OP
OP
CK.MECHA

CK.MECHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Motorcycles
If anyone has something they would like me to take a look at re: differences of the 2WD v 4WD in form or functionality just let me know and ill take a look. Of course I dont have a '21 4WD F150 to compare to, but I did test drive plenty and i will do my best.

I can tell you the one thing it wins at is price; my purchase price after x-plan and incentives was less than $55k for a Lariat powerboost with the options I wanted.
Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I currently have a 2014 supercab w/ 8' bed, since I have the HDPP. It is 4x4. Have I used it a lot? No, but I have needed it from time to time.

Take this weekend for example. I tow a 24.5' TT. I also have football season tickets. We park at the airport lot, which is grass covered. Where the trailer sits, backed up to the fence line, it's flat. However, the area we pull into before backing into our space is on a downhill incline.

The grass was wet which meant we could not back up, pushing our trailers, without shifting into 4x4. This has happened several times over the past few years.

I would rather have the 4x4 and not need it, that need it, and not have it.

Blueonblue

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT Contractor
I drove a 2017 2.7 Ecoboost with a rear locker and that's all I ever needed. And I hunt and fish the CA and Utah forest's. Never got stuck. Only time I got stuck was in deep sand in Dumont dunes. Took half the air out of the tires and the truck drove right out towing a 5000# trailer. I went 4x4 with my new powerboost because of the resale and towing a heavier trailer.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Sorta interesting thread.

Anyone who spins out off the line on a 2wd vehicle could probably figure out how to drive one day. I use a 2wd truck IN COLORADO with all season tires and it works great with one exception. Starting on an icy grade is no bueno, but not impossible. The Volvo 240 wagon, also rear 2wd, was unstoppable with blizzaks.

I actually didn't want 4wd in my 2022, but my wife was pretty firm on it. I think the reason my 04 is so problem free is the simplicity in the 2wd orientation. That said, a locker is absolutely necessary as the LSD is worthless. The weight and efficiency savings are very important to me, but nothing compares to something that is simple and reliable. I do a fair bit of off-roading around here and have only got screwed once with the 2wd driving up the sand dunes at Great Sand Dune park. Maybe the 4wd will get used someday, but 2wd has rarely left me wanting.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Part of the reason most PB's are 4WD is due to the PPoB feature which attracts RV'ers. I purchased my truck with towing an RV trailer in mind. I wanted the 7.2kW and 4WD. The 4WD just in case I need to drag over 7000lbs out of a muddy campground. I think many others purchased similarly. Tires are a very important consideration and I'll probably stow some lightweight traction boards as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
In past years one could buy a pickup with a real limited slip differential and these made a great deal of difference on surfaces like gravel and dirt. Current trucks have "anti-spin" which is like the old traction control on sedans and the brake is applied to the faster spinning wheel which in theory puts more power to the opposite wheel.

One needs to go to a locking rear differential which is available as an option on Ford and Ram trucks. With the 2023 F-150 pickups one can opt for the locking differential with 2WD, but it does limit the available engine choices.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Honestly, a 2WD truck is generally a badge of honor that says "I actually need this vehicle to do truck things."
Sponsored