunately, the accident was on August 9th 2021 (a few weeks after Ford killed the motor... of course) I found a 'steal' on a '20 model XLT with 5K miles for $50K but was not a fan of the color nor the interior but loved the drivetrain. We got lucky and my wife found a 302A XLT up in DC that was the F150 version of my Ranger (silver, FX4, sport package) and we jumped on it. At that point there were only 11 new diesels within 500 miles! I paid to have the dealership deliver it to my house and the over 400 mile trip the truck averaged over 31 mpg brand new!!

Ford really should have advertised this motor more than they did. They put all the nails in the the 3.0L coffin themselves. I think this motor is the best option for the F150. You gotta love the knock at idle on cold mornings and the turbo spooling with the windows down! Hopefully they will come to their senses in the next few years and bring it back and just maybe I will upgrade to a Lariat or King Ranch/ F150 diesel.

I LOVE this motor. It is a true workhorse. I would not choose any other motor out there for the F150 right now. To each their own on what motor you like. I know I will always tell people that this motor is a great option for anyone. You don't have to tow with it to get the benefits.

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
Roush Auto Detailing

I totaling agree with everything that you said and I wouldn't take any other engine over the 3.0 diesel. Ford
really mess up when they discontinue the 3.0 diesel and
should have never done this. The other two big auto producer still have small diesel in their line up and there is a reason why they have them. Hopefully Ford will bring the 3.0 diesel back in the near future.

Pitago

First Name
Guadalupe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 powerboat 2022
Occupation
Government employee
Hello! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you on my end.
Fortunately for my truck whatever seal that got wet dried up but unfortunately for some truck there must be a seal that builds up corrosion and electric driving is never the same.. Right now I'm having a wet foul smell inside my truck dealership can't find anything I do have the cooling seats. I have an appointment on Nov 6, 2023. At the only Ford dealership in eagle Pass TX. Any feedback would help service department. And I will send u the vin number. TY*

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I have put 12,XXX miles on my diesel right now and almost 1,000 of it is pulling a 6,800lb TT. Lifetime average is 23.8 mpg. The highest I got was driving from Asheville, NC to Nashville, TN and back in June to the race and got 35 mpg to TN and 33 on the return trip. Wanted to get back home haha. I get 25 around town going back and forth to work. 11 miles one way. A 20 minute drive at 4:30 am going to work and 30 minutes coming home at 4pm.

The PowerStoke lives for the highway. Cruising at 65-70 is the sweet spot sitting at 1400-1600 rpm barely touching the throttle and a only few pounds of boost. Pulling the camper, the lowest I've had was 13 mpg which was our first trip. I think I was a little uncomfortable with it being the first time pulling something that size and used too much throttle at some points. Ever since then I range from 14-16 mpg. Every trip we've gone on, we go up a steep grade coming back in to the Appalachians. Even pulling the camper, rarely does it downshift out of 10 if I'm in rolling hills. I lock out 9th and 10th in the mountains anyway. I think all F150 drivers should do that anyways. All they are for is extra overdrive gears and if you don't, the truck gets bogged down and takes a little too long to downshift which means you have to floor it to gain back the 5-7 mph you lost in those few seconds.

I used to have a '19 Ranger that I loved as well and ended up getting hit head on cresting a hill by a druggy who just stole a '99 Ranger... As unfortunate and upsetting as that was, my wife and I were already talking about a buying a TT and I am soon going to buy a mobile detailing trailer, I did some research and decided on the 3.0L. Unfortunately, the accident was on August 9th 2021 (a few weeks after Ford killed the motor... of course) I found a 'steal' on a '20 model XLT with 5K miles for $50K but was not a fan of the color nor the interior but loved the drivetrain. We got lucky and my wife found a 302A XLT up in DC that was the F150 version of my Ranger (silver, FX4, sport package) and we jumped on it. At that point there were only 11 new diesels within 500 miles! I paid to have the dealership deliver it to my house and the over 400 mile trip the truck averaged over 31 mpg brand new!!

Ford really should have advertised this motor more than they did. They put all the nails in the the 3.0L coffin themselves. I think this motor is the best option for the F150. You gotta love the knock at idle on cold mornings and the turbo spooling with the windows down! Hopefully they will come to their senses in the next few years and bring it back and just maybe I will upgrade to a Lariat or King Ranch/ F150 diesel.

I LOVE this motor. It is a true workhorse. I would not choose any other motor out there for the F150 right now. To each their own on what motor you like. I know I will always tell people that this motor is a great option for anyone. You don't have to tow with it to get the benefits.
Great post and PB owners like me can learn from how you drive your PowerStroke. I think part of the high temp problem is we keep our foot in the gas long after we should have backed off and let the torque do its thing. We keep reaching for HP that won’t help much anyway.

*Correction. It helps too well resulting in a huge heat load.

Last edited:

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum Powerstroke
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
How are y’all getting decent MPG on 3.0 PS? I am not exactly light foot on the gas but I don’t floor it either. I didn’t buy my truck solely for the MPG but it is one of the reasons as I travel often on the highway to work & home.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
One day the battery in the Powerboost will need to be replace and it's not cheap! If the ecoboost gas engine doesn't break first.
Nothing is cheap and those are hypothetical wishes on your part. What is all too true is that your little diesel can't get get good enough mpg to overcome the fuel/DEF price difference. The PowerBoost is far superior. Quiet. Powerful. Heck, it even idles better than a diesel and it can power your RV when you get there.

Roush Auto Detailing

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 302A XLT PowerStroke
Occupation
Manufacturing Team Lead, Professional Auto Detailer
How are y’all getting decent MPG on 3.0 PS? I am not exactly light foot on the gas but I don’t floor it either. I didn’t buy my truck solely for the MPG but it is one of the reasons as I travel often on the highway to work & home.
You have to stay out of boost as much as possible. This goes for any turbo motor. I honestly hardly use cruise control. It doesn’t apply the throttle quick enough. I often lose 3-4 mph until it finally kicks in and down shifts and sucks fuel. When I anticipate hills (up or down) I save so much fuel. Give that a try on your next road trip! It takes some practice and your ankle will get sore!

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
You have to stay out of boost as much as possible. This goes for any turbo motor. I honestly hardly use cruise control. It doesn’t apply the throttle quick enough. I often lose 3-4 mph until it finally kicks in and down shifts and sucks fuel. When I anticipate hills (up or down) I save so much fuel. Give that a try on your next road trip! It takes some practice and your ankle will get sore!
Ford just replaced a defective DPF on mine and it went from 23 mpg to 27 mpg now and I am always hard on the throttle because driving conservatively is boring.
Sponsored