Sponsored

22 tundra limited trd package…low payload

bulger81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Just saw a video on YouTube, TFL . Current payload according to the sticker in a 22 limited trd off road is about 1400lbs. I imagine the limited trd version will be in the middle of pricing of all the models And popular choice among truck buyers. Im sure that one payload figure may drive people to get a F150, since 1400 may seem like enough but if think about it…4 grown men“200lb” average or 5 people if they diet, going on a camping trip with equipment..the payload may be put to the test….cant say I’m disappointed to go with a 2021 F150….
Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Just saw a video on YouTube, TFL . Current payload according to the sticker in a 22 limited trd off road is about 1400lbs. I imagine the limited trd version will be in the middle of pricing of all the models And popular choice among truck buyers. Im sure that one payload figure may drive people to get a F150, since 1400 may seem like enough but if think about it…4 grown men“200lb” average or 5 people if they diet, going on a camping trip with equipment..the payload may be put to the test….cant say I’m disappointed to go with a 2021 F150….
I mean, that is where the F-150 PowerBoost is for comparable equipment. My 2021 F-150 Lariat 502a PowerBoost is 1406lbs of payload. The battery and motor and all that are heavy, and IIRC isn't the Limited TRD the hybrid?

I mean, you can get an XLT F-150 PowerBoost in the 1600lb Payload range, so the options are there, but I thought a Limited Tundra is like a Limited/Platinum F-150, isn't it? If so, then that Payload is almost equivalent to a comparable F-150 (again, assuming PowerBoost).

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I saw that too. I don’t recall if it was the hybrid or not? If so, the PB f150 isn’t much better. If it wasn’t the hybrid then…yikes. It’s not super surprising though given the move to coil springs. Ram gave us a sneak peak of how that would look for payload

OP
OP

bulger81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
I mean, that is where the F-150 PowerBoost is for comparable equipment. My 2021 F-150 Lariat 502a PowerBoost is 1406lbs of payload. The battery and motor and all that are heavy, and IIRC isn't the Limited TRD the hybrid?

I mean, you can get an XLT F-150 PowerBoost in the 1600lb Payload range, so the options are there, but I thought a Limited Tundra is like a Limited/Platinum F-150, isn't it? If so, then that Payload is almost equivalent to a comparable F-150 (again, assuming PowerBoost).
I believe it was the non hybrid version in the 1400lb range, and I believe the 22 trd pro in the 1400 range. I think The tremor is about 1800 payload. I guess it means getting one of those diamond hd heavy duty covers is probably not the best option if ur in the 1400lb range. But most days 1400 is probably enough

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I believe it was the non hybrid version in the 1400lb range, and I believe the 22 trd pro in the 1400 range. I think The tremor is about 1800 payload. I guess it means getting one of those diamond hd heavy duty covers is probably not the best option if ur in the 1400lb range. But most days 1400 is probably enough
Ahhh okay, I thought I read somewhere the TRD Pro was hybrid only, maybe it was the reverse, that you could only get the Hybrid with the TRD Pro?

I dunno, could be neither, the Toyota didn't interest me so I haven't spent much time on it. But if it is non-hybrid, that payload is definitely rough as you mentioned.

Sponsored

mason1646

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 Limited
Ahhh okay, I thought I read somewhere the TRD Pro was hybrid only, maybe it was the reverse, that you could only get the Hybrid with the TRD Pro?

I dunno, could be neither, the Toyota didn't interest me so I haven't spent much time on it. But if it is non-hybrid, that payload is definitely rough as you mentioned.
The TRD Pro is Hybrid only, but you can get the Hybrid on other trims as well. It seems like only the upper trims, wherever that cutoff is. Toyota really missed the mark here. Hybrids should be for the masses not the few, particularly the truck style non-cvt Hybrids. You would think of all companies they would realize this.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The TRD Pro is Hybrid only, but you can get the Hybrid on other trims as well. It seems like only the upper trims, wherever that cutoff is. Toyota really missed the mark here. Hybrids should be for the masses not the few, particularly the truck style non-cvt Hybrids. You would think of all companies they would realize this.
That was an area Ford really surprised and impressed me, making the PowerBoost available on the XL. They didn't limit it at all for XL owners either, you can still get the 7.2KW and everything. I don't know if they just expected low take rate on it or what. But Ford lately has been so harsh on their option restrictions per trim level, like how my 502a Lariat that MSRP is as high as a Platinum doesn't get the wireless charging pad, or how a 501a or lower F-150 can't add the BlueCruise prep package, stuff like that. Ford seems to make a lot of their newest stuff trim limited, but that PowerBoost they let everyone have.

Maybe it was still self-serving though, I imagine all those PBs on the road help the CAFE numbers for the F-150.

mason1646

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 Limited
That was an area Ford really surprised and impressed me, making the PowerBoost available on the XL. They didn't limit it at all for XL owners either, you can still get the 7.2KW and everything. I don't know if they just expected low take rate on it or what. But Ford lately has been so harsh on their option restrictions per trim level, like how my 502a Lariat that MSRP is as high as a Platinum doesn't get the wireless charging pad, or how a 501a or lower F-150 can't add the BlueCruise prep package, stuff like that. Ford seems to make a lot of their newest stuff trim limited, but that PowerBoost they let everyone have.

Maybe it was still self-serving though, I imagine all those PBs on the road help the CAFE numbers for the F-150.
It is all self serving. Since Toyota has no problem meeting mpg requirements they will reserve the cool technology for the upper end of buyers. I am a knuckle dragging conservative, but think Hybrid technology is almost an entirely drawback-less thing. If I still get a torque converted transmission, more power, and better fuel economy I don't see any down side with all else being equal. This is why I don't know how someone like Toyota could screw this up so badly if it were really about emissions and environmental concerns. It's not. It's about forcing customers to unnecessarily upgrade to a higher trim level than they otherwise would have bought.

I don't get my pants to tightly bound over gimmicks like wireless charging, but when we have congress folk trying to keep the cows from farting to reduce our carbon footprint and we're told that we all need to care more for the environment its frustrating for the supposedly praised middle class man to walk into a dealership and be told "Sorry sir, we don't have the base truck with a hybrid. Can I interest you in a decked out chrome-cowboy edition?" If a manufacturer truly believes this is the future, then offer it to all. So on this front I am impressed with Ford.

Forgive me if that was too political.. but I am of the opinion that the supposed two off limits topics (politics and religion) are the only things really worth talking about.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is all self serving. Since Toyota has no problem meeting mpg requirements they will reserve the cool technology for the upper end of buyers. I am a knuckle dragging conservative, but think Hybrid technology is almost an entirely drawback-less thing. If I still get a torque converted transmission, more power, and better fuel economy I don't see any down side with all else being equal. This is why I don't know how someone like Toyota could screw this up so badly if it were really about emissions and environmental concerns. It's not. It's about forcing customers to unnecessarily upgrade to a higher trim level than they otherwise would have bought.

I don't get my pants to tightly bound over gimmicks like wireless charging, but when we have congress folk trying to keep the cows from farting to reduce our carbon footprint and we're told that we all need to care more for the environment its frustrating for the supposedly praised middle class man to walk into a dealership and be told "Sorry sir, we don't have the base truck with a hybrid. Can I interest you in a decked out chrome-cowboy edition?" If a manufacturer truly believes this is the future, then offer it to all. So on this front I am impressed with Ford.

Forgive me if that was too political.. but I am of the opinion that the supposed two off limits topics (politics and religion) are the only things really worth talking about.
They may have a valid reason, like ability to get certain parts at certain volume, like how first year production of the Lightning is limited by what Ford thinks they can get in batteries. But probably not. I am willing to give them a little more benefit of the doubt than I would Ford or GM because in the half ton market they (Toyota) need to win customers, and offering the Hybrid only on upper level trims seems counter to that.

Ford could have pulled it off because they will sell Grand Canyon filling numbers of F-150s regardless. Toyota finally refreshing a truck that already didn't sell amazingly by restricting their most appealing features to upper trim levels just to make a buck seems like poor business.

But what do I know, nobody has made me CEO of any major auto companies so maybe this will work out for them.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Any F-150 loaded out is going to have a lower payload....

Sponsored

OP
OP

bulger81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Any F-150 loaded out is going to have a lower payload....
The 4x2 double cab 6.5 ft 22 limited tundra is only at about 1400….I was surprised by that number on the double cab, the Ford maverick is about 1500lbs…I think Ford f150 does a good job on payload but ride quality not quite there…loaded out anything will reduce payload, I guess improving ride quality may be worth the loss in payload…..

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
This is no surprise; Toyota has a payload problem in their USDM trucks. Meanwhile, the rest of the world can get a 4cyl Hilux with a 1-1/4 ton payload.

Better CAFE numbers and low demand are surely the reasons behind Toyota cutting off the supply of higher GVWR trucks over a quarter of a century ago.

I can't recall what the high trim level F-150s get but I think that unless you have a Powerboost, you won't get the higher GAWRs that would give the highest payload. Since even the Platinum and Limited get the same buggy springs and live axle of the XL, their unladen ride quality will suffer if outfitted with the higher spring rate leaf packs.

Toyota went with NiMH for the battery pack, they shouldn't have a problem filling orders for triple their expected output of new Tundras.

OP
OP

bulger81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
I like to see the air suspension on the f150 to help improve ride quality or something.I think Toyota Tundra has loyal fans who don’t mind if the payload matches a Ford ranger or maverick. i Expect a good number of f150s will be traded in for the new tundra. if u have a Family that is not small and ur going on a trip with gear…u may not max out payload but u might only have 3/4 of payload used
Sponsored