First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 Lariat ordered 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Financial Planner, Lawyer
How’s the exhaust? Correct me if I’m wrong, but you ordered yours a longggg time ago right? Hope it works out
The exhaust isn’t rusted out so that was good and allowed me to take delivery. My wife and I were running out of time to get back to my house and relieve the sitter so I took delivery. I had them picture and note the rust. Dealership is 2 hours each way from my house so it’s probably cheaper and quicker to fix it myself. The dealership is willing to work on it for me but that’s just too much driving and would cost me an entire day with no telling how well they would fix it vs doing it myself. I wanted it noted though so if Ford does decide they should make it right, I can establish mine had the issue. Otherwise I’m loving it so far.
Ford F-150 22 FEB week builds 718A63E0-D3B0-4D16-B39B-4D052A09B217
Sponsored

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
The exhaust isn’t rusted out so that was good and allowed me to take delivery. My wife and I were running out of time to get back to my house and relieve the sitter so I took delivery. I had them picture and note the rust. Dealership is 2 hours each way from my house so it’s probably cheaper and quicker to fix it myself. The dealership is willing to work on it for me but that’s just too much driving and would cost me an entire day with no telling how well they would fix it vs doing it myself. I wanted it noted though so if Ford does decide they should make it right, I can establish mine had the issue. Otherwise I’m loving it so far.
718A63E0-D3B0-4D16-B39B-4D052A09B217.jpeg
Looks awesome man! Congrats. I was debating on those wheels and went with them. Glad I did with your photo

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
My war and peace version of today’s purchase.

Picked up my Platinum today. Ordered on 12/14/2020; arrived on 3/16/21; picked up on 3/20/21. I had wanted to do a cash deal, but ultimately decided to finance the $10k minimum to get the $1k rebate (and pay off in 90 days).

Sales vs Finance guy

Talk about the tale of two extremes.

• My sales guy is a veteran Ford guy; knew his stuff; and seemed to listen and be patient. We’ll call the sales guy Tim. Tim delivered on everything he said he would do. Pricing was accurate and no games were played (by him).
    • I had also asked Tim to accept a buy-bid from a local used dealer where I was getting top dollar on my ‘16 Platinum as trade it. This buy-bid allowed me significant savings on sales tax due to getting full credit for the trade-in. Tim said it wouldn’t be a problem (and he followed through on that).
  • The only semi-pressure from Tim was regarding extended warranty. He talked me through it a little and said that he’d give me some really aggressive pricing for a 7 yr, 100k bumper to bumper.
    • He shot me $2,900 (I knew full well that Zeigler was $1,340 for this same coverage) @ $100 deductible.
    • Since Tim has been good to work with, I just indicated that I’d think about it later and let him know if I was interested.

Now enter the Finance guy. We’ll call him him John.

• John comes in (while I’m with Tim) and asked me if I will forego a big-down payment (remember, I’m paying down to get to a $10k loan). “It just looks better for us if we carry a higher loan”.
    • I respond that I’m not okay with that. I wasn’t rude, but was very pragmatic and not wishy-washy at all.
    • He asks again, saying “oh, just make a really big payment (like $40k in month 1) and it gets you back to the same point” - and I indicate that I’m not going to take a much higher interest servicing charge in month one.
      • Anecdotally - this would have been $215 in the first month’s interest.
    • During this exchange, he keeps pushing, but then quickly follows up that “it doesn’t matter to me if that’s what you want to do” (um - then why keep pushing...)
  • 10 minutes later, John comes in and says “he’s ready for me”
    • I let him know that I haven’t even seen the truck yet and I need to inspect it before I’m ready to meet with him. Not sure he liked that, but no idea why anyone would find it reasonable to sign paperwork for a truck that they have not seen.
    • He kind of took attitude with that one in a very passive-aggressive way. Kind of strike 2 in my book.
  • (I then go and inspect the vehicle with Tim; all is well. Little bit of rust on rear axle, but all in all, I’m ready to take possession.)
  • Tim and I come back in the building and I’m handed off to the finance manager John.
    • By this point, he has mentioned twice that I can start writing my check for the down payment. (In my head - nope, not doing that until I’ve reviewed and audited the numbers for accuracy and agreement)
    • He puts the contract in front of me; starting price correct; admin fee correct; trade-in amount correct; but the overall total to pay is off by ~ $3300.
    • I ask about a particular line item and he say “oh, that’s the extended warranty that you told Tim you wanted”
      • I let him know that I hadn’t agree to buy anything and that I’d consider it down the road, but not today.
        • Full court press ensues:
          • You really want an extended warranty on this truck because it’s a $76k vehicle.
          • There are so many new technologies and gadgets on it.
          • Etc, etc.
        • I let him know that I won’t be buying the extended warranty and I receive more passive-aggressiveness.
          • He even responds that “I guess I’ll have to revise the contract now”. (Um, yeah - hence why I hadn’t started to write my down payment yet)
      • John produces a new contract. I start validating all the numbers back to a spreadsheet that I had build that accounts for each of the moving parts, including payment calculations, sales tax, admin fee, ... everything.
        • I’m working through it quickly, but John gets annoyed that I’m reconciling the financial amounts back to my own source.
        • He sharply says “Is there something wrong”. I nicely indicate - “No, I just like to validate all figures before I sign”.
      • I ask a couple of questions here and there as we finalize the paperwork. Nothing huge, but if you have a question, you have a question.
      • At some point, the electronic signature keypad he has stopped working (not his, nor my, fault. Just a computer glitch). He responds - “great, now I’ll have to reboot my computer. I really don’t have time for this today.” - keep in mind, this is like 8:45 in the morning.

All’s well that ends well. Just an odd experience; good sales guy; bad finance guy that was more or less a D-Bag.

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost

Picked up my Platinum today. Ordered on 12/14/2020; arrived on 3/16/21; picked up on 3/20/21. I had wanted to do a cash deal, but ultimately decided to finance the $10k minimum to get the $1k rebate (and pay off in 90 days).

Sales vs Finance guy

• My sales guy is a veteran Ford guy; knew his stuff; and seemed to listen and be patient. We’ll call the sales guy Tim. Tim delivered on everything he said he would do. Pricing was accurate and no games were played (by him).
    • I had also asked Tim to accept a buy-bid from a local used dealer where I was getting top dollar on my ‘16 Platinum as trade it. This buy-bid allowed me significant savings on sales tax due to getting full credit for the trade-in. Tim said it wouldn’t be a problem (and he followed through on that).
  • The only semi-pressure from Tim was regarding extended warranty. He talked me through it a little and said that he’d give me some really aggressive pricing for a 7 yr, 100k bumper to bumper.
    • He shot me $2,900 (I knew full well that Zeigler was $1,340 for this same coverage) @ $100 deductible.
    • Since Tim has been good to work with, I just indicated that I’d think about it later and let him know if I was interested.

• John comes in (while I’m with Tim) and asked me if I will forego a big-down payment (remember, I’m paying down to get to a $10k loan). “It just looks better for us if we carry a higher loan”.
    • I respond that I’m not okay with that. I wasn’t rude, but was very pragmatic and not wishy-washy at all.
    • He asks again, saying “oh, just make a really big payment (like $40k in month 1) and it gets you back to the same point” - and I indicate that I’m not going to take a much higher interest servicing charge in month one.
    • During this exchange, he keeps pushing, but then quickly follows up that “it doesn’t matter to me if that’s what you want to do” (um - then why keep pushing...)
    • I let him know that I haven’t even seen the truck yet and I need to inspect it before I’m ready to meet with him. Not sure he liked that, but no idea why anyone would find it reasonable to sign paperwork for a truck that they have not seen.
    • He kind of took attitude with that one in a very passive-aggressive way. Kind of strike 2 in my book.
  • (I then go and inspect the vehicle with Tim; all is well. Little bit of rust on rear axle, but all in all, I’m ready to take possession.)
  • Tim and I come back in the building and I’m handed off to the finance manager John.
    • By this point, he has mentioned twice that I can start writing my check for the down payment. (In my head - nope, not doing that until I’ve reviewed and audited the numbers for accuracy and agreement)
    • He puts the contract in front of me; starting price correct; admin fee correct; trade-in amount correct; but the overall total to pay is off by ~ $3300.
    • I ask about a particular line item and he say “oh, that’s the extended warranty that you told Tim you wanted”
      • I let him know that I hadn’t agree to buy anything and that I’d consider it down the road, but not today.
          • You really want an extended warranty on this truck because it’s a $76k vehicle.
          • Etc, etc.
        • I let him know that I won’t be buying the extended warranty and I receive more passive-aggressiveness.
          • He even responds that “I guess I’ll have to revise the contract now”. (Um, yeah - hence why I hadn’t started to write my down payment yet)
      • John produces a new contract. I start validating all the numbers back to a spreadsheet that I had build that accounts for each of the moving parts, including payment calculations, sales tax, admin fee, ... everything.
        • I’m working through it quickly, but John gets annoyed that I’m reconciling the financial amounts back to my own source.
        • He sharply says “Is there something wrong”. I nicely indicate - “No, I just like to validate all figures before I sign”.
      • I ask a couple of questions here and there as we finalize the paperwork. Nothing huge, but if you have a question, you have a question.
      • At some point, the electronic signature keypad he has stopped working (not his, nor my, fault. Just a computer glitch). He responds - “great, now I’ll have to reboot my computer. I really don’t have time for this today.” - keep in mind, this is like 8:45 in the morning.

All’s well that ends well. Just an odd experience; good sales guy; bad finance guy that was more or less a D-Bag.
Finance guys suck. Period. Every car I have bought.

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost

Sales vs Finance guy

• Etc, etc.

Well, that is certainly not the experience you want when you’ve been waiting so long for your truck to arrive. At least it’s home now. I have a few more days until pickup.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since the truck has been built. Still "awaiting shipment".
That is absolutely baffling. What could possibly be holding it up? I sincerely hope that the tracker is wrong and it miraculously shows up.

remtiwk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
That is absolutely baffling. What could possibly be holding it up? I sincerely hope that the tracker is wrong and it miraculously shows up.
Wish I knew. Here is a current status report. It now has a start date of 3/23, so maybe that means it will ship tomorrow? I don't have a lot of confidence it will.. ha.

Ford F-150 22 FEB week builds screenshot_20210322_114025_chrome_8adb08795f8e49f6e2ed9c37a6062505b124b367

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m not shocked that Ford found a way to hold your truck for an undisclosed reason, as that seems to be what they do best. It is, as I said a bit baffling, Dearborn trucks produced that week seem to have found their way to the dealership/members in a timely manner. Fingers crossed!

Sponsored

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The ETA for mine is the 24th, salesman confirmed an ETA of the 28th, and that it's sitting in Clovis NM. Jokingly discussed driving and picking it up it's so close!

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Mines been at the rail yard about 3 miles from my dealer for a few days now. I literally want to offer to drive it over for them!

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Me waiting for my dealer to prep my truck, so I can pick it up.

Ford F-150 22 FEB week builds 1616531764393

Sbdavis1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 Lariat ordered 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Financial Planner, Lawyer
Me waiting for my dealer to prep my truck, so I can pick it up.

1616531764393.png
I called my dealer to tell him it arrived. I tracked it on palsapp and had the shipping manifest in hand so they couldn’t tell me they didn’t have it. Told him I needed it the next day and they made it happen. The PDI should only take a few hours. Crazy that we have to tell someone to do their job so they can sell us the vehicles we ordered given that is the only way they make a living. In my case I simply told them I had a one day window with my PCO as I was out of town the next week and otherwise I’d sit on it and wait for a comparable offer as I’d already waited 6 months. Turns out they could get it ready the next day.

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Wtf. Just tracked via Norfolk southern and it said it departed my city today!?!?!? Wtf the rail yard is 3 miles from my dealer and it’s been sitting there for 3 days.
Sponsored