First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150xl 4x4
Occupation
Auto shop owner
I live in western New York. 9 months winter 2 months mud 1 month road construction lol. I like 2wd they ride better and are better on gas. Less wear and tear too. Never got stuck where it was an issue. But lately nobody will buy a used 2wd around here I don't think they even sell them so 4x4 isn't an option anymore it's the only choice in my area unless I planned on keeping it 20 years. If I lived south of say middle Pennsylvania I'd drive a 2wd no question.
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
All they sell here is 4x4 as well even though we get no snow, no rain, no mud and all our roads are paved. We do have mountains here but it’s all accessible with a 4x2 car so the truck shouldn’t be an issue. I’m convinced they stock em that way because it’s a profit booster.

As for resale... get the truck you want, forget the next guy.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Even though in FL and never off road, I still get AWD/4WD. Our other vehicle is a Subaru. We go up to the mountains in GA/NC a few times a year and get crazy rain storms in FL. I like traction when needed. ymmv

RexTX

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang Shelby GT, 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
retired
I did not realize Lariat had AWD vs 4wd. I might have upgraded from XLT had I known.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I did not realize Lariat had AWD vs 4wd. I might have upgraded from XLT had I known.
Yep, it’s one of the biggest perks of the Lariat and Ford doesn’t even really advertise it much, you never really see it mentioned in any of the advertising. Wish they offered it on the XLT as well.

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
yeah, I would want the 4A and memory seats in XLT... don't want leather in hot florida.... Lariat cloth conversion... hah!

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How funny, different approaches to the same issue: here its super hot too and car seats are just yuck. while leather is usually a non starter, I actually prefer the ventilated leather over cloth.

I don’t understand how 4wd gets you any more traction going down the road (getting going from a stop sure), but 2WD vehicles still have 4 tires gripping the road and those 4 wheels still have brakes for emergencies and those brakes are still computer controlled to maximize traction in an emergency maneuver. What am I missing?

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
How funny, different approaches to the same issue: here its super hot too and car seats are just yuck. while leather is usually a non starter, I actually prefer the ventilated leather over cloth.

I don’t understand how 4wd gets you any more traction going down the road (getting going from a stop sure), but 2WD vehicles still have 4 tires gripping the road and those 4 wheels still have brakes for emergencies and those brakes are still computer controlled to maximize traction in an emergency maneuver. What am I missing?
The 4 auto will keep the backend from kicking out under throttle at the very least

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB

It’s helpful here in the Northeast for the winter. Taking any slight turn under any amount of throttle, is 100x safer in 4WD than 2WD. Not going to help you stopping, but any turns under acceleration and just the ease of not having to manually take it in and out all the time as you go from messy to clean pavement in the winter is a godsend.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB

In heavy rain, you want traction up front. That is why front wheel drive cars do better in rain and snow than rear wheel drive cars.

Sponsored

FtS

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
You are assuming level of grip is the same under each tire. If you are on a level dry road, yes that is a mostly correct assumption. However, when the weather is not so good or you are off paved roads, the level of grip under each tire is very different and changes dynamically every inch. In those cases, you would prefer a vehicle that can send power to all four wheels, so you can take advantage of any available grip under any tire.

This is particularly important for a pickup truck, since majority of the weight of the vehicle is on the front axle, but a 2x4 F150 sends all of its power only to the rear axle.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You are assuming level of grip is the same under each tire. If you are on a level dry road, yes that is a mostly correct assumption. However, when the weather is not so good or you are off paved roads, the level of grip under each tire is very different and changes dynamically every inch. In those cases, you would prefer a vehicle that can send power to all four wheels, so you can take advantage of any available grip under any tire.

This is particularly important for a pickup truck, since majority of the weight of the vehicle is on the front axle, but a 2x4 F150 sends all of its power only to the rear axle.
Actually my assumption is that traveling at speed the amount of torque being applied to the rear tires isn’t enough to loose traction and any emergency situations (steering, swerving, slipping, hydroplaning, braking) are not going to solved by additional power/torque but rather controlled individual wheel braking via the traction control system which is on 4x2.

Anyway, around here it’s not necessary as flat roads is pretty much all we got. Drove a 4x2 ranger for a decade and only got stuck once when I screwed up driving on a ranch at night in the rain, made a wrong turn and buried it in mud up to the doors. Pretty sure I still have a shoe out there somewhere lol.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I certainly don't know the programming, and haven't really even thought too hard about the physics... but I would like to hope, that with the 2021 F150 having both Evasive Steering and AdvanceTrac (a version of ESC which is a version of TC, with much more sensor inputs) and Auto 4WD would have a better system response to certain "emergency" conditions.

I have driven plenty of RWD-only vehicles in my life where the back end started coming around due to conditions (when I did NOT want it to ;) ). In particular unloaded RWD pickup trucks.

I would like to think in a condition where there are problematic surfaces (wet) and doing an emergency maneuver to avoid an object in the roadway, or taking a curve too fast when wet, or having a sheet of water crossing the road on a curve (partial hydroplaning), that being able to cut the drive power to a (or both) rear wheels (by applying the brakes) and using front wheel (or both) to continue to pull the truck forward, all automatic and in milliseconds would be advantageous.

But again, perhaps I'm fantasizing about the actual capabilities of the system.

jhopkinson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2013 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Tech Director

You need to experience a Cleveland winter in a 2wd truck as your daily driver and you will understand. =)

OP
OP
CK.MECHA

CK.MECHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Motorcycles
Lots of good discussion re: 2wd v. 4wd v. AWD. I initially started the thread because I was curious specifically about the Powerboost optioned with 2WD v 4WD. My assumption is since its an upgrade engine the dealers all made stock orders with higher level trim packages including 4wd for this engine. That much I am sure of, ive seen some stupidly optioned trucks IMO.

Im just hoping there is not something im not aware of with this option, 2WD with the hybrid. I assume the hybrid braking is in the transmission so all those parts and performance characteristics will be the same regardless of 2wd v 4wd? I know I will not have hill decent and any other 4wd modes, but any other features that will be different or not available?

If someone has driven a 2wd equipped Powerboost I would appreciate your insight. My truck finally has a VIN and build week, so im holding out hope it will be shipped before the end of summer. Meanwhile I continue to search for dealer inventory trucks, though the pick of Lariat Poweboost trucks is severly limited, and I have yet to see even one 2wd supercrew truck in any engine or trim level at my local dealers (North Atlanta area). If I find a Lariat Powerboost in 4WD that is close to my build I would consider pulling the trigger, im just not convinced the extra cost is worth it for me.
Sponsored