Sponsored

3.0 can it still be ordered ???????

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
Check with my dealer today for my friend and he said that Ford had top out it's diesel engines for 2020 model and NO MORE will be produce. My dealer did find one in another state and it was the only one out of 600 dealers, but it was a order and sold. Wish Ford didn't stop offering this engine, but I am glad I did get one before they stopped!
I wish I did. I don't really tow heavy enough to justify a 1 ton diesel so the half ton diesel would've worked perfect for me. Lots and lots of light to medium duty towing with my F-150, and 7mpg regardless of what I tow is pushing me swiftly away from gas.

Couldn't make the numbers make sense every time I went to buy one but if I had known I could double my mpg while towing by going with the diesel it'd have made alot more sense. Definitely have regrets.
Sponsored

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
The Powerboost is the ecoboost gas engine and a battery together. I have heard bad thing as far a the longevity of the ecoboost gas engine. It has to many moving part that are bound to break. The battery in the Powerboost is another
factor that will not be cheap to replace. Long live the diesel 3.0!!

OP
OP

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
If a truck owner is worried about MPG when towing, then they probably don't own a 1/2 ton...
Maybe these days but looking at some of my trucks lot better mpg than the new trucks . That being said
ok mpg and poor mpg is different . On one of the other threads people are getting 7mpg with hybrid

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Maybe these days but looking at some of my trucks lot better mpg than the new trucks . That being said
ok mpg and poor mpg is different . On one of the other threads people are getting 7mpg with hybrid
For me it wouldn't be the MPG towing since that is only a few times a year the problem arises with the tank size combined with the lower MPG. When you get under 300 miles per tank and you are trying to, for instance, take an rv trip and now you are stopping every 250 ish miles for gas it becomes a real PITA. Been there in my 1997 ford light duty 250 and a 5th wheel trailer, the second time I ran out of gas we bought a MH still got the same mpg but the tank was 18 gallons more :)

OP
OP

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
For me it wouldn't be the MPG towing since that is only a few times a year the problem arises with the tank size combined with the lower MPG. When you get under 300 miles per tank and you are trying to, for instance, take an rv trip and now you are stopping every 250 ish miles for gas it becomes a real PITA. Been there in my 1997 ford light duty 250 and a 5th wheel trailer, the second time I ran out of gas we bought a MH still got the same mpg but the tank was 18 gallons more :)

Agreed unless you are retired and towing across the country mpg towing is not a big issue . Like you did a aftermarket tank would be the way to go. Everyday driving the 3.0 does is mpg king

Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Ask the lowerboost guys about mpg while towing. It's not what it's made out to be
Hey, powerboost owner here, towing is fine. 15 MPG towing a 4k bass boat hundreds of miles at a time. It's great because you can also keep the trolling batteries charged while underway.
I also have realistic expectations of what the truck can pull. And I keep an eye on the gears and lock them out when needed.

The ones you are talking about on this forum thinks that a 1/2 ton truck can pull the same weight with the same efficiency as a 1 ton diesal.

Get the right tools for the job.

Mike50

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR PB, 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Retired
I haven't towed, yet, with my Powerboost. But my 2019 ecoboost got terrible mileage towing. Pulling a heavy trailer with lots of wind resistance, got around 7. Why would a Powerboost get worse mileage? It's basically the same engine. I'm averaging 21.5 to 22 on mixed hwy/city driving but heavy on the highway. That's almost exactly 2.5mpg better than my 2019 got for the same driving.

After 5500 miles, I like it but it is "different". I'm a little self-conscience about gas mileage, driving a truck all the time, so I enjoy the increased mileage. I'm still not "environmental friendly" by most of my friends standards but so what. I love a truck and will never not have one. The all electric just DOESN'T WORK. Someone needs to inform our president and environmentalist. There is definitely a place for them but not everywhere or for everyone. It isn't a matter of preference, it is a matter of need/location/lifestyle/electric availabilty and reliability. When they will fully charge in 5-10 minutes with a 500 mile range, give me a call and we will talk.

OP
OP

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
So 3 weeks away from pick up and hoping there is nothing wrong with the thing

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
I would have loved to have a diesel, but seeing pricing on website seems Ford charges a “diesel tax” for their diesels…. (Twice the price of gas engine). Yet European Rangers are standard with diesel and even *gasp* manual transmissions

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
I would have loved to have a diesel, but seeing pricing on website seems Ford charges a “diesel tax” for their diesels…. (Twice the price of gas engine). Yet European Rangers are standard with diesel and even *gasp* manual transmissions

Sponsored

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
No not any longer. Ford stop offering it about a month or so ago. Big mistake for Ford!! Long live the diesel!!

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
I agree, but maybe there weren’t enough sales in the F150 realm? I know that’s why RAM pulled the Cummins from the 1/2 tons and went with the V6 diesel that was sold in Europe for decades. ( and still managed to screw it up)

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I think that the Powerboost paired with the 3.0 diesel would've been legendary. It would've been a $12k engine option, but I bet it would've done 24 MPG with a trailer and 28 without. They wouldn't have sold nearly as many, but it would've been a pretty amazing source of bragging rights.

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
I agree that a diesel matched with a Powerboost setup
would have been a better engine then with the Eco gas
engine. All the train locomotives are diesels powering a electric motor!
Sponsored