Sponsored

21 XLT wiring upgrade to power fold/extend tow mirrors.

Tlusk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
Many thanks for the quick reply Tlusk7! I have a local guy nearby that is a genius when it comes to 12 volt electric stuff. I may reach out to him using your guidance. I was hoping that the ml3z14631 wiring harness that HammaMan mentioned (oem for Platinum) would basically be a plug and play. When I switched from the original smaller mirrors that came with the truck to the towing mirrors, everything worked perfectly without any reprogramming (Forscan) ....puddle lights, heated function, running lights, auto dimming, BLISS etc. Guess I lucked out on that part of it.
It will be plug and play but far more expensive. The features worked because they were enabled in the DDM and PDM for the previous mirrors. The modules do not know you have tow mirrors with power telescoping available, so you have to use forscan to turn that on in those modules. Like I said before, you also need to enable the mirror running lights if you want those on your new tow mirrors. This allows the lights on the front of the mirrors to illuminate while driving.
Sponsored

Geoman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Powerboost,
Occupation
Retired
Ah....that makes sense. I didn't even know there were running lights while driving! I saw all of your suggestions for the FORSCAN links, but a Ford dealer should be able to run the scan after I do the wiring correct? I'm really glad I joined this group. Your help is invaluable! Many thanks.

Tlusk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
Ah....that makes sense. I didn't even know there were running lights while driving! I saw all of your suggestions for the FORSCAN links, but a Ford dealer should be able to run the scan after I do the wiring correct? I'm really glad I joined this group. Your help is invaluable! Many thanks.
No, a ford dealer cannot change as built values with FDRS. You will have to do it yourself with a windows pc and forscan and a EX link OBDII adapter.

Geoman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Powerboost,
Occupation
Retired
How do you get all of the FORSCAN stuff and how much does it all cost? Starting to think the power mirror extension thing may not be worth the effort?

719F250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F250
I have a '23 F250 XLT with manual fold mirrors and have been trying to get them converted over to the power fold. The DDM/PDM is a bit different in the Forscan setup. The previous "tweaks" do not work in the '23. Also, the prior years' ('17-22) mirrors to not fit, just a little different. I bought some used '22 power folding mirrors with damaged outer housings and thought I would just change my housings to them. Pretty much everything internal is different with the 23 versus previous years. Also, the '17-22 F250 mirrors do not fit on the door, just a bit too big.

To make a long story short, I've discovered that the internal door window switch, as well as the housing, is the same as the 21-23 F150. Through research, the '23 F250 DDM/PDM has the same pinouts as the '21-23 F150. This makes me wonder if the power mirrors are also the same. The mirror bases are very close with the '23 F250 being about 1/4" shorter on the base that mounts to the door versus prior years.

Is there a chance someone with '21-23 F150 could measure the trailing outer edge that attaches to the door? I need the measurement front the top of the point straight down to where it meets the door window sill.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, measurement while on the truck is fine.

Ford F-150 21 XLT wiring upgrade to power fold/extend tow mirrors. 20231209_092829

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tlusk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
How do you get all of the FORSCAN stuff and how much does it all cost? Starting to think the power mirror extension thing may not be worth the effort?
https://www.forscan.org/

Program and license are free. Need a windows laptop and dongle is like $60

Tlusk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
I have a '23 F250 XLT with manual fold mirrors and have been trying to get them converted over to the power fold. The DDM/PDM is a bit different in the Forscan setup. The previous "tweaks" do not work in the '23. Also, the prior years' ('17-22) mirrors to not fit, just a little different. I bought some used '22 power folding mirrors with damaged outer housings and thought I would just change my housings to them. Pretty much everything internal is different with the 23 versus previous years. Also, the '17-22 F250 mirrors do not fit on the door, just a bit too big.

To make a long story short, I've discovered that the internal door window switch, as well as the housing, is the same as the 21-23 F150. Through research, the '23 F250 DDM/PDM has the same pinouts as the '21-23 F150. This makes me wonder if the power mirrors are also the same. The mirror bases are very close with the '23 F250 being about 1/4" shorter on the base that mounts to the door versus prior years.

Is there a chance someone with '21-23 F150 could measure the trailing outer edge that attaches to the door? I need the measurement front the top of the point straight down to where it meets the door window sill.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, measurement while on the truck is fine.

20231209_092829.jpg

I’m sure I can take that measurement. Can you not find the specs online? I have a 23. You do know you will have to wire in the switch and pin out the power fold for both door modules right?

719F250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F250
Yes, I know about the wiring. The passenger side is fully wired for all the functions, only the driver side needing some extra added. I have looked online for some measured drawings but haven't seen anything.

Tlusk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
Yes, I know about the wiring. The passenger side is fully wired for all the functions, only the driver side needing some extra added. I have looked online for some measured drawings but haven't seen anything.

The passenger side is not wired. You will have to pin out the power for the telescope in and out. See the schematics in my google drive link in my signature. I forgot to take measurements I’ll try and remember to do that today.

719F250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F250
@Tlusk7 I did get the modules programmed through trial and error and they are folding/unfolding now. I have been testing on a set from a '22 that don't mount on '23 door frame... just sorta dangling for testing.

I am not using the extend function now as I only have the fold button switch (from '23 F150) with existing molding. I'll need to get the new door trim piece with the extend button and then I'll work on the wiring you have detailed, excellent work.

Now just to find out if the '21-23 F150 tow mirrors fit on a '23 F250. OEMs are out of my price range right now, and for some reason, F150s parts are cheaper. Boost mirrors are pretty good quality except they don't have '23 F250 tows yet. But they do have '21-23 tows.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ricksc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Did you have to change master window switch panel to get the mirrors to fold with truck running? My 2022 does not have the fold button. I would like them to fold for tight spots while driving.
Thanks

Tlusk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
Did you have to change master window switch panel to get the mirrors to fold with truck running? My 2022 does not have the fold button. I would like them to fold for tight spots while driving.
Thanks
If you don’t have the fold button, to add it you will need the switch panel, the mirrors with fold motors, and will have to wire it all in.

bhamilton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost
Anybody happen to have the pinout for the lock switch? The bezel for the memory one is on backorder and I get all the other parts on Monday. Thinking of pinning the connector from the old harness onto the new one so I can use my existing.

Tlusk7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
Anybody happen to have the pinout for the lock switch? The bezel for the memory one is on backorder and I get all the other parts on Monday. Thinking of pinning the connector from the old harness onto the new one so I can use my existing.
I’m not sure if I have the memory lock switch or not. I have tons of schematics on my google drive in my signature below, I just looked briefly but you will have to look through the folders and pages. You can also go to https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/SetCountry?returnUrl=/ and pull it yourself for $26
Sponsored