First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I was driving around a bit yesterday, and got 17.5 MPG at 75 MPH with AC on headed into the wind (don't know speed, but the windmills were MOVING). Got 25.5 going 65 while drafting. I got 25 on the way back (the turbines had slowed down, so the tail wind probably wasn't as stout as the headwind) with no drafting, AC on and 65 MPH.

Engine was in ECO mode the whole time, and at slowdowns for small towns I accelerated just fast enough to avoid enraging rednecks in giant diesels.
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
really!?? Wow that’s great. Granted I am always on normal mode. Are you on normal as well? I’ve seen some getting similar number as yours stating they are on eco mode (which I just can’t do)
From what I can tell, the main difference in eco mode is that when you are in cruise and the truck slows because of traffic conditions, it will accelerate back to the set speed more gradually.

I have a Powerboost and drive with a very light foot, though I live in a hilly area. The truck averages 19 mpg over 15k miles. I’ve had some long highway trips where I’ve exceeded 20 mpg but it’s rare. Not bad for a full size truck, but a joke compared to what they market. I have no doubt the diesel is far more economical, though you don’t get the power and features of the Powerboost.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
So I'm in Texas now visiting my folks. WTF diesel is $1/gal more than gasoline! These are the same prices we have back home in Oregon! $5.30 vs $4.25 just about everywhere.

Now I'm really glad I didn't get the 3.0 Powerstroke.

BTW I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.0 diesel that gets 28 MPG on hwy, with a class 4 hitch, heavy duty suspension, LS diff, and a hot tune from GDE. Many other upgrades - For Sale

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
One day the battery in the Powerboost will need to be replace and it's not cheap! If the ecoboost gas engine doesn't break first.

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
1) Diesel does win while towing and PB barely edges out the diesel in city in real world numbers. On the highway, diesel wins without question, PB ain’t coming close. Many powerboost owners struggle to achieve EPA numbers while the 3.0 is capable of 30+ on the highway. I got 31.9 on mine when it was stock. It’s no contest.

2) Given the reliance on diesel for commercial vehicles, farm equipment, massive boats, etc, diesel will be around long term. It’s not going anywhere. It’s just not as popular in cars and smaller trucks in the US.
I'd fully agree on #2. As a marine engineering friend once told me "diesel is God's fuel", lol!

My bigger concern with the smaller diesel engines is that mechanics' expertise will dwindle as small-vehicle diesels dwindle in number. From what I have read to-date, there's enough difference between the 3.0L (and smaller) diesels out there and the larger super-duty sized (and commercial truck, etc) that expertise in one may not translate to antoher.

But still, I DO wish Ford still offered the 3L Powerstroke as an option!

Sponsored

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So I'm in Texas now visiting my folks. WTF diesel is $1/gal more than gasoline! These are the same prices we have back home in Oregon! $5.30 vs $4.25 just about everywhere.

Now I'm really glad I didn't get the 3.0 Powerstroke.

BTW I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.0 diesel that gets 28 MPG on hwy, with a class 4 hitch, heavy duty suspension, LS diff, and a hot tune from GDE. Many other upgrades - For Sale
Its shocking the differences between gas & diesel in some spots!

In BC, diesel used to be cheaper than 87. Now its about on-par with 93 (about 10-15% more than 87).

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Its shocking the differences between gas & diesel in some spots!

In BC, diesel used to be cheaper than 87. Now its about on-par with 93 (about 10-15% more than 87).
It's 2022, it is hardly fair to compare today's diesel prices to those Before Christ

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
The diesel taxes on the fuel needs to be removed or reduce to give some relief to the trucking industry. I'm not just saying this because I drive a diesel truck, but the
high diesel prices along will continue to have all of us paid more for everything. All goods in this country moves
by diesel power not gas. The EV type transport systems are still way to off in the future.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I'd fully agree on #2. As a marine engineering friend once told me "diesel is God's fuel", lol!

My bigger concern with the smaller diesel engines is that mechanics' expertise will dwindle as small-vehicle diesels dwindle in number. From what I have read to-date, there's enough difference between the 3.0L (and smaller) diesels out there and the larger super-duty sized (and commercial truck, etc) that expertise in one may not translate to antoher.

But still, I DO wish Ford still offered the 3L Powerstroke as an option!
I think there are enough knowledgeable people out there that it shouldn’t be an issue. Many Diesel engines have been long replaced and discontinued across many brands and working on them isn’t an issue for the most part.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
One day the battery in the Powerboost will need to be replace and it's not cheap! If the ecoboost gas engine doesn't break first.
This is true. I’d rather worry about emissions systems than the electronics, battery, and eco boost engine.

Sponsored

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I think there are enough knowledgeable people out there that it shouldn’t be an issue. Many Diesel engines have been long replaced and discontinued across many brands and working on them isn’t an issue for the most part.
I hope you're right! I would just add that modern engines have grown in complexity (especially the sensor/electronics/ECU areas) that could definitely limit the less-common engines from getting parts down the road...

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I hope you're right! I would just add that modern engines have grown in complexity (especially the sensor/electronics/ECU areas) that could definitely limit the less-common engines from getting parts down the road...
Fortunately the engine is still alive and well in other markets. It hasn’t been discontinued all together.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
How much is it? It’s a tiny battery, I thought it was like $600.

what does a def pump, nox sensors, or a dpf cost? Those are main reasons I am staying away from a diesel right now. Do the gen13 3.0 have any issues with those systems?

the platform I came from did have a lot of issues with them

I traded my my non hd diesel for a powerboost. I miss the mpg but not the anxiety

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
The battery that will need to be replace in the Powerboost will not be cheap and the year of your truck will dictate the type of battery you will get. If a more advance battery comes out for your truck it will only able to get the type that is for that year and not the advance model. All this will be also for the EV cars and trucks! This only makes sense as why would the car manufacturing companies give you a more advance battery when they could force you to buy a new car or truck?

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
How much is it? It’s a tiny battery, I thought it was like $600.

what does a def pump, nox sensors, or a dpf cost? Those are main reasons I am staying away from a diesel right now. Do the gen13 3.0 have any issues with those systems?

the platform I came from did have a lot of issues with them

I traded my my non hd diesel for a powerboost. I miss the mpg but not the anxiety
I am on my second 3.0 Powerstroke and zero problems. I wanted the new F-150 is the only reason I got rid of the previous 2019. I don't baby the engine and always keep up on maintenance and change the fuel filters every 15k or so.
Sponsored