Sponsored

'21 Space White XLT – Built for thrashing

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Curious what you did not like about your Tundra? What problems were you having?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Curious what you did not like about your Tundra? What problems were you having?
I had a series of small issues -- noisy skid plate, Bluetooth not connecting, saggy rear end (just had to ad a leaf, but for water and camping gear), what I thought was a CV joint -- again the skid plate.

Then the big ones: leaky seal (master?), And then time chain tensioners or maybe phasers (I traded it in before finding out).

Small annoyances: the seats were incredibly uncomfortable (Turd Pro), and the exhaust was excessively loud (especially when towing). The mpg was insanely horrendous -- sometimes less than 10 w/ just camping gear.

I was bummed to get rid of it for just two reasons: the transmission is amazing, the off-road chops were very good. But these did not outweigh the other issues.

Reactions: 780

Dnpbakon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT F150 leadfoot
Occupation
Retired Military
I had a series of small issues -- noisy skid plate, Bluetooth not connecting, saggy rear end (just had to ad a leaf, but for water and camping gear), what I thought was a CV joint -- again the skid plate.

Then the big ones: leaky seal (master?), And then time chain tensioners or maybe phasers (I traded it in before finding out).

Small annoyances: the seats were incredibly uncomfortable (Turd Pro), and the exhaust was excessively loud (especially when towing). The mpg was insanely horrendous -- sometimes less than 10 w/ just camping gear.

I was bummed to get rid of it for just two reasons: the transmission is amazing, the off-road chops were very good. But these did not outweigh the other issues.
Have you had any issues with the f150? Many experience the tranny shifting issues and idle vibrations.

I want to love this truck even more when I see threads like yours but the small issues make it very hard.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Have you had any issues with the f150? Many experience the tranny shifting issues and idle vibrations.

I want to love this truck even more when I see threads like yours but the small issues make it very hard.
I've had zero issues! I'm at 14k miles and love it more every 1k. The tranny took a little getting used to (it to learn my driving habits, me to getting used to 10 gears). It took about 6k miles to really smooth out, but for normal driving in 2hi and 4hi it's been great! I'd say buttery smooth in fact. I have noticed in 4lo it gets stuck in 2nd when under load, but not so bad it's been a problem, it just doesn't like to shift up when going down hill (I drive in M 90% of the time off-road).

I did adjust my doors to make them flush, but that was easy enough. Android auto is a little finiky at times, but Bluetooth has been solid. And I have learned to like the onboard map more anyway.

I can't get over how quiet the rig is, even at highway speeds. It's like driving a luxury car.

With the number of F150s sold, I'm not surprised their are reported issues. My experience has been great, but then again that's why I went with the 3.5 EC -- tried and tested.

MTNMN

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (2022 F-150 King Ranch On Order)

If a small idle vibration makes you not enjoy your truck, then you dont want to enjoy it.

how long do you spend sitting around idling?

The transmission issues smooth out over time as it learns. How may miles on your truck?

Sponsored

Dnpbakon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT F150 leadfoot
Occupation
Retired Military
If a small idle vibration makes you not enjoy your truck, then you dont want to enjoy it.

how long do you spend sitting around idling?

The transmission issues smooth out over time as it learns. How may miles on your truck?
This is my first full size, coming from a Tacoma that didn’t seem like it was even on, it was a bit different. Just trying to gauge if it’s an issue or not. I agree with you 100% though.
This 2022 has 1300 miles. The 2021 I had had 4000 miles before the dealer bought it back.

MTNMN

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is my first full size, coming from a Tacoma that didn’t seem like it was even on, it was a bit different. Just trying to gauge if it’s an issue or not. I agree with you 100% though.
This 2022 has 1300 miles. The 2021 I had had 4000 miles before the dealer bought it back.
Oh wow, yeah your transmission is still in the honeymoon phase,

Give it til 5000 miles and it will be smooth as butter.

Dnpbakon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT F150 leadfoot
Occupation
Retired Military
Oh wow, yeah your transmission is still in the honeymoon phase,

Give it til 5000 miles and it will be smooth as butter.
That seems to be the general consensus! And you have to remember living in Florida, I’m at idle a lot in traffic lol. So it comes into play a tad bit more.

MTNMN

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That seems to be the general consensus! And you have to remember living in Florida, I’m at idle a lot in traffic lol. So it comes into play a tad bit more.
What is this traffic thing you speak of?

Yukon is almost three times the size of Florida with 35000 people.

Ron Disantis makes Flroida seem eppealing, but not enough to deal with the population lol

Dnpbakon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT F150 leadfoot
Occupation
Retired Military
What is this traffic thing you speak of?

Yukon is almost three times the size of Florida with 35000 people.

Ron Disantis makes Flroida seem eppealing, but not enough to deal with the population lol
Lmao that’s the realest thing I’ve ever read. To be fair, the portion of Florida you may be thinking of is anything South of Orlando. From there on up it’s totally different. However I95 still gets cluttered with semis and out of state jack wagons.

Sponsored

MTNMN

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lmao that’s the realest thing I’ve ever read. To be fair, the portion of Florida you may be thinking of is anything South of Orlando. From there on up it’s totally different. However I95 still gets cluttered with semis and out of state jack wagons.
For sure. guess i need to move north beside Bobby Boucher LOL

GWARDO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Altas Blue Tremor 402a delivery date May
Thanks for the useful post. I have Tremor on order and have purchased Fuel Rush 18x9 +20 (very similar to your Shok). After doing some research, I have realized the RidgeGrapplers in 285/75 18 are a 35.1 inch tire not 34 inch referred to in this thread. It should also be noted that the RG is larger than other brands in that size. All other brands which come in at 34.8 and a bit narrower too.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Thanks for the useful post. I have Tremor on order and have purchased Fuel Rush 18x9 +20 (very similar to your Shok). After doing some research, I have realized the RidgeGrapplers in 285/75 18 are a 35.1 inch tire not 34 inch referred to in this thread. It should also be noted that the RG is larger than other brands in that size. All other brands which come in at 34.8 and a bit narrower too.
No, those are true 34" tires. I measured them. What is advertised is never the actual diameter. For instance, most 35" tires are typically closer to 34.5" tires. The best way to accurately calculate the size of a tire is to find the revolutions/mile and then use that to calculate the diameter. Or use this formula: 63360/(revolutions/mile)/3.14. So in this case, going off of information given by TireRack, this tire would be 33.8" = (63360/596/3.14) –- which is about what I measured w/ a tape at full pressure.

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Hey Friends,

Just got back from 3 weeks in the Baja. The truck performed flawlessly! Such a great rig for that kind of adventure. I'm putting together a multi-part VLOG. The first two just went live tonight, and I thought I'd share the first one because it's all about the build:

Sponsored