• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2WD selection

NARCISO

First Name
NARCISO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2010 XLT
Occupation
SELLER
Hi enthusiasts!
I wonder if the new F150 lighting would be selectable for RWD when 4WD is not needed (I guess it would extend its driving range). My current 2010 F150 gets very heavy when 4WD is selected (4H) not to mention 4L which makes it even much heavier.

Any idea?

Thanks!
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Hi enthusiasts!
I wonder if the new F150 lighting would be selectable for RWD when 4WD is not needed (I guess it would extend its driving range). My current 2010 F150 gets very heavy when 4WD is selected (4H) not to mention 4L which makes it even much heavier.

Any idea?

Thanks!
If it is anything like the Mustang Mach E, 2WD is not an option. This system is AWD not 4WD. There is also no benefit to turning off the front motor as it uses permanent magnets.

The good news from my Mustang Mach E is that the drive system is anything but heavy!

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I am not sure 2wd would save anything either. With electric you don’t have the transmission/transfer case taking up some of your energy transfer.

Also the end goal is some amount of X force output to move the truck forward, I think whether you get that from one motor or two working together isn’t going to make a lot of difference as you either have one motor doing all the work or two doing about half.

Sure it’s probably more (additional electrical resistance etc) but probably not enough to impact range in any meaningful way.

OP
OP

NARCISO

First Name
NARCISO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2010 XLT
Occupation
SELLER
WoW, pretty interesting!!!

The only downside I have seen so far is the somehow limited range for long trips but... hey, we also need to rest.
I wonder if we can continue driving it while using a portable generator in case of need. I guess we just stop for a break while the generator adds a bit of charge for the next destinations.
All in all: the new Lighting looks an impressive option, I am sold.
Reserving mine this weekend ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer

The only downside I have seen so far is the somehow limited range for long trips but... hey, we also need to rest.
I wonder if we can continue driving it while using a portable generator in case of need. I guess we just stop for a break while the generator adds a bit of charge for the next destinations.
After a road trip from MD to FL and back in my Mustang Mach E I can tell you that 300 mile range and ~30 minute charging makes for a great road-tripper. The Lightning should hit that as well.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I wonder if we can continue driving it while using a portable generator in case of need.
LOL... i can see it now, lightnings driving down the road with harbor freight generators running in the bed.:ROFLMAO:

If I didn’t already have my truck ordered and my previous sold, it would be a strong contender. Next truck probably for sure.

Viper GTS

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 M3P, 2005 GX470
Occupation
God
There is guaranteed to be a great deal of software devoted to managing all of this far better than you could ever hope to. Other AWD EVs on the market already do this, with power distribution between front and rear axles shifting based on vehicle speed, throttle input, available traction, steering angle, etc. Additionally, in the case of Tesla they use different types of motors that are optimized for different speeds adding a 'which motor can do this most efficiently?' factor as well.

Also keep in mind that an electric pickup with no front motor would likely lose significant range due to the inability to effectively regen brake. With no added weight in the bed (which realistically is most of the time for most people) you'd be massively traction limited on rear axle only energy recovery.

In short, there's little (likely no) upside to offering this and lots of downside.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Here is a great video regarding the different EV AWD systems from Ford and Tesla

Last edited:

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead

Am I reading this correctly, in that scenario you're carrying a running generator in your electric truck to somehow influence a level of perpetual motion but conserving energy by not utilizing one of the drive motors?

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Nah, I think he is considering using a generator to extend his range by charging while rolling down the road. Look for the truck with a charge cord stuck in the front fender, duct taped to the side of the truck, plugged into his 80 amp home charger in the bed and plugged into a running 10 KW generator in the bed. He gets to avoid the 40 minute fast chargers by pulling in for gas every couple of hours.

Wait that's like an ICE F150 but much more complicated. :D "Honey, is it starting to rain?" Zap.

Seriously,
Head over to the Ford website and order a F150 hybrid. They already build the perfect hybrid truck for you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Since this feature is standard on the Lightning ⚡ F-150 I would say it’s likely going to be configured like an AWD system, or the “4 Auto” feature on Lariat and up trim levels.

OP
OP

NARCISO

First Name
NARCISO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2010 XLT
Occupation
SELLER
Am I reading this correctly, in that scenario you're carrying a running generator in your electric truck to somehow influence a level of perpetual motion but conserving energy by not utilizing one of the drive motors?

well.. not really. I was worried about long trips, specially if using a/c or heather, itwould drain the battery way faster, so... an onboard generator would extend the range. Apparently Ford is working on a special generator to extend the range, charging while driving, useful in long distances, the patent is supposedly registered but that could be speculations.
I guess we will just sope for a drive break and avoid using a/c in long distance trips.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Nah, I think he is considering using a generator to extend his range by charging while rolling down the road. Look for the truck with a charge cord stuck in the front fender, duct taped to the side of the truck, plugged into his 80 amp home charger in the bed and plugged into a running 10 KW generator in the bed. He gets to avoid the 40 minute fast chargers by pulling in for gas every couple of hours.

Wait that's like an ICE F150 but much more complicated. :D "Honey, is it starting to rain?" Zap.

Seriously,
Head over to the Ford website and order a F150 hybrid. They already build the perfect hybrid truck for you.
I certainly do like mine!

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
well.. not really. I was worried about long trips, specially if using a/c or heather, itwould drain the battery way faster, so... an onboard generator would extend the range. Apparently Ford is working on a special generator to extend the range, charging while driving, useful in long distances, the patent is supposedly registered but that could be speculations.
I guess we will just sope for a drive break and avoid using a/c in long distance trips.
AC use doesn’t impact range too much in EVs, I believe my model 3 is something like 1 -2 kw which is not even 2% of the battery every hour. With a much larger battery in the Lightning it will be negligible. It’s heat usage, and battery warming in cold weather that has a much larger draw, especially if resistive heating is used and not a heat pump. Keeping the cabin warm is something like 3-4 kw plus extra for warming batteries plus extra to go from a cold cabin to warm initially. Again, with a model 3 that can easily account for over 25% loss in range with temperatures in the 30s. Since the lightning will have a bigger battery, it won’t as high of a percentage of range lost.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
A running portable generator will run about 8hrs under load on a full tank, at least in my experience when using one to power part of our house during a power outage.

I'm not gonna be the guy that tries to charge his truck while driving tho. ;)
Sponsored