Sponsored

3.0 diesel and the PowerBoost

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
Yeah, I only use normal mode, haven’t noticed any increase from Eco myself. I think it all just comes down to driving habits and how much you stay out of the boost and how well you cans squeeze additional electric miles out of it.
I completely agree! Initially I wanted the Diesel engine, but I was stuck on stupid and wanted the pro power onboard. I do like the balance of power and reasonable MPG of the PB.I’m used to 16MPG at best.The ideal setup is the 3.0 with pro power, but that ship has long sailed!
Sponsored

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
The two may be close with their highway mileage with a slight advantage to the diesel having a taller gear ratio. The PB may also edge out the diesel around town. It's towing anything where you will notice the difference.

From what I've read and heard, the PB averages the same towing mileage as a regular 3.5. I have averaged 7.5-8mpg towing my 30ft toy hauler with 3 different 3.5's. I hooked that same toy hauler up to a 2019 3.0 Powerstroke on a windy day and took it on a route with a number of steep rolling hills (I averaged under 6mpg with my Ecoboost on this same route on the same day) and the PS ranged between 11.7 and 13mpg. I couldn't believe it.

Smokewagun

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat Lightning
Just some info here…
With my 2019 3.0L, I average about 27mpg on the interstate and towing my 6k brick TT, 15mpg is common in the Midwest. Most towing is no worse than 13mpg. Towing my flatbed trailer with 3 quads nets 21mpg coming back from Wisconsin. It won’t win a race, but is steady, stays in 10th, and pulls like a freighter. In all cases, I’m always 6+mpg over any of my 3.5L EB’s or my POS oil burner 5.0L.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
I don’t depend on what the dash gauges tell me as I have found them bias high. Good ole excel spreadsheet always tell the truth, screenshots has one cross country trip at speeds over 70 so we all know the fuel milage will be less. My PB now has over 20k on it but I’m sure the 3:55 rear 3.0 diesel will get better milage than my 3:76 rear 3.5 PB. One last comment, most often I find I can travel the same distance on gas for the same cost as diesel, why diesel is more expensive than gas IDK?
Ford F-150 3.0 diesel and the PowerBoost A8885FA1-77E1-4F50-A6DB-6024B6C00A99

machz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Systems Administrator
why diesel is more expensive than gas IDK?
Taxes, it's a way for the guberment to get more taxes as goods are shipped and the majority of diesel is used in transport. Plus the cost of producing "clean" diesel has increased the cost.

Reactions: WRS

Sponsored

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
Taxes, it's a way for the guberment to get more taxes as goods are shipped and the majority of diesel is used in transport. Plus the cost of producing "clean" diesel has increased the cost.
Diesel costs less to make than gasoline just greed no need for it to cost more

Ford F-150 3.0 diesel and the PowerBoost 1634928558810

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
You have to be careful how you phrase this question so that you get the answer that you want. If you are purely interested in "Which truck burns a smaller volume of fuel", then the diesel wins when towing, but the PB wins in the city and CAN edge out the diesel on the highway. However, if you want to know "Which one will cost me more to drive?", that's a far trickier but perhaps more pertinent question. The massive volatility in diesel prices, even when compared with energy price volatility in general, can rapidly overwhelm all overwhelm any advantage in efficiency.

Broadly, diesel FUEL is on its way out because it burns more like a billion tiny logs than like gasoline, but COMPRESSION IGNITION, which people often mistake as synonymous with "diesel" but which can and is being used with light hydrocarbon fuels, is so much better than spark ignition that it will crowd out spark ignition over the next 10 years. The Nordberg radial, a massive 2 stroke diesel engine from the 1930s, could be configured to run on diesel, natural gas or a mixture of both as prices varied.

The point being: sometimes technology isn't as mutually exclusive as a simple view of what is available right now might suggest.

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
How many of you on this forum have had people say "Oh you have a diesel or a Power Stroke diesel" or " I thought your truck was a Power Boost but I see it's a Power Stroke diesel"? "Oh I didn't even know that Ford had a diesel for the F150". The badges on the side are to much alike!

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
“then the diesel wins when towing, but the PB wins in the city and CAN edge out the diesel on the highway.”

Broadly, diesel FUEL is on its way out…
1) Diesel does win while towing and PB barely edges out the diesel in city in real world numbers. On the highway, diesel wins without question, PB ain’t coming close. Many powerboost owners struggle to achieve EPA numbers while the 3.0 is capable of 30+ on the highway. I got 31.9 on mine when it was stock. It’s no contest.

2) Given the reliance on diesel for commercial vehicles, farm equipment, massive boats, etc, diesel will be around long term. It’s not going anywhere. It’s just not as popular in cars and smaller trucks in the US.

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The best I've done on the highway is 28 over ~2 hours, so if you're getting 30+ there's no way I could touch that. The thing that I really wanted was a diesel hybrid, and my secret fantasy is to keep my PB, find a donor 3.0L Powerstroke and merge them together in an unholy Frankenstein monster that makes Greta Thunberg cry while getting 30 MPG overall.

AS for diesel fuel, I think that it's going to vanish because the advantage that kept it in all of those vehicle types isn't inherent to the fuel, but to the combustion cycle. Compression ignition leads to a far more efficient burn than spark ignition, but because diesel fuel on burns on the surface of fuel droplets rather than as a homogenous air/fuel mix it is both less efficient than gasoline AND much easier to manage in a compression ignition engine. When "diesel" meant "diesel fuel with compression ignition" and "gasoline" meant "gasoline with spark ignition", there was a clear case for each, despite the drawbacks in spark ignition and the drawbacks in diesel fuel.

Right now, we're seeing more and more manufacturers master the timing and control challenges of gasoline compression ignition engines, which combines the better fuel (gasoline) with the better combustion cycle (compression ignition). The result is a gasoline engine that is more similar to a current gen diesel than a spark ignition gasoline motor, but whose details differ a lot from a diesel engine as well. Mazda's Skyactiv-X is the first broadly mass produced variant, but a lot of the big players are working on it, with SAE itself leading the charge among American companies.

So I think that the more accurate statement is that in the future, all engines are going to be kind of like diesels and kind of like current gas engines, even though they will run on gasoline.

Also, thanks a lot for your video on the center console lid swap; that may be my next project.

Pitago

First Name
Guadalupe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 powerboat 2022
Occupation
Government employee
Just purchased this vehicle last week. Had it washed at the dealership today..and ford pas sent a message during service..now my electric engine won't kick on only when I start my vehicle. I called services can't take it in till Monday May 9 2022. Fix problem or replace vehicle. I asked about a 14 day policy return. 70,000$ vehicle please send a certified technician to Hacienda ford Edinburg TX

Antman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150
Occupation
Manager
I usually get around 21-23 MPG per tank normal mixed driving, with a rare 25 thrown in if I fill with 93 Octane (it definitely makes a difference both in power and mileage)

I was pleasantly surprised today when I towed my boat for the first time with my Powerboost.

• 6000# 18.5' MultiSpecies Boat, dual axle trailer.
  • Around 100 miles roundtrip- 75% highway, I averaged 14.1 MPG. It really towed nicely too, plenty of power, stable. I enjoyed the trip.
  • My 2020 2500 SilveradoHD 6.6 Gasser did the same trip with 11 MPG.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just purchased this vehicle last week. Had it washed at the dealership today..and ford pas sent a message during service..now my electric engine won't kick on only when I start my vehicle. I called services can't take it in till Monday May 9 2022. Fix problem or replace vehicle. I asked about a 14 day policy return. 70,000$ vehicle please send a certified technician to Hacienda ford Edinburg TX
Hello! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you on my end.
Sponsored